View previous topic | View next topic

Why suddenly so international?

Page 1 of 1

Rudolph Hucker
525614.  Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote

If you rank posters by total posts and then look at the last four pages (228-231) nearly all of them are from very foriegn parts and joined very recently.

I wonder why this should be?

bobwilson
525629.  Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
If you rank posters by total posts

don't you mean by join date?

Rudolph Hucker
525630.  Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote

No.

But I suppose that would do the same thing.

Moosh
525633.  Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote

Well it's fairly obvious that people that joined very recently would have low post counts, and my first thought would be that people from various countries may be encouraged to join after seeing the QI twitter feed, as they may not have seen the show or known about it otherwise due to not being in the UK.

Jenny
525652.  Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Don't forget that not all posters who join up from foreign parts are genuine posters - some are spambots and duly get banned as such.

bobwilson
525659.  Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote

Re: Spambots. It's just occurred to me:

1. almost invariably the bots are put in place to direct people to a website by posting a link

2. separately, there is malware that infects multiple computers so that they are used to simultaneously request pages from a specific server causing that server to be unavailable

3. the malware is usually not visible to the computers that are infected - ie the PC owner is unaware that his computer is part of the Distributed Denial of Service attack

Given the above, how come nobody's set up a voluntary group whereby you install a benevolent malware app on your computer which will be triggered to orchestrate a DDOS attack on sites identified as using spambot advertising?

Or am I missing something?

Jenny
525660.  Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote

Well off you go and do it then, bob...

bobwilson
525661.  Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote

Ach no Jenny - I'm an ideas man, I don't actually create anything useful (unless you count hot air as useful?)

Moosh
525662.  Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote

Because, I'd rather my computer were not being controlled by anyone, whether it be for an ostensibly good purpose or not. And also I can't afford the resources in terms of the processor capacity and bandwidth that would be used, I need all that I have.

bobwilson
525663.  Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote

But Moosh - that simply says why you wouldn't subscribe to it - it doesn't explain why it doesn't exist.

Moosh
525671.  Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote

That's true Bob, I suppose if people are willing to let SETI or GIMPS use their computers then this isn't such an outlandish suggestion. Is it that easy to find the spambot servers? And who would be running it anyway?

Posital
525694.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Re: Spambots. It's just occurred to me:

1. almost invariably the bots are put in place to direct people to a website by posting a link

2. separately, there is malware that infects multiple computers so that they are used to simultaneously request pages from a specific server causing that server to be unavailable

3. the malware is usually not visible to the computers that are infected - ie the PC owner is unaware that his computer is part of the Distributed Denial of Service attack

Given the above, how come nobody's set up a voluntary group whereby you install a benevolent malware app on your computer which will be triggered to orchestrate a DDOS attack on sites identified as using spambot advertising?

Or am I missing something?

Yeah - it's been done but in a less offensive way.

There are DNS black lists (DNSBLs) that you can plug in to your spam filter or firewall. These are populated using this kind of information.

One small flaw in your plan - What would happen if I created spam that directed everyone to you or gov.uk?

bobwilson
525773.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote

That would only be a flaw if the process were fully automated. If, however, it was manually controlled (ie potential spambot identified, website visited by human, checks and balances, then activate the DDOS attack) it could work. Although it might be illegal - now that would be a flaw.

Posital
525780.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote

Never stopped us before - eh?

Page 1 of 1