View previous topic | View next topic

Coming Up / Soon Diary

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

brackett
23818.  Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote

I like the idea of their being a coming soon thread, where we can post any new books, shows, dvds, rockets, socks, children, exibitions, wars and so on, that we know are to be released in the coming months, and have us / you excited. Dates don't need to be fixed - you can say January 2006, or 21st March 2006, 4:00pm in the room by the kitchen.

For example for QI there is:

QI SERIES 'C'- September 30th

QI: THE INTERACTIVE DVD November

and for others there are:

John Cleese, autobiography- sometime 2006

The Aristocrats- Movie, September 9th 2005, this looks really good.

Stephen Fry- The ode less travelled- New book of poetry, October 25th 2005, I think.

Last edited by brackett on Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:10 am; edited 2 times in total

laidbacklazyman
23819.  Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote

brackett wrote:

For example for QI there is:

QI SERIES 'C'- September 30th

[

September 30th eh, one thinks a finger needs pulling out then

Dr Lecter
23833.  Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Isn't 127.0.0.1 the IP address every windows computer has, because of something to do with windows... I know I heard something like that somewhere but meh.

brackett
23847.  Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:10 am Reply with quote

Mr. Grue discovered the following and pointed it out on another thread...

Book sale, every book £1 only! - 24th September, The Horse Hospital, Colonnade, London WC1N 1HX

Quote:
Authors, journalists, publishers, artists, illustrators, editors and, well, just good old readers have already pledged books for what promises to be the book event of the year. The Reading Frenzy will offer everything from brand new hardbacks and coffee table books to reference books and thrice-read novels at just £1.

The event is organised by London-based writer and journalist Iain Aitch and friends as a benefit for Chloe Eudaly, who runs Reading Frenzy in Portland, Oregon in the US. She has helped, encouraged and given space to countless artists, writers, comic artists, poets and activists and is one of the most giving people we know. As her store sells mostly independently-produced fanzines, magazines, books and art she is never going to make a fortune.

Chloe is a hardworking bookseller, arts promoter, arbiter of culture, and single mom to an adorable four-year-old who happens to have cerebral palsy. After years of 24-7 work she needs a rest and it is her dream to visit London, so we intend to make this happen. Any money above what it takes to get her to London will be used for the ongoing health care of Chloe’s son, Henry. During her visit she will be hosting a ‘show and tell’ style event about her work and Portland’s cultural output.

On 24th September we shall be holding The Reading Frenzy at The Horse Hospital from 12 midday to 5pm. We need you to come along and bring books and then buy books to take away. As we said everything is £1. This means brand new donations from publishers and writers, proof copies, cult titles, art books, novels and rarities.

Please bring your books in bags, if possible divided up into fiction and non-fiction. This is your entrance fee. If you don’t have books to bring you pay £1. You only need bring one book to get in free, but please bring as many as you can [omitting your 1993 Time Out restaurant guides and 1996 Writers’ and Artists’ Yearbooks please]. You will be able to come and go during the sale, so you can check back later on to see what else has come in, though we will be starting with some prime donations on sale. If you want to know the truth we have also been promised a very, very rare book, which will be auctioned at the start of the sale.

For more info go to: http://www.iainaitch.com/reading_frenzy.htm

Frederick The Monk
23849.  Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:43 am Reply with quote

7th November
Publication of Alfred the Great - The Man who Made England by Justin Pollard.
Hardcover 368 pages
Publisher: John Murray
ISBN: 0719566657

Probably the best book on Alfred the Great published this year.

With pictures....

...and a map!

brackett
23851.  Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:45 am Reply with quote

Shameless, Justin....just shameless

brackett
23852.  Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:49 am Reply with quote

Of course the book will be available in the QI bookshop.

Mort
23855.  Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:18 am Reply with quote

Dr Lecter wrote:
Isn't 127.0.0.1 the IP address every windows computer has, because of something to do with windows... I know I heard something like that somewhere but meh.

127.0.0.1 (or alternately 'localhost') refers to the machine you're currently using, which is useful for testing applications and making them treat your computer as if it were a remote computer. It's also great fun to give to script kiddies "Hey, I bet you can't hack this government uber-firewall! The IP is 127.0.0.1!" and have them DoS themselves.

I won't go into detail about network 'Classes', but 192.168.0.1 will also usually refer to yourself (or rather, your connection or network address), but not necessarily.

Mort
23856.  Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:22 am Reply with quote

Also, if it isn't September 30th, what date should I write down in my diary for the start of a new series of QI?

Mr Grue
23860.  Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:04 am Reply with quote

brackett wrote:
Mr. Grue discovered the following and pointed it out on another thread...

Thanks for reposting it in here, brackett. I don't know how I missed this thread!

brackett
23861.  Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote

It is september 30th, so far as I know. Unless it has been changed- which I doubt...So pop that date in your diary.

Thanks to you Mr. Grue, for letting me know about it. I am going to have a great day there.

Mr Grue
23862.  Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:40 am Reply with quote

Me too, brackett. I'm probably going to take along a load of remaining copies of God's Rude Wireless, as well.

Natalie
23865.  Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:13 am Reply with quote

I am informed by my younger counterpart, that a House DVD is out soon.

Worth getting I can assure you.

dotcom
23869.  Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote

Your younger counterpart? Pfft!
It's out already, Nat, you're behind the times. You can buy it off Amazon (even though out I try not to buy from there, due to the whole small bookshop thing, needs must), and that Stephen Fry book I haven't got, which is why I asked if I could borrow fifty quid. The way things are going, I'm going to have to sell myself on the mean streets of Norfolk.

Natalie
23871.  Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Good luck.

You could always try getting a job and earning money in other ways...

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next