View previous topic | View next topic

Do any of You Use Neuro-Linguistic Programming?

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mort
553824.  Thu May 14, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote

ColinM wrote:
Sadly common sense isn't all that common. So I guess teaching a bit of it shouldn't do any harm.

Another useful thing about NLP would be the placebo effect. Particularly when it comes to something like boosting confidence, this is nothing to be sneezed at. Still, the main problem with placebos is how expensive they tend to be.

Albert Einstein wrote:
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

Droid
553884.  Thu May 14, 2009 6:05 am Reply with quote

Mort wrote:

Albert Einstein wrote:
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

Oooh. I like that. Thanks Mort. If only I'd been able to quote that as a kid when dealing with an irate parent. Mind you, it would probably only have earned me another slap for being a smartmouth. I don't think I'll pass it on to my daughter just yet as she would probably use it and get us both into further troulbe ;-)

Mort
553903.  Thu May 14, 2009 7:01 am Reply with quote

It's good, isn't it? The problem with common sense is that there's nothing common about it, and it often doesn't make much sense.

llanyb
553907.  Thu May 14, 2009 7:16 am Reply with quote

Fascinated by all these people who claim they really don't care what anybody else thinks about them. So we can assume they really couldn't give a "flying fig" if someone starts a rumour that they're, for example, a paedophile ?

No, didn't think so.

tp
554127.  Thu May 14, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote

llanyb wrote:
Fascinated by all these people who claim they really don't care what anybody else thinks about them. So we can assume they really couldn't give a "flying fig" if someone starts a rumour that they're, for example, a paedophile ?

No, didn't think so.

That's an interesting point of course I am not completly immune to what people think, what I mean is that I am not really bothered to much if people don't like what I am. I would be bothered if people assumed me to be a peadophile because I am not. It doesn't however bother me that people think I'm an anachrocistic geek.

Posital
554129.  Thu May 14, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote

tp wrote:
It doesn't however bother me that people think I'm an anachrocistic geek.

But what about when people believe things that are not true about you?

tp
554140.  Thu May 14, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Well that is a different matter. Of course I don't want people to think untruths about me but that doesn't alter the way i behave.

ColinM
554299.  Fri May 15, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote

I'm not particularly bothered if people think bad things about me so long as they don't treat me badly as a result. I'd rather they think things that are true, or even things that are nice (if they can find some overlap). But as long as they don't shun or attack me I'm not terribly bothered about thier opinion.

RLDavies
554651.  Fri May 15, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote

On the magic forum I belong to, there's a regular trickle of discussions about NLP. Here are the two most recent threads. You may find some decent points in amongst the chatter:

1) Someone who thinks Derren Brown is doing exactly what he claims to be doing. HERE

2) Someone who is (or claims to be) a mentalist already and wants to know more about NLP before investing time and money on it. HERE (Includes a whole mass of NLP-related links, but I haven't followed up any of these.)

slade
561568.  Sat May 30, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4155

The excellent Brian Dunning tackles N-LP on his Skeptoid podcast this week, concluding (quite correctly) that it's a typically overblown bit of pseudoscience designed primarily to separate fools from their money. Click the link above to read (or hear) his full essay.

Last edited by slade on Sat May 30, 2009 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

QiScorpion
561596.  Sat May 30, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
I agree with bob - as a general rule of thumb, any tome that says on the cover 'this book will change your life', won't.

My now slightly bent copy of "The Meaning of Liff" has a sticker on saying "This book will change your life."

Are you saying that... that... that it WON'T change my life?? *cue much bottom-lip wobbling*

soup
625030.  Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:09 am Reply with quote

Now NLP organisations,British Board of Neuro Linguistic Programming (BBNLP), the United Fellowship of Hypnotherapists (UFH) and the Professional Hypnotherapy Practitioner Association (PHPA) have accepted a cat as a member, does this take their credibility any lower, can their credibility be any lower? (Not hypnosis, but the NLP umbrella organisations)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8303126.stm

'yorz
914482.  Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:41 am Reply with quote

I thought to resurrect this thread rather than starting a new one and referring to it.
Especially the first 2 pages are very good reading.
I missed it first time around, and perhaps some of the newbies here find something of interest here, too.

Efros
914506.  Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:53 am Reply with quote

Yeah missed it too, but the second post sums it up, NLP=Bollocks!

mckeonj
914508.  Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote

I'm not a newbie, nor am I a linguist, nor a psychologist, but I found it interesting.
What struck me was that the techniques examined in the earlier work seem designed to induce "decision fatigue" in the subject.

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next