View previous topic | View next topic

Baffled: the magical topic disappearing act

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

suze
514524.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote

jtwyler, I'm another of the moderators around here, and the notion that you might have inadvertently not actually made the post was mine - I know I've done it.

But since it's now clear that that isn't what happened, I think some kind of technical failure is the most likely explanation. That's not my area of expertise, but I'll alert our IT Elf - we allow him weekends off, so I won't be able to do that today.

It's really pretty rare for the moderators here to delete posts unless they are commercial spam. A few times we've had to do so for libel reasons, and once or twice we've deleted flame wars, but that's about it. Note that, for instance, we don't delete postings that contain curse words - we don't encourage them to be used gratuitously, but we accept that on occasion they are appropriate or even necessary.

The server issue is one on which we're a little paranoid around here. Last summer, the hosting company closed the forums down for a period of 17 hours and threatened quite seriously to do so permanently, because we'd gone over the space allocated by 192 MB.

I absolutely hear the suggestion that perhaps we should thus be thinking of changing the hosting company. I know nothing about the finances involved, but finance and logistics were at the time the reasons given for not doing.

Alfred E Neuman
514537.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote

jtwyler wrote:
From memory, when I checked the forum, it had Neo's reply and eight something views. I then checked Neo's link, came back to reply to him and the thread was gone.

From memory too - I remember reading the thread, but as I recall you had replied to Neo's post.

jtwyler
514813.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Suze,

tx for your message.

(BTW I love that drink. Family? <s>)

suze wrote:
server issue: the hosting company closed the forums down for a period of 17 hours ... because we'd gone over the space allocated by 192 MB.

192 MB sounds miserly but it would also cost no more than €10/mo. Spend a little more and you get unlimited web hosting around €30/mo or a serious virtual private server around €80/mo. Surely not too much?

Quote:
changing the hosting company.

Start a thread:

ATTENTION AND URGENT - QI FORUM NEEDS NEW HOST AND HOSTING ADVICE

needed: serious server with root access or great hosting package - must allow seamless migration of present forum.

post or PM "Suze" with advice and/or offers asap

With 11000+ members and god knows how many visitors plus the image you could bring a host, probability says that there might be one or two people here who might just have the lead you need.

jtwyler
514814.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
as I recall you had replied to Neo's post.

Now that you mention it... <sigh>... this thread drives me mad!

bobwilson
514815.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
The server issue is one on which we're a little paranoid around here.

don't you mean "neurotic"?

suze
514828.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote

jtwyler wrote:
needed: serious server with root access or great hosting package - must allow seamless migration of present forum.

I'll leave that one to the IT Elf, since there may well be other issues present that I don't know about. But in any case, we can only apologise if - as now seems probable - the server has somehow eaten your post.

bobwilson wrote:
don't you mean "neurotic"?

Both, I think!

roundhead
514924.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote

jtwyler wrote:
Alfred E Neuman wrote:
as I recall you had replied to Neo's post.

Now that you mention it... <sigh>... this thread drives me mad!

You started it.

jtwyler
514984.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote

shame on me

Jenny
514988.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:01 pm Reply with quote

Dammit I thought we'd solved the problem!

I agree with suze - we'll have to consult the IT elf and see if he can throw any light on it. It's a mystery to me otherwise.

jtwyler
515144.  Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Dammit I thought we'd solved the problem!

I've just noticed something that makes me shudder for its ergonomically frightening location: next to the "Edit" button there is a little cross to which I've paid no attention so far... and that I can't remember ever having touched...

Would my first guess be that this X only shows up when that message's author reads it?

Now, I haven't dared touch it (to my conscious knowledge) but what happens if, being used to clicking Xs in the upper right hand corner of most all windows to close them, I hit that button from habit to close the window? