View previous topic | View next topic

Baffled: the magical topic disappearing act

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dr.bob
515167.  Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote

jtwyler wrote:
From memory, when I checked the forum, it had Neo's reply and eight something views. I then checked Neo's link, came back to reply to him and the thread was gone.

Blimey, I take the weekend off, and see what happens in my absence.

OK, time to hold my hand up and make a terrible admission. It was I who deleted the thread. Let me explain my reasoning.

With the current hosting regimen of the site size is, as explained, an issue*. With that in mind, I regularly cull old, pointless threads, particularly in the General Banter forum. I also crop excessively long, wittering threads, such as The Venting Thread and suchlike.

When I saw your Ryanair thread, it consisted of precisely three posts. Your original post, Neo's reply pointing you to the other thread, and your reply saying that you would take your point over there. This, I assumed, would be an end to the entire thread. I was aware that such a short thread could easily disappear down the list of threads and never get picked up on again due to its small size. Thus I decided to delete it there and then while it was fresh in my mind.

Clearly I acted hastily, and I apologise unreservedly. My actions were not an attempt to censor any views or control the output of the forums, except insomuch as necessary space saving as already explained. My only defence can be that it was a Friday afternoon and my brain clearly wasn't functioning properly.

Once again, many apologies. I shall now go and birch myself for the rest of the afternoon.

*Yes, it's quite possible to spend more money to get better hosting, however I do not hold the purse strings. You'd also have to factor in the cost of the IT elf in moving everything to the new hosting, and my time does not come cheap.

Neotenic
515168.  Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Once again, many apologies. I shall now go and birch myself for the rest of the afternoon.

And so how is this any different to your usual Monday afternoons?

;-)

dr.bob
515173.  Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote

You swore you wouldn't tell anyone about that!

Jenny
515247.  Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote

<breathes sigh of relief - mystery* solved>

* mystery of how dr.bob spends his Monday afternoons, that is.

jtwyler
515464.  Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
OK, time to hold my hand up... It was I who deleted the thread.

I only wanted to know, thought I had breached forum etiquette or something.

<When I saw your Ryanair thread, it consisted of precisely three posts.>

You must have seen it in its very infancy, already had a good starting number of views though. Outdated now anyway, no?

<Clearly I acted hastily, and I apologise unreservedly.>

No sweat. All makes sense, especially if your mind was already on birching. (So it's true what they say about you Brits? Or is that us having one of those ennemy-sex views like your absolutely nonsensical French Letter thing?)

<Yes, it's quite possible to spend more money to get better hosting>

Would twenty €/mo more threaten survival? I would for example weigh the one-time cost of migrating against the monthly running cost and pain in the neck of an unfriendly host.

<You'd also have to factor in the cost of the IT elf in moving everything to the new hosting, and my time does not come cheap.>

I'm no expert but would mirroring the whole thing, either straight to a new host or physically moving the mirror, not work? If it's a matter of cost I for one would chip in if that helped. Shame that the show producers themselves can't help financially, seen as they are so poor themselves.

Above all, good to learn it wasn't me who done it. <ggg>

dr.bob
515640.  Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:41 am Reply with quote

jtwyler wrote:
Would twenty /mo more threaten survival?

Probably not, but I'm not sure you can get adequate hosting for that kind of price.

Do speak up if you know of somewhere that does website hosting plus a minimum of seven databases with a size limit greater than 200Mb each and shell access with full access to, for example, run perl scripts and add them into crontab to run automatically. Oh, and some web stats package to report on usage might be nice too.

If anyone knows of someone who provides that kind of hosting for 20/month then I'd be very interested to know about it.

jtwyler
515712.  Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
jtwyler wrote:
Would twenty €/mo more threaten survival?

Probably not, but I'm not sure you can get adequate hosting for that kind of price.

Do speak up if you know of somewhere that does website hosting plus a minimum of seven databases with a size limit greater than 200Mb each and shell access with full access to, for example, run perl scripts and add them into crontab to run automatically. Oh, and some web stats package to report on usage might be nice too.

If anyone knows of someone who provides that kind of hosting for €20/month then I'd be very interested to know about it.

Sorry, I thought I had included that kind of info in a previous post. But I'd have thought that setting up one's own server these days wasn't too complicated or expensive anymore.

