View previous topic | View next topic

General Ignorance: Henry VIII

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
24507.  Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:25 am Reply with quote

Question: How many times was Henry VIII married?

Answer: twice (I think)

This question stems from the fact that an annulment means that technically the marriage was unlawful and could not have taken place. It´s a fact I´ve read a lot, but am a little unsure of the technicalities of it. I hoped someone here would have a better idea.

Anyhow, Henry´s marriage to Anne of Cleves was certainly annulled rather than ending in divorce, which would take the number down from 6 to 5. According to this site, 4 of his marriages ended in annullment:

http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Wives_of_Henry_VIII

Quote:
A mnemonic for the fates of Henry's wives is "divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived." An alternate version is "King Henry the Eighth, to six wives he was wedded: One died, one survived, two divorced, two beheaded."

Some may dub these as misleading doggerel, and that Henry was never technically divorced from any of his wives, rather that his marriages to them were annulled. Likewise four marriages—not two—"ended" in annulments, Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, one could argue according to the technicalities of annulment, were never his wives at all.

What you think?

JumpingJack
24510.  Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:39 am Reply with quote

Ha ha, eggster!

For once, we have beaten you to it!

We did this in Series A. I did the research and I made it either 3 or 4 marriages depending on whether you believed Henry's version or the Pope's.

Neither of them, of course, thought he was married six times...

eggshaped
24547.  Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:26 am Reply with quote

CURSES!!!

<adds support to the get QI on DVD campaign>

Moderator - feel free to remove this superfluous thread

Page 1 of 1