View previous topic | View next topic

Web hosting in the UK

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

jtwyler
517110.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote

I feel I better explain: I love this audio but it has very low-figure views on youtube because there are a ton of German sites that carry it so it gets very few visitors on youtube and it's not known outside Germany; a sudden jump in stats would give a crude but possibly interesting insight into QI's impact, also if members then spread the link to their non-board friends, me assuming they find it worth spreading of course. And get this, it has jumped _significantly_ in the last 24 hours.

jtwyler
517115.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote

or simply hit on these guys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Charles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lloyd_(writer)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Branson

all perfectly respectable and highly likeable characters and apparently great fans of the show. My thinking is, if I was giving a one-time ten Euros, ok, make it only one single Euro, would they be willing to donate the same proportion of their monthly income? "Make that daily income and we're talking." Yep, they could donate anonymously. After all, they'd not only be contributing to a national treasure but also be furthering the cause of da Vinci's great-great-great whatever you Brits calls your offspring. Nothing opens purses quicker than the smell of close-by genius. (see http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=15054&highlight= for genealogical poof.)

Else we send Sarkozy over.

JUST KIDDING (except for the Sarko bit)!

suze
517135.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote

I think you may find that the second named of those three people has already invested a certain amount of time and money in this website ...

jtwyler
517242.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I think you may find that the second named of those three people has already invested a certain amount of time and money in this website ...

<ggg> go for seconds.

But yes, it's obvious that he did, nice chap that he must be, still, that leaves the other two. <duck>

MinervaMoon
517264.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote

I know you had the best intentions, jtwyler, but that really made me laugh. Perhaps this link will clarify things. I must be excused to clean myself up now.

jtwyler
517270.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote

MinervaMoon wrote:
I know you had the best intentions, jtwyler, but that really made me laugh. Perhaps this link will clarify things. I must be excused to clean myself up now.

<whispering> Thanks and in turn I let you in into my little secret: I know who he is. It's why I put him there. I thought it was funny. I just prayed that the intelligent people here would laugh. You laughed so you're proof it worked. My second little secret: I've noticed this week that many Brits have the same problem with continental humour as many Continentals have with Brits'. But keep this under your hat, I enjoy it it too much, this feeling of mirroring a Cleese in Bavaria <g>

barbados
517275.  Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote

You need to excuse people here jt. Unless a "joke" is placed firmly in the jokes thread on General Banter, then it's a serious point. And not to be giggled at ;)

MinervaMoon
517278.  Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote

Unless a "joke" is only a joke retroactively.
I'm not convinced.

barbados
517281.  Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote

You don't think that a fan of the show would know? Or even someone who didn't know much about the show would be able to read the Wiki page they have linked to?

I think it's a case of some not getting the joke because it was in the wrong place. Or maybe you think the poster is stupid and can't read?

jtwyler
517426.  Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote

MinervaMoon wrote:
Unless a "joke" is only a joke retroactively.
(color from white to black) I'm not convinced.(end of color switch)

Although it may be true for the reader, jokes don't only turn into jokes when the reader gets it.

And what's wrong with having traipsed into a little joke? Happens to me regularly. I love it. Kudos to anyone who can pull it off on me. And it's what the show does to Davies all the time, with Spanish colonization of Mexico then topping it off. (That was actually the coolest bit of trappery as Fry must have mentally seen it coming the split second he said it, although, fair's fair, Alan pulled the same stunt on Stephen when the Fry didn't see the Glasscock.) Seen the da Vinci thread? I hope you believed it even for a second! Come on, you did, didn't you? Or are you only skimming this site from time to time?

I personally don't see the harm in inserting a little chuckle in a simple discussion, even if it's about the site . It makes it more fun to read for those who might otherwise not even bother. Or has this thread become top serious?

Last, you may or may not believe this but Lloyd IS known.

---

Tx, Bajan, right on.

jtwyler
517525.  Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote

The fun audio first inserted into the Buzzers for the German episode, then in 517109, shows interesting numbers.

Since it's been put on youtube it averaged something like 180 hits a day, the bulk of which stemming from the time it was first published. Probably trickled down to a hit or two a week.

Since it's been inserted here it has gone up 500 views in less than 48 hours and still going, and it's not even in English.

Similar although not as significant raises for the other links in "Tgermön Basers". The difference might in part be due to the fun link being the best of the lot and therefore having been copy+pasted most from members into their personal off-forum correspondence where your multiplicator is as good as mine.

Just thought you (and of course our most venerable Patron Saint BigEars) might like to know.

---

And, Minerva, I owe you because it is you who finally made me figure out how to use the cool link you used* instead of the ugly full-url links I used until now. You're a credit to your nick, making things look better.

* Fell for it?

jtwyler
519623.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote

Unless a mod was PMed, so sorry about this thread, seems to go nowhere. A similar approach worked very well for us but we may have a different mentality on this side of the channel, classless working people solidarity and all that, the negative side of which, striking, being often and heavily mocked in those politically perfectly timed daily mailed newspapers of yours, whereas you somehow always seem to overlook the positives. But there you go. Gotta keep on scratchin' then.

Jenny
519924.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Well it was worth a try, jtwyler, so thanks for trying :-)

Posital
519970.  Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote

You need to know two things:
1) what's your budget
2) how many hits you expect

Unless you're going to do loads of marketing (ie have the budget) - your number of hits is going to start at zero (or none).

So, on a low budget, with not many hits... the easiest way to do this is to set one up at home - it's easy if you know how. Personally, I wouldn't choose phpbb - maybe simple machines or something (all this bandwidth contributes to any cap you might have with your ISP).

As your hits (and so bandwidth) increases - then you might consider moving to a hosted site.

Alternatively, if you're not too worried about being in a straightjacket - there are plenty of sites that host bbs or messageboards - some for free (freebb.org).

That helpful?

rojbanks
632449.  Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote

Look as like no one interested in this topic so that no one reply or express his view in this forum. this is harsh, but never mind, it happens, reading some of the post, i got an idea for wt should be it is about,, i well come the suggestions and comments, but pls. some one take a lead to this....

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next