View previous topic | View next topic

Film sound effects

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

scubascooby
518251.  Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote

In the Film episode they mentioned the scream sound sample used in loads of films.

For me, the two that spring to mind are a splash and a horse whinny (sp?) they were used by the Beeb in loads of programmes for many years. Haven't heard them for a while but they do make me laugh every time I hear them.

andrewtaylor
518264.  Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote

I feel sure that the big squeaky metal door in Goldeneye on the N64 has been doing cameos in all kinds of other things ever since.

roundhead
518378.  Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:42 am Reply with quote

There's also the bullet ricochet sound effect that's in loads of British TV and film.

Why are the sound effect people called "foley artists"?

samivel
518397.  Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:37 am Reply with quote

They're named after an early practitioner, Jack Donovan Foley.

misterchris
518418.  Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0284148/

Ameena
518488.  Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote

There's a certain type of baby crying sound effect that I notice crops up a lot in various films and things. And I've also heard the door-opening-and-closing sounds from the "Doom" games in a few other places too.

djgordy
518490.  Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote

When I used to manage a record shop we used to sell sound effects records and they were very popular. I assume people used them on the films they were making although I suppose they could have just sat down in a darkened room and listened to them. The most popular series was the "Death and Horror" which had various screams. decapitations and the like.

Oolon Colluphid
518629.  Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote

The Wilhelm Scream is my ringtone. Makes me feel like I'm living in a film. Plus, if my phone goes off in the cinema, no-one will know!

Ion Zone
518790.  Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote

I've noticed sound efects I asosiate with games like Baulders Gate being reused in TV programs and films, though I can't remember which ones. They probably get bought and sold.

There are some stock sounds that have been reused and reused, and I'm not just talking about the animals on the Archers (Still has exactly the same theme it had when the Goon Show parodied it :} ). No I don't listen to it, my mum does. :P

Some sound effects have very interesting origins, the ice breaking on Titan AE was actual ice, the ankle-stabbing in that night of the dead film was a pencil in an apple, and there was a sound effect on Doctor Who made using the Londan sewer system, and the Tardis noice is a key down a piano string. Disney also has in storage dozens of machines they made to create the sounds on old films, such as a drum and belt device used to make their distinctive wind sounds. Though, now, it is mostly electronic, sound produces still go to some extreme lengths to produce exactly what they want.

andrewtaylor
518834.  Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Games seem to be a common source of sounds in this thread. I guess it's because when a game uses a stock sound you hear it about a hundred times in relatively quick succession.

Lordwarkworth
518892.  Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote

Ben Burrt is the master sound artist behind the Star Wars movies, and created the voice of Wall-E. Like the TARSIS effect, he bashed phone cables (correct me if I'm wrong) or similar creatures to achieve the Lightsabre sound. There is a story somewhere about a "scream" in film that is from a single source and is widely used, as stock, in both games and film and that it comes from some poor bairn in Hollywood.

Screen scribe Fran Walsh is reportedly the vocal behind the Wraith scream in The Lord of the Rings! *see movie appendix on the Fellowship of the Ring DVD.*

For my part I rubbed a microphone down a lamp post in Makem territory to illustrate the passage of the "magic bullet" in a JFK Soundscape I did at University of Sunderland and it worked pretty good. It's how the sound is engineered that really makes the effect believable.

Foley is a lot of fun. I wish I could get into it.

Last edited by Lordwarkworth on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 am; edited 3 times in total

Lordwarkworth
518893.  Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
Some sound effects have very interesting origins, the ice breaking on Titan AE

Oh poor lamb, you suffered that movie too? I bet, like me you witnessed the God awful entreaty that was the "Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within" hmn?

TheElephant
518960.  Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote

There was a series of games for the PC years ago which I think has had it's menu sound effects lifted for loads of programs.

(unless they were from somewhere else before that and the game nicked them)

It's the X-Com series, Enemy Unknown being the classic.

Any know of it and think the same? Or know whether they lifted the sounds from somewhere else?
(they do have a 50s sci-fi feel, but that fitted the game, so they could have been made for it in that style)

Starfish13
519006.  Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
Some sound effects have very interesting origins, the ice breaking on Titan AE was actual ice, the ankle-stabbing in that night of the dead film was a pencil in an apple, and there was a sound effect on Doctor Who made using the Londan sewer system, and the Tardis noice is a key down a piano string. Disney also has in storage dozens of machines they made to create the sounds on old films, such as a drum and belt device used to make their distinctive wind sounds. Though, now, it is mostly electronic, sound produces still go to some extreme lengths to produce exactly what they want.

The punching sound effect, I suppose representing the 'crunch' of a fist into a nose, is made by punching a cabbage. And the sound of a polar bear trudging through the snow is made by squeezing a rubber glove filled with custard powder.

roundhead
519039.  Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
Some sound effects have very interesting origins, the ice breaking on Titan AE was actual ice

Not much creative effort went in to that one then ;-)

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next