View previous topic | View next topic

Do any of You Use Neuro-Linguistic Programming?

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Inquiring Mind
519907.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote

I've only read a little bit about this, and I'm just wondering how useful it can potentially be. From the little I have read, I get the impression that it can be very useful as long you don't go overboard with it, and just use some of the better principles it gives. Using it to the point where you come across as contrived certainly wouldn't be too useful I imagine.

I've asked a couple of people about this and they said they'd never heard of it, which surprised me a bit as I thought it was fairly well known. Like I've said, I only know the very basics myself. I looked up how much the classes cost and was pretty shocked at the prices. I'm thinking about just buying a couple of books about it first, before deciding to hand over a lot of money.

So what's your opinions of it? Have any of you went to one of these classes?
I've always had problems with confidence, and this seems like it might genuinely help to change people's lives.

AndyMcH
519921.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote

its basically bollocks...
but thats just my opinion

Ion Zone
519935.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote

So what is it? Some sort of therapy?

andrewtaylor
519939.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote

IIRC, the Derren (who is always right) basically says NLP is a few good ideas with a great deal of protective bullshit wrapped around it. Have you read Tricks of the Mind? Very good book.

Posital
519940.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Yes - it's basically a list of mental tricks (some based on research and theraputic methods) that seem to work for some people in some circumstances. It's not really anything coherent.

You have to be very careful and select the stuff that works for you.

Paul McKenna is/was associated with this, and there's some interesting references to the hypnotist Milton H Erickson.

The original Bandler and Grinder books are quite interesting - but do remember, they're only believable teenage fiction IMHO.

bobwilson
519941.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote

Having attended an NLP session paid for by my employer I'd say DTWABP (don't touch with a barge pole).

hugorune
519945.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote

After 2 minutes of on-line research I'd have to agree with Tubeway Andy.

Have a read at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming#NLP_and_science

especially section 2 (NLP and science).

Inquiring Mind
519957.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I first heard about it when reading the Derren Brown book. He didn't seem that impressed overall, but he said some of it could be useful. Maybe I've naively thought it's more useful than it really is. To be honest, the people charging those high prices for the classes obviously aren't in it for the love of it - and that is always suspicious. I'll look further into it, and maybe buy a book or two.

bobwilson
519961.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Can I sell you some snake oil Inquiring? It's really good - honest. Very cheap.

Posital
519973.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Inquiring Mind wrote:
Yeah, I first heard about it when reading the Derren Brown book. He didn't seem that impressed overall, but he said some of it could be useful. Maybe I've naively thought it's more useful than it really is. To be honest, the people charging those high prices for the classes obviously aren't in it for the love of it - and that is always suspicious. I'll look further into it, and maybe buy a book or two.

I've found most of the books in the bookshops are all talk and no trousers (don't buy them it only encourages them). See if you can get "the structure of magic" from a library.

Hey bob! Bob!! Look into the screen, look into the screen. Don't look away from the screen. Look into the screen... there... you're under.
You'll now be a strong advocate for everything NLP.
Eyes open! Wide awake!

Inquiring Mind
519974.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Can I sell you some snake oil Inquiring? It's really good - honest. Very cheap.

LOL. I'm honestly not like that. Brown's book itself was all about condemning charlatans. If I buy a 10 book and find out there's nothing at all useful about it, it will not be the end of the World.

bobwilson
519975.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Wow - NLP - you really should look into this - it's amazing stuff. Send Posital just $2000 (did I say $2000 - I meant $20000) and you'll never regret it. It changed my life.

Posital
519977.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote

*snaps fingers* You're back in the room, bob. Nice and relaxed.

*waits for money to roll in*

Ooooo - it works - look that's proof!!

bobwilson
519979.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote

So, as I was saying, this NLP stuff - nah. Don't bother. Don't work at all - wouldn't affect me in the slightest.

Posital
519980.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote

I'm just worried Inquiring Mind might actually accept that as proof that it works...

:-|

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next