View previous topic | View next topic

Dissected

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

TwistedByKnaves
549840.  Thu May 07, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote

To say nothing of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

npower1
569074.  Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote

Sending this thread off into another discussion.

I got this from this Guardian article.

Quote:
The church also never tried to ban human dissection. I was amused to hear this story promulgated on the BBC show QI which usually prides itself in puncturing the conventional wisdom.

Which episode is this from? Has this mistake been noted before?

soup
569129.  Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Even so, an awful lot of people in Scotland state their nationality as Scottish - much as strictly speaking, it's wrong.

For the army (Scots get leave at Hogmanay the English get leave at Christmas obvoiusly this is not a hard and fast rule but one most COs tend to use) the nationality I had to put was Brit-scot.

soup
569130.  Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote

TwistedByKnaves wrote:
To say nothing of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Or the kingdom of Fife.

Davini994
569306.  Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote

npower1 wrote:
Which episode is this from? Has this mistake been noted before?

It's not on the transcripts... F series maybe. They aren't all up yet.

CB27
569457.  Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:45 am Reply with quote

I'm wondering whether this was a reference to chapter 11 in the F series, which touched on the painting of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

The discussion turned to whether the cape of God was a representation of a dissection of the brain which Michelangelo painted after seeing an illegal dissection.

I'm not sure Stephen meant that it was against the Church, but that it was illegal, but I don't have the transcripts for that particular show (I'm guessing Minerva's been very busy).

Stefan Linnemann
938029.  Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote

Following on from CB27 directly above: When Stephen wonders in the Film episode, where this "illegal dissection of the brain" was indeed the source of the shape of the red background thingy, I can think of one reason why Michelangelo would do this:
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
This is the (KJV) English translation of the start of the Gospel of John, which he wrote, of course, in Greek (rather educated for a fisherman, come to think of it), who was clearly heavily influenced by the Stoa, whose central God like concept is ὁ Λογος.

Cue Elves and Stephen to take this to its logical conclusion.

CB27
938034.  Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote

There's a very long dissection (excuse the pun) of Qi by an American viewer here which touches on the facts about Michelangelo about a quarter of the way down.

Bondee
938834.  Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote

The caricature of Alan could explain the Essex Lion.

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5