View previous topic | View next topic

The Worst Job in America

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Posital
527824.  Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Wiki wrote:
The term Curse of Tippecanoe is sometimes used to describe the pattern where from 1840 to 1960 each American President who had won election in a year ending in zero (such as 1880 or 1900) died in office. It was broken by Ronald Reagan, who survived being wounded in a March 1981 shooting.

We've missed a few since then - dammit.

bobwilson
527833.  Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote

yes but - when contemplating the 1980 president (Reagan) and the 2000 president (Dubya) the assassin must have said to himself "they can't mean him surely, where's the real president?"

Ian Dunn
527967.  Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
It isn't necessarily the worst job in the USA, since quite a lot of people seem to want it.

But there is one job in the USA which carries a death risk of 3,636 per 100,000 per year while in the job - more than forty times as dangerous as lumberjacking.

I speak, of course, of the office of President.

Yes, but when you consider that only 44 people have been president, that does appear to be somethign of a rather small sample.

suze
528119.  Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote

Oh, of course it's a small sample - and in fact even smaller than you suggest, since Barack Obama is called the 44th President even though he is fact the 43rd person to hold the office.

But of the 42 ex-Presidents, eight of them died before their term was up (four assassinations, one heart attack, one stroke, one from pneumonia, and one from food poisoning).

samivel
528398.  Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Oh, of course it's a small sample - and in fact even smaller than you suggest, since Barack Obama is called the 44th President even though he is fact the 43rd person to hold the office.

Damn Grover Cleveland for making it confusing.

Oolon Colluphid
532326.  Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:44 am Reply with quote

They didn't mention this in The Lumberjack Song. Maybe wearing suspenders and a bra helps?

dale77
532669.  Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Barack Obama maybe the 44th President of the United States. But if you are talking about holding office, you should not forget about the previous 13 Presidents of America before Washington. Making Obama the 57th American President

Jenny
532901.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote

dale77 wrote:
Barack Obama maybe the 44th President of the United States. But if you are talking about holding office, you should not forget about the previous 13 Presidents of America before Washington. Making Obama the 57th American President

We had some discussion about this during research for the C series.

Starfish13
533681.  Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote

As well as mining, I'd have thought that contstruction work and foundry work would be far more dangerous than some of the things on the list. And what about police and fire service? An EMT is what we call a paramedic in the UK, and i'd have thought that an american cop has a lot more chance of being killed in their line of work thant a paramedic (even taking ER as my main frame of reference).

ColinM
540517.  Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
It isn't necessarily the worst job in the USA, since quite a lot of people seem to want it.

But there is one job in the USA which carries a death risk of 3,636 per 100,000 per year while in the job - more than forty times as dangerous as lumberjacking.

I speak, of course, of the office of President.

A bit of thought tells me that the problem here isn't small sample size (though that doesn't help). The real problem is that the statistics aren't really comparable at all.

Firstly it's not at all clear that the same thing is being measured in each case. For instance it's not stated if the lumberjacks have to die at work to count, or if it has to be work-related. Without knowing that we can't compare the numbers directly, as they aren't saying the same thing.

Possibly worse is the fact that the presidential data were collected over a period of over 200 years, whereas those from other professions is rather more recent. Given the rather spectacular improvements in medicine over that period I don't think your data accurately reflect the fatality rate of the office of president today.

Not that this is terribly useful as such; I just think it's an interesting example of how statistics can be incredibly misleading without actually being wrong.

MarcusTee
739883.  Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote

[quote="suze"]Oh, of course it's a small sample - and in fact even smaller than you suggest, since Barack Obama is called the 44th President even though he is fact the 43rd person to hold the office.

What about David Rice Atchison?

CB27
739911.  Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote

While Atchinson is an interesting case, the fact remains that Taylor was certified as President, just not sworn in because it was Sunday. If we accept that Atchinson was technically a president because he was sworn in before Taylor then there may be dozens of other claimants who were sworn in as vice presidents before the presidents themselves.

suze
739913.  Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote

Interesting as the claim is that Mr Atchison was President for a brief period in 1849, it doesn't really stack up.

See post 389895 for an explanation of why not.

MarcusTee
739920.  Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
While Atchinson is an interesting case, the fact remains that Taylor was certified as President, just not sworn in because it was Sunday. If we accept that Atchinson was technically a president because he was sworn in before Taylor then there may be dozens of other claimants who were sworn in as vice presidents before the presidents themselves.

My point exactly. Who's to know? Shows you what a dismal state politics is in. Always has been.

Eric the Underwriter
753763.  Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote

Sorry folks you are confusing two matters here.

Worst job is diffrent to the job with most danger.

The survey looked at various matters including pay, conditions worked in etc. Yes these may have a bearing on the job as being worst. Correct.

However does not make this a "danger" job.

From a life assurance point of view. Binman is a sh*ty job but risks are low and not far from an office worker.

A jet fighter pilot........is glam, well paid and not safe.......the extra mortality money for this job is large(same for a F1 driver, about the same as someone that had aggresive breast cancer!)

So worst job does not equal most risky. So the crab fisher does remain "top dog" as risky job via life assurance stats. Worst job? What ever job you get paid peanuts, sh*t on and f*cking hate...........oh my job in a safe office then!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next