In our case, and since we don't need nor want nor are savvy enough to mess with hard- and software setup and maintenance, our solution is USAmerican networksolutions; being on WET doesn't matter, they have 24/7 service. See their offers under "web site & hosting"

an overview: http://www.networksolutions.com/choose-a-solution/index.jsp

I can't check with the guy here because it's lunch time but I believe that we use their Pro Web hosting package at 30 USD/mo = +/- 24 € = +/- 23 GPD (unlimited disk space, unltd transfer/mo, unlimited everything) but we have a very quiet site with very limited needs really so I don't know if this helps you.

Isn't there similar around the UK? Or why not start a thread asking for support and ideas amongst the forum members?

dr.bob
515828.  Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote

Apart from the fact that I wouldn't touch Network Solutions with a bargepole for personal reasons, there's absolutely no mention of database provision in any of their offerings that I could see, not to mention a lack of shell access.

One option would be to take on a virtual server and manage that myself, but that would open up the QI organisation to a rather sticky situation if I decided I'd had enough and flounced off leaving them to cope for themselves given that IT experts are thin on the ground within QI.

Alfred E Neuman
515867.  Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote

jtwyler wrote:
Sorry, I thought I had included that kind of info in a previous post.

Perhaps it was deleted?

jtwyler
515989.  Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Apart from the fact that I wouldn't touch Network Solutions with a bargepole for personal reasons

We went there because it had been recommended. But I'd be interested to know more, PM me if it's slanderous. Surely there must be similar services in the UK.

<there's absolutely no mention of database provision in any of their offerings that I could see, not to mention a lack of shell access.>

They provide us with MySQL5 if that is what you want to know. I think they also have something from Microsoft but I wouldn't touch MSN with a ... for personal ...

<One option would be to take on a virtual server and manage that myself, but that would open up the QI organisation to a rather sticky situation if I decided I'd had enough>

NWS have virtual servers. But: would you leave this gorgeous forum? And if yes, would it be on five minutes notice? They'd have time to find someone.

<and flounced off leaving them to cope for themselves given that IT experts are thin on the ground within QI.>

Maybe this forum has deep human ressources. As said, try a thread where "QI forum needs second IT wiz - please apply else the server will be managed by Alan Davies - one free show ticket per season included".

---

If nobody minds my quotes will now come in <those thingies here>. Easier to quote and it saves server space bit by bit.

===

Alf = <ggg>

barbados
516159.  Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:

Do speak up if you know of somewhere that does (1) website hosting plus a minimum of (2)seven databases with a size limit greater than 200Mb each and (3)shell access with full access to, for example, run perl scripts and add them into crontab to run automatically. Oh, and some web stats package to report on usage might be nice too.

From my experience
(1) 100% hosting services delivery this, so it shouldn't be too hard to find
(2) Ooo that narrows it down a bit, to around 99% of the pro host services
(3) Ahh, here we have a problem - this is taking you into bespoke services, which aint meeting the budget

Arcane
516227.  Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
but that would open up the QI organisation to a rather sticky situation if I decided I'd had enough and flounced off

Don't. You. Dare. There's been quite enough flouncery of late, I should think that you're above such a thing. ;-D

dr.bob
516379.  Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote

jtwyler wrote:
We went there because it had been recommended. But I'd be interested to know more, PM me if it's slanderous.

Not slanderous, just the general problem with any large organisation with a huge customer base. If you want to do something they're set up to do regularly, everything's fine. If you want to do something even slightly out of the norm, you're in for a world of helpdesk pain.

jtwyler wrote:
They provide us with MySQL5 if that is what you want to know.

Ah, so they do. I hadn't noticed that before. Interesting.

reddygirl wrote:
I should think that you're above such a thing. ;-D

Oh, you have no idea ;-)

jtwyler
516508.  Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
NWS: If you want to do something even slightly out of the norm, you're in for a world of helpdesk pain.

Get one of their full-access private servers? Or for USD 12.46/mo a do-it-yourself site but it might be too small for this forum? Or unlimited space, unlimited FTP and data transfer, unlimited mailboxes, stats, Unix or MSN, databases and whatnot for USD 29.13?

I agree about the large corp depersonalized service. If I had a complex site I'd wish to have it in my own time zone. But there must be similar offers in the UK.

Let's run a test, see next topic.

barbados
517075.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:

One option would be to take on a virtual server and manage that myself, but that would open up the QI organisation to a rather sticky situation if I decided I'd had enough and flounced off leaving them to cope for themselves given that IT experts are thin on the ground within QI.

That is actually a pretty good idea, you have full control of the site in that instance.

I'm not to sure I would approve with the single point of failure the QI organisation is open to at the moment. It's not what could be deemed as best practice ;)

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next