View previous topic | View next topic

The Question Basket

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

brackett
23899.  Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Every week in Oxford, the QI building presents QI QUIZ NIGHT. Taking questions from series A and B, the quiz is much like any other pub quiz, only you have to yell out your answers and in most cases the interesting answer will get you more points than the right one. Points are deducted for obvious answers and so on. In fact, just like the actual show - only drunker.

What would be nice though, is that instead of taking questions from the show and rehashing them. We could come up with our own here, on this thread.

We need 20 questions every two weeks in order to keep the quiz going. So if you have any golden nuggetoids you think would make a good question - pop them in here.

The questions can be written in any form: multiple choice, Q and A, A and Q (?) However you want.

Last edited by brackett on Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:53 am; edited 2 times in total

brackett
23901.  Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:44 pm Reply with quote

QUESTION:

Who of the following actually taught Stan Laurel at school?

was it...

MULTIPLE CHOICE:

A) Mike Hunt
B) Master Bates
C) Jo King
D) Seymour Butts

ANSWER:

B) Master Bates

INFO

When Stan Laurel was 12 years old, attending King James I Grammer School, he was taught by Master Bates.

Master Bates recruited Stan, after school hours, to provide: “Jokes, imitations, what have you.” while the teachers drank.

All was going well until Stan decided to make fun of Master Bates. Bates did not like being mocked for his name and country origin (Germany) and Stan was never invited to perform again.

Laurel left the school 18 months later.

EXTRA INFO:

In other countries Laurel and his partner Hardy were known as: Dick and Doof in Germany, Helan and Halvan in Norway and Sweden, Gog and Cokke in Denmark, Stan es Pan in Poland, Flip i Fap in Romania, O Bucha and O Estica in Portugal, Crik and Crok in Italy, Xonapoe and Aznoe in Greece, El Tikhin and El Roufian in Egypt, Sisman ve Zaif in Turkey.

SOURCE:

Stan and Ollie: The roots of comedy. by: Simon Louvish, pg. 22

Last edited by brackett on Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total

JumpingJack
23911.  Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote

Good thoughts Dan.

And are you going to come and run the quiz yourself?

I do hope so.

Octavia
23934.  Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:56 am Reply with quote

How can you tantalise us with a quiz-night, without actually telling us when it is??

dr.bob
23942.  Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:24 am Reply with quote

brackett wrote:
In other countries Laurel and his partner Hardy were known as:

<snip>
Quote:
Crik and Crok in Italy

This doesn't sound right to me. If you go to www.google.it, type in "crik crok" and search through "pagine in Italiano" it doesn't return anything related to Laurel and Hardy.

If, however, you type in "laurel hardy", you get plenty of hits such as this one:

http://www.girodivite.it/antenati/cinema/_laurel_.htm

Which does make on wonder about all those other foreign versions.

Gray
23943.  Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:28 am Reply with quote

Cric e Croc is probably what you're after.

brackett
23948.  Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:46 am Reply with quote

Oh, possible typo on my part. I got the names out of the above mentioned biography by Simon Louvish. Will double check on that.

The QI quiz nights are on Thursday..no Friday (or is it Tuesday?)

I will get back to you on that. If you are in Oxford on any Wednesday evening do come along as it is fun. See you Monday! I think, unless its Saturday.

Definitely not Sunday.

dotcom
23968.  Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote

Ah, timekeeping.

simonp
24217.  Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:41 am Reply with quote

Q. What have the Romans done for us?

A. sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, fresh water system, and public health.
(i suggest points be deducted if anyone shouts out roads, because as we all know "the roads go without saying". )

a shameless rip off of the life of brian, i know

Jessica
24218.  Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:22 am Reply with quote

To be honest I had never heard of Cric e Croc - most Italians I know refer to them as Stanlio e Ollio

http://www.tamweb.it/theboys/theboys.asp

Bob the Fondler
24221.  Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:35 am Reply with quote

Q. If Orange is Orange, then why isn't yellow, banana?

A. I have know idea what the answer is; sorry

Lord_Wilson
24232.  Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote

brackett wrote:
QUESTION:

Who of the following actually taught Stan Laurel at school?

was it...

MULTIPLE CHOICE:

A) Mike Hunt
B) Master Bates
C) Jo King
D) Seymour Butts

ANSWER:

B) Master Bates

INFO

When Stan Laurel was 12 years old, attending King James I Grammer School, he was taught by Master Bates.

Master Bates recruited Stan, after school hours, to provide: “Jokes, imitations, what have you.” while the teachers drank.

All was going well until Stan decided to make fun of Master Bates. Bates did not like being mocked for his name and country origin (Germany) and Stan was never invited to perform again.

Laurel left the school 18 months later.

EXTRA INFO:

In other countries Laurel and his partner Hardy were known as: Dick and Doof in Germany, Helan and Halvan in Norway and Sweden, Gog and Cokke in Denmark, Stan es Pan in Poland, Flip i Fap in Romania, O Bucha and O Estica in Portugal, Crik and Crok in Italy, Xonapoe and Aznoe in Greece, El Tikhin and El Roufian in Egypt, Sisman ve Zaif in Turkey.

SOURCE:

Stan and Ollie: The roots of comedy. by: Simon Louvish, pg. 22

And he often used to play on the Canal Locks and used to love treacle toffee.

I'm from Ulverston, and he's about our only famous export.

Oh, and Greta Garbo's first acting job was a short film for the Co-Op.

eggshaped
24687.  Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote

Brackett, you´ve not had a great response here, methinks it could be quite a rubbish quiznight.

Here´s one for thee:

Q. What part of a man´s body increases in size by up to ten times when he is aroused?

A. The pupil.

Natalie
24698.  Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote

His finger?

Zaphod Beeblebrox
24699.  Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote

His left earlobe. Definately.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next