View previous topic | View next topic

What was Crippen's job when he worked in England?

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
753377.  Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote

Hawley Harvey Crippen was not allowed to work as a doctor when he came to England.

Crippen, an American, trained as a homeopath and got an M.D. degree from Cleveland's Homeopathic Hospital. He got a job working for a homeopathic pharmaceutical company called Munyon's Homeopathic Remedies from which he got fired.

When he moved to England with his second wife (and murder victim) Cora Turner, the authorities refused to recognise his credentials and thus he was not allowed to work as a doctor. He instead became a medical adviser to a dentist.

Sources: The Quackometer, Crime and Investigation, and Murder in the UK

CB27
753392.  Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
When he moved to England with his second wife (and murder victim) Cora Turner...

Some people might sound a klaxon to that.

:)

Ian Dunn
753396.  Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
When he moved to England with his second wife (and murder victim) Cora Turner...

Some people might sound a klaxon to that.

:)

Some would, but then there is doubt about the evidence which claim that he was innocent. It is up in the air as they say.

CB27
753422.  Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote

I was thinking more of the theory that he might be guilty of murder, but that it wasn't his wife :)

suze
753450.  Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote

Is this the theory that he was working illicitly as an abortionist, and the body in his cellar was that of a woman who died as a result of his surgery?

But if so, what did happen to his wife?

CB27
753515.  Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Ooh, I don't know about the story of the woman dying from an abortion, I was thinking of something I read some time back about family members of Cora who did a DNA test and compared it with samples of the body found and that it showed they didn't match.

Zebra57
753531.  Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote

I understand that in the USA some of his descendants are seeking to clear his name and have his body buried in a family plot in the USA.

Page 1 of 1