View previous topic | View next topic

Neutral in electrics?

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sadurian Mike
530053.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote

I've been sat munching popcorn with a bemused facial expression since the sixth post.

Posital
530054.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote

Oooo - sorry to hear that - nasty echo in here...

Oooo - sorry to hear that - nasty echo in here...

bobwilson
530056.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote

my double posting is as mysterious to me as the UK domestic electrical system - rather odd that - and both with the same time stamp too.

Family
530075.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Live - Neutral - Earth.

(Remind me not to ask Ion Zone to rewire my plugs).

As I understand it (and I am certainly no expert), the Live carries the current from the generating source (battery or mains input) to the device, and the Neutral carries it away from the device being wired in.

The Earth is there to carry away any electricity that somehow escapes the confines of the wires and gets into the body of the device (electricity preferring to go down the Earth wire than through the relatively non-conducting material surrounding it).

OK, I admit it, this was a leading question. The thing I don't understand is when you have a 3-phase (Delta) circuit, i.e. no neutral, where is the return path for the current there?

Thanks for any enlightenment,

Julian

Posital
530107.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote

Tries again.

Electricity come in three phases. These three phases go into a transformer in three separate coils.

Neutral is formed on the other side of a transformer.

The other side of the transformer also has three coils - but you connect one side of each of the three coils together to form Neutral.

(remember it's AC - and works very differently to DC)

This leaves the other side of the three coils to form three differently phased Live wires for three different sets of houses.

Earth is simply a metal rod sticking into the ground.

bobwilson
530117.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote

nope - sorry Posital - still a total mystery. I withdraw my comment about you being an eejit who knos nuffing about fizzicks - I have no idea how electricity works in a domestic environment (but I do know how to split an atom, if that helps?)

Sadurian Mike
530130.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote

Of course, with us being such 'lectric fickos, he could be making it all up and we'd have no idea.

bobwilson
530134.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote

I'd believe that Mike - except, when I apply what I know I have the idea that electricity in a domestic system is switched phase - so it flows in both directions - which doesn't make sense in light of the Live and Neutral epithets. Nope, I just don't understand it.

Posital
530135.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
I have no idea how electricity works in a domestic environment

Oh no - you're not going to tell me there are two types of electromagnetism to match the two ones for gravity (mentioned elsewhere (long and short)). The domestic electromagnetism and the industrial electromagnetism?

Sorry - I shouldn't mock the afflicted...

bobwilson
530157.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
there are two types of electromagnetism to match the two ones for gravity (mentioned elsewhere (long and short)).

there are? I didn't know that?

nitwit02
530172.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
In foreign countries, don't mess with their wires and plugs, they are all mad, bad, and dangerous to know; especially in North America.

I totally agree - one of the areas of excellence in the UK is the domestic wiring - why no other countries have followed the three wire / safe wire system I have never understood.

In most modern homes in Canada, wall sockets designed for heavy duty service (stoves, fridges, electronics,etc) have 3 pins.

bobwilson
530173.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote

ooh nitwit - so they are catching up then. In the UK ALL domestic applicances - from 25W lights to televisions to stereos - light use or heavy use - have three pins.

nitwit02
530176.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote

We have 5 pin bowling - the yanks use 10.

Sadurian Mike
530177.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote

Well we all know they need a bigger target to aim for.

I'm just surprised they don't jump the guard rails and hit the pins on the lane next to them.

nitwit02
530178.  Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote

Oh they do, they do ......

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next