View previous topic | View next topic

Hear the people

Page 1 of 1

roughandy
524974.  Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote

QI should have a part fro hearing the people. sent e-mails and letters with Qi subjects, like:

In portuguese turkey is Peru....and I thought how can someone name a countre Peru (turkey), but we have a country called Peru and Turkey...LoL

Jenny
524988.  Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote

Roughandy - this site is exactly for people to post QI information. Thank you for your post. I had a look for the word Turkey on an online dictionary that offers Portugese translation, http://www.woxikon.com/eng/turkey.php, and they do distinguish between the bird, which as you rightly say is peru, and the country, which is Turquia.

suze
524996.  Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote

In Turkish, that animal is called a hindi, while in Hindi it's called a peru (probably a borrowing from Portuguese).

post 131012 refers.

zomgmouse
574759.  Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote

In Russian it's an "indyuk".

Posital
574760.  Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote

I wonder where the name turkey comes from - as in mexico it's a guajolote... which I think is nahuatl.

samivel
574969.  Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote

The name turkey comes from the fact that the traders of the birds were Turkish, does it not?

speciesguy
587664.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote

There is some smart people on here to know these facts about Turkey.

Posital
587667.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
The name turkey comes from the fact that the traders of the birds were Turkish, does it not?
Unlikely, they are native to north america.

Sebastian flyte
587674.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
I wonder where the name turkey comes from - as in mexico it's a guajolote... which I think is nahuatl.
I have a little puppet that is called Narwottle after a misspelling in the British Museum that once amused my Father. He gifted me the puppet. Sorry for my irrelevance.

suze
587699.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote

It seems that we call a turkey a turkey because early European explorers of the Americas thought they were big guinea fowl. And guinea fowl did indeed come to Europe via Turkish traders.

Unsurprisingly the word for them in indigenous languages is nothing to do with India, Turkey, or anywhere else.

Mind you, the Choctaw found it appropriate to change the word they use, and these days they call a turkey akankchaaha (literally "tall chicken"). Before the Choctaw learned English, their word for a turkey was fukit.

Sadurian Mike
587702.  Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Before the Choctaw learned English, their word for a turkey was fukit.

Gobble gobble gobble.

dr.bob
587850.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
It seems that we call a turkey a turkey because early European explorers of the Americas thought they were big guinea fowl. And guinea fowl did indeed come to Europe via Turkish traders.

So why don't we call a guinea fowl a turkey?

Efros
587903.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote

French I believe it's "dindon", not sure of the etymology there but you know the French.

suze
587924.  Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quote

Yes, the French for a turkey is dinde or dindon. So called because some French person or another believed that the creatures were d'Inde.

As for guinea fowl, it seems that we did indeed call them "turkey birds" at the time that Europeans first came across turkeys in America. The usual name changed to (the more accurate, in any case) guinea fowl to avoid confusion with, erm, turkeys.

Page 1 of 1