Garden Screws

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

IronMonkey
525044.  Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Meh, as long as its interesting i don't mind

Jenny
525058.  Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote

Cannulated ought to mean hollow, and sub-capital ought to mean a break under the head of the femur, so a break on the 'neck' part.

AlmondFacialBar
525059.  Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote

graeme actually, as opposed to dr. chapman. and he's a medical doctor, too, btw. and gosh, yeah, that's qi!

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Sadurian Mike
525116.  Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Cannulated ought to mean hollow, and sub-capital ought to mean a break under the head of the femur, so a break on the 'neck' part.

Spot on.

Cannulated screws have a lower weight compared to solid ones and are easier to remove afterwards. Sub-capital basically indicates that the break is just below the head of the femur (i.e. where the knobby bit joins the main shaft).

Am I the only one vaguely disappointed by the real topic after reading the title?

mckeonj
525160.  Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote

Is this what you had in mind:

or maybe something a little racier?

bobwilson
525168.  Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote

maybe the prison warders who are in charge of the vegetable patch?

Ion Zone
525176.  Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote

I can see the neck, I think. Just below the ball joint.

Billybob
525238.  Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Graeme Garden's son plays keyboards in the Scissor Sisters. Is that QI?

gerontius grumpus
525628.  Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote

The main thing about cannulated screws is that they can be introduced over a guidewire.
First the guidewire is drilled into place, then the hole is reamed to the right size over the guidewire, it can be tapped if necessary and then the screw is screwed in over the guidewire which is then removed last of all.
It's like a bony equivalent of the Seldinger technique.

leeds6lad
769970.  Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote

Graeme Garden, is the comedian better known for being one of the Goodies trio. He studied medicine (at Cambridge), but never practised it after qualifying. Sounds like Cambridge University's 'Footlights' club seduced him into the entertaining people business.

Graeme Garden's dad was an orthopaedic surgeon who made a fundamental and pioneering contribution to orthopaedics (the medical specialty for bones) - in particular, a system for classifying broken hips (fracture neck of femurs specifically). His father is also well known for the so called Garden screw for fixing broken hips. He developed the classification in 1961 whilst he was at Preston Royal Infirmary as a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon under the name RS Garden in the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (a British journal at the time).

Incidentally, Graeme Garden's son is famous too - John Garden is a keyboardist for the famous Scissor Sisters (who I personally think are a bit overated).

Oh, and did you know that Tim Brooke-Taylor, one of the other Goodies, used to share a house with John Cleese and Graham Chapman....

It seems like the entertaining business is heavily dependant on interconnectedness and being in the right place at the right time. Perhaps with a bit of 'six degrees of separation' thrown in somewhere.

Ramesh Mehay, Leeds
(www.bradfordvts.co.uk - a website for doctors)

Posital
770013.  Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote

Is that spam in the last line - should we do a spam-ectomy?

(Where's my pocket-knife when I need it??)

leeds6lad
770097.  Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote

Hi there Mr Spamectomy, no, it's not spam. I wished you had taken a moment to look at the website my friend before hastily posting that comment because you will have realised that:

a) it is a FREE website
b) full of loads of useful resources, for doctors and other health professionals (particularly General Practitioners or Family Physicians)
c) provided out of an enormous amount of my and others' personal energy and time
d) provided because I thought that some doctors might end up reading this thread and the site might help THEM - I've nothing to gain - it already recieves half a million hits per year and it remains totally FREE and FREE OF ADVERTS

I also wished you had read the definition of spam before using that word - Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services. The website mentioned is simply FREE provided purely out of the goodness within. Why? Because most doctors are good people, who do the job because they feel it is a vocation. Not only that, but free contribution is one of the things that gives each and everyone of us, universal inner satisfaction and meaning to our lives. It's a shame that in today's society, it's recieved with scepticism.

Anyone interested in wanting to feel good within themselves through contribution therapy - plug in 'Pellin' and 'contribution' into Google.

Anyway, we digress from the main subject of this thread, so I'll leave it at that and hope that many of you are having a super Christmas and a jolly good time.

Ram
x

Bondee
770149.  Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote

leeds6lad wrote:
Hi there Mr Spamectomy, no, it's not spam.

To be fair, I thought it was spam too. It was your first post on the forum, it repeated a lot of information that's already been mentioned further up the thread and there's a link to your website at the end of it. Surely you can understand how we might've been mistaken?

Jenny
770156.  Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote

I think it's sufficiently non-commercial not to count as spam, so I'll let it be. Welcome to the forum leeds6lad, and stick around :-)

Posital
770201.  Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote

leeds6lad wrote:
Hi there Mr Spamectomy, no, it's not spam.
Welcome to the forum. I can see, "Dr Ramesh", you're passionate about the role of the Programme Director (Bradford GP Training Scheme, West Yorkshire).

As Bondee points out, spam is usually indicated by repetition of information with unrelated web links. But then it's usually also indicated by the poster never returning. Sir, you are an enigma.

Don't mind me and Welcome. :-)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next