Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sadurian Mike
637707.  Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote

spam spam spam spam

gruff5
637748.  Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote

Hydra-Lernae wrote:
Well, technically all those examples do not show animals that can be eaten without killing them, but PARTS of animals, or fungi.

I guess the aforementioned tapeworm cab be eaten without killing it.

thegrandwazoo
637760.  Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote

In a TV doc a while ago Charles Rangeley-Wilson was in Japan investigating their relationship with fish. He went to a restaurant where you could catch your own fish and the chef then prepared it. When it arrived on his plate it had been beautifully sushied but unfortunately was still alive. He was not impressed! The disturbing thing was that the restaurant was very popular with families.

Sadurian Mike
637763.  Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote

(Sushi is the rice-based food, Sashimi is the fish carving).

gruff5
638316.  Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote

This was in the Telegraph online today - a fried fish eaten alive in a restaurant in China. Obviously, don't watch if you don't want to see:

http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?&next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DGdiIg_39CUg

thegrandwazoo
638530.  Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
(Sushi is the rice-based food, Sashimi is the fish carving).

Thanks, I shall have to remember that when next at my local Japanese. I'd rather my food lay still on my plate.

Sadurian Mike
638531.  Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote

Order the beef teryaki. If that is still wriggling then you know you are in big trouble.

stee
644187.  Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:36 am Reply with quote

Sorry for the bump, but I've just been reminded about this by my colleagues lunch!

What about tongue?

You can cut out an animal's tongue without killing it, and ox / cow tongue is not just food, it's tasty food!

gruff5
644258.  Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote

Don't try that on "I'm a Celebrity".

I've been eaten alive by mosquitoes and am still here to type the tale.

tgrafton
654732.  Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote

Regarding the title of this thread of conversation - The only animal I'm aware of that one can eat without killing the animal is the Florida Stone Crab (2 species). These can crabs regenerate their claws perhaps 2 or 3 times over their 6 or 7 year life, and only one claw per animal is legally allowed to be harvested - the crab is returned to the water with one claw to have a good chance to eat and defend itself. Skilled crab fishermen develop a technique of removing the claw quickly without damaging the connecting joint, although this is not 100% effective, and not 100% of the crabs that survive do regenerate the claw. Still, this fishery is considered quite sustainable (the traps are designed to not capture small fish). The commercial fishing regulations are becoming more demanding to maintain sustainability of the populations, which are stable for the foreseeable future. The demand is moderated in no small part by the market price, which is even higher at restaurants such as Joe's on Miami Beach (the historic originator of this delicious meal, and the accompanying mustard sauce). Does anyone know of other actual examples of edible animal species that have regenerative parts? My joke about pigs without their feet riding around on little wagons does not always go over very well.

thedrew
654734.  Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote

The Northern Pacific sea star (gohongaze) is eaten in Japan. It can regenerate its limbs, as Australian hunters have learned the hard way.

Timetrvlr
672710.  Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know of other actual examples of edible animal species that have regenerative parts?

Several species of lizard can shed their tails to escape danger while leaving a wriggling tail to distract the predator. They regenerate the tails in a few months time. I suppose one could make a dish of lizard tails but I'm told one could starve to death eating only lizard taiks, not enough fat in lizard flesh to sustain us.

bobwilson
672721.  Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know of other actual examples of edible animal species that have regenerative parts?

Why the need to regenerate?

You could eat a Ram's leg and he can still reproduce - the resulting lambs will have legs and the cycle can continue.

Zebra57
672772.  Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote

You could put frogs in wheelchairs and start a similar cycle

gruff5
672841.  Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote

Jonah?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next