View previous topic | View next topic

Forfar

Page 1 of 1

eggshaped
513998.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote

Station Park, Forfar, is the football ground furthest away from a railway station anywhere in the UK.

s: Jeff Stelling on Soccer Saturday

Moosh
513999.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote

Hmm. Google Maps reckons that Station Park is about 14 miles away from Carnoustie Railway Station. I'm sure that could be beaten. How are you defining "football ground"? Does it have to be where a professional team play?

I'm sure there's football pitches on the islands further than 14 miles from a station.

Last edited by Moosh on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:17 am; edited 2 times in total

eggshaped
514002.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote

Yes, I reckon we're talking league football teams as is usual in these style of factoids.

Moosh
514004.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote

Hmm, depending on how "league" you want, I might advance Ness United FC who play at three pitches on Shetland. All of which are further than 14 miles away from a train station. They play in the Shetland Football Association Premier league.

Also depends if it has to be mainland UK.

eggshaped
514007.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote

I think they would count as a non-league club Moosh

suze
514161.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote

It's at times like these that MS Autoroute comes into its own!

The nearest station from Forfar Athletic's ground as the crow flies is Monifieth (12.17 miles). The nearest station in terms of driving distance is Carnoustie (13.8 miles).

Now consider Peterhead (which plays a division higher than Forfar Athletic, so is certainly eligible). The nearest station as the crow flies is Dyce (25.98 miles). In terms of driving distance, it's still Dyce at 29.8 miles.

Starfish13
514578.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
Hmm, depending on how "league" you want, I might advance Ness United FC who play at three pitches on Shetland. All of which are further than 14 miles away from a train station. They play in the Shetland Football Association Premier league.

Also depends if it has to be mainland UK.

I'll trump your Ness United with Unst FC, the most northerly football team in the UK.

And I'll add that the reported story that the closest railway station to Lerwick is Bergen, Norway, is untrue. (Based on a story that a Shetlander attempted to join the army in WWII, and was asked for his nearest railway station for a travel warrent to be issued. He replied Bergen, which was at the time was occupied by the Nazis, and refused.)
The closest railway station would be Thurso 270km to the south, Bergen is 356km from Lerwick as the crow flies.

Starfish13
514598.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote

And for mainland football teams (again depending on 'league'), I'll suggest Gala Fairydean FC of Galashiels, who are 38 miles from Berwick upon Tweed. Although this won't be for much longer as plans are in place to replace the railway link with the town that was closed in the 60s.

suze
514651.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:38 pm Reply with quote

In terms of Scottish football, the term "league" usually means a club which plays in the SPL or the Scottish League. Almost all football clubs play in a league; the term "non league" doesn't imply that they don't.

But yes, the ground of Gala Fairydean FC turns out to be 37.5 miles in driving distance from Berwick upon Tweed station, or 32.29 miles as the crow flies. That isn't the nearest station to it though - as the crow flies, Wallyford station is 24.72 miles, while in driving distance it's 30.4 miles. So if Division One of the East of Scotland League is allowed to count as "league", then Gala Fairydean overtakes Peterhead on driving distance, but not on straight line distance.

It seems not to be the furthest East of Scotland league ground from a station though. Hawick Royal Albert FC plays in the same division as Gala Fairydean, and the nearest station as the crow flies is Lockerbie (31.10 miles). In driving distance, it's Gretna Green (37.7 miles).

Moving into the Highland League, we now consider Fraserburgh. That club's ground is 31.14 miles in a straight line from Inverurie station, although in driving distance it's a mere 34.5 miles. (Incidentally, there will be three new clubs in the Highland League next season - Formartine United from Pitmedden, Strathspey Thistle from Grantown on Spey, and Turriff United.)

Page 1 of 1