View previous topic | View next topic

Fork Week (a poem)

Page 1 of 1

efan78
518266.  Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Hi to all the QI forumites

This is a desperate attempt to find a poem that I'm sure existed, although I'm becoming less sure as I can't find it anywhere!

Has anyone else heard of a poem about cutlery that goes missing each week. It was written by someone like Roger McGough or Michael Rosen and if I don't find it I will drive myself potty!

I throw myself on your mercy and vast intellect (and if you could point me in the direction of somewhere that I can get my hands on a copy I will be eternally grateful!)

Thanks everyone

Ethan

bobwilson
518269.  Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote

do you remember anything more of it efan? a fragment of a line for instance? or an internal rhyme?

djgordy
518273.  Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote

I have a compendium of humorous verse somewhere so I'll have in a look in that when I can put my hands on it.

efan78
518274.  Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote

I'm afraid not Bob, it's one of those "I think I remember reading it in primary school, but no-one else remembers it so it may have been just in my mind" situations.

Although I must admit that your name has reminded me of another of my favourite childhood poems - the Stanley Bagshaw books, written by a Bob Wilson. That wasn't you by any chance was it as I remember him visiting my school and being very excited about meeting a real author!

And yet no-one else I know can remember those books either...

Oh, and thanks for coming back to me so quickly, and for looking when you get the chance djgordy.

Ethan

bobwilson
518277.  Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote

Well, here's an odd thing (by the way, Efan, no I'm not that Bob Wilson).

I went to look up Bob Wilson and Stanley Bagshaw on a FWSE (famous web search engine) and the first link has the description:

Quote:
Welcome to planetbob. My name is Bob Wilson I'm the author and illustrator who created the character of Stanley Bagshaw, who wrote 'Ging Gang Goolie, ...
www.stanleybagshaw.co.uk/ - 24k -

But when you click on the link it's just a place holder. How has google managed to index it with not just key words but a sensible paragraph header which isn't on the page?

PS - I was hoping to find that the sentence continued ....

"who wrote
'Ging Gang Goolie, Goolie, Watcha' "

a song I recall singing as a cub scout.

Edit: The myths and legends surrounding the song are much more interesting than I'd expected. Truth really is stranger than fiction

misterchris
518435.  Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:

But when you click on the link it's just a place holder. How has google managed to index it with not just key words but a sensible paragraph header which isn't on the page?

Google has indexed an old version of a site with the registered domain name www.stanleybagshaw.co.uk

I used the Wayback Machine which can be used to show old versions of websites. The earliest listing for www.stanleybagshaw.co.uk is dated June 21, 2006.

Quote:
Welcome to planetbob
My name is Bob Wilson
I'm the author and illustrator who created the character of Stanley Bagshaw,
who wrote 'Ging Gang Goolie, It's an Alien' - the book which started the Jets Series,
who warned the world about 'Dangerous Daisy,' and the other kids at 'Pump Street Primary',
who wrote the scripts for the TV series 'Joshua Jones, and worked with HRH the Prince of Wales to create the animated fim 'The Legend of Lochnagar.

skanksta
1050556.  Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote

You did not imagine it !
I remember this poem from school, but this is all I found searching for it.
It was definitely published in an anthology that was used in schools in the 1980s..

Cathkins
1157371.  Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:15 am Reply with quote

I know this poem: I'm pretty sure it's called "Fork Week", and am 100% positive it appeared in "You Tell Me", a 1980s compilation of Roger McGough and Michael Rosen's poetry.

It ended with something like "We won't see another fork 'til Tuesday. It's Fork Week".

This reply is probably far too late to be of any use, but I was just searching for the text online and this web page was the first thing I clicked on.

Jenny
1157392.  Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote

Hi Cathkins and welcome to the forums - always good to have a question answered, however long it takes for somebody to turn up who knows!

Page 1 of 1