View previous topic | View next topic

Animals you can eat without killing them

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

lap2601
525714.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:04 am Reply with quote

When we were in Rarotonga in the Cook Islands we were shown by the locals how you can squeeze a sea cucumber like a tube of toothpaste, eat their insides and chuck them back in the sea where they take about a year to grown back their insides!

Another interesting fact about Rarotonga - they have lots of short legged dogs (due to natural crossbreeding of a limited introduced population) that are generally pedally challenged having lost a leg in a road accident - the dogs are allowed to roam and they seem to have little road sense. We actually saw a two legged dog run quite quickly past us on the beach (one leg front and back diagonally opposite).

For an amazing two legged (hind legs only) dog I found on YouTube see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MexyuH-m97A

bobwilson
525772.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote

You don't have to kill a cow to get steak - although it's not a pleasant experience for the cow when you slice a bit off.

Posital
525779.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote

Those aliens just don't care how they get their steaks...

soup
525814.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
not a pleasant experience for the cow when you slice a bit off.

Shades of Torchwood there.

bobwilson
525823.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote

Well, I like my meat fresh!

Starfish13
525878.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote

The little crab thing that Rich Hall was talking about is a pea crab (family Pinnotheridae), which has a commensal symbiotic relationship with bivalve molluscs. I've found one in a mussel before, however it wasn't until after I'd cooked the mussels, so unfortunately it was nicely steamed in apple juice.

bemahan
525881.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
You don't have to kill a cow to get steak - although it's not a pleasant experience for the cow when you slice a bit off.

My son was under a similar impression when he was about 4. He loved bacon and asked where it came from. I explained it comes from the back of a pig and gestured vaguely at my rump. He asked, " How does it walk after that?"

Jenny
525957.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote

This thread header sounds like the pig with a wooden leg to me.

Posital
525967.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote

If mushrooms are animals - then I guess we eat them without killing them.

Ta-da!!

Frenetic
526053.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote

Tapeworm were once food!

I saw this in the cultural museum in Norfolk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abneypark/438537358/

bobwilson
526055.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote

There must be some peoples who believe that if you eat "dead" people they don't die but are subsumed within your spirit and become a part of the living you - and hence don't die? If there isn't then there damned well ought to be.

Sadurian Mike
527193.  Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote

Curried chicken often fights back if the sauce is hot enough.

nuttyskin
580343.  Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Anyone remember seeing Grub Smith eat a live squid on TV? - And the squid not only fought back, but actually fought its way right back out of his throat.

BTW, only the squid was live, not the TV: that was dead, pre-processed and consumed by couch-tuber.

Susannah Dingley
580360.  Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote

Live monkey brains: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_brain_(cuisine)

The Wikipedia article claims that the serving of live monkey brain in restaurants is an urban myth – but it is definitely not so. I have come across a website with photographic evidence of people eating a live monkey’s brain in a restaurant in Singapore. The poor monkey is force-fed strong liquor until it is helplessly drunk, then its skull is sliced horizontally, and it is served with its head resting on its chin on a plate and the rest of its body neatly trussed up behind. I just can’t find the website again – then again I’m most reluctant to visit the website again myself.

Ion Zone
580529.  Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote

That is just disgusting. That is all the justification an alien would need to try it on one of us.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next