View previous topic | View next topic

Antarctica

Page 1 of 1

Bondee
518695.  Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote

Only started a new thread to share this site that was mentioned in Metro last week...

http://www.freezeframe.ac.uk/

A collection of digitised photos from the Scott Polar Research Institute at Cambridge University.

I think this one is my personal favourite.

 
Hans Mof
536385.  Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote

There are several countries claiming Antarctic territory. Some of these countries mutually agree on each other's claims, however, no other countries do.

Though the claims have no actual relevance, cartographers often adhere to them, giving Antarctica the appearance of a sliced up ice cream bomb.

Claimants are:
Argentina, Australia, Chile, France, New Zealand, Norway and the United Kingdom

Germany and South Africa have given up their claims, with South Africa reserving its right to make new claims in future.
Brazil has a designated "zone of interest" that overlaps with Argentine, Chilean and UK claims.
Peru, and the US have reserved the right to make a claim in future. Russia has reserved its right to claim "territories discovered by Russians", which potentially may refer to the entire continent.

With that many interested parties it might be surprising that there's still some territory left. Mary Byrd Land, stretching between 158W and 10324'W, is still on offer though.

 
James Random
536512.  Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote

It's quite interesting to note that Antartica is named for the fact that it has no polar bears. In latin 'bear' comes from the word 'arctos'. So, antarctica got its name because it is anti-arctos (no bears) where the Arctic has plenty!

 
bobwilson
536521.  Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
With that many interested parties it might be surprising that there's still some territory left. Mary Byrd Land, stretching between 158W and 10324'W, is still on offer though.


Bagsies

 
dr.bob
536594.  Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:44 am Reply with quote

Not if I get there first!

<hurriedly packs huskies>

 
CB27
536695.  Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote

My trip will be more fun!

<hurriedly packs hussies>

 
bobwilson
537215.  Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote

But I'll be there first

<hurriedly packs hurries>

 
Posital
537220.  Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Sorry - got to cash in...

<huskily packs hearses>

 
Efros
572525.  Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:51 am Reply with quote

James Random wrote:
It's quite interesting to note that Antartica is named for the fact that it has no polar bears. In latin 'bear' comes from the word 'arctos'. So, antarctica got its name because it is anti-arctos (no bears) where the Arctic has plenty!


I think you'll find anti means opposite, so it is opposite to the arctic.

 
Barry McStay
611441.  Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote

James Random wrote:
It's quite interesting to note that Antartica is named for the fact that it has no polar bears. In latin 'bear' comes from the word 'arctos'. So, antarctica got its name because it is anti-arctos (no bears) where the Arctic has plenty!


Hate to be picky, but Arktos is Greek, not Latin. The Latin for bear is Ursus, as in Ursa Major, Ursus Ursus etc.

The Arctic was named for its bear, as I think was discussed on QI before - etymology here: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Arctic
The term "Arctic" became a catch-all for "of the North" so Antarctic was the anti-North, ie: South.
For anyone looking for Antarctic trivia, the story of New Swabia might interest you. It's the area which was claimed by Nazi Germany and reputed to be the location of underground experiments and a base for the development of Nazi UFOs.

 
nitwit02
611594.  Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
For anyone looking for Antarctic trivia, the story of New Swabia might interest you. It's the area which was claimed by Nazi Germany and reputed to be the location of underground experiments and a base for the development of Nazi UFOs.


That is fascinating!

 
Barry McStay
611636.  Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Swabia - more on New Swabia.

 

Page 1 of 1

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group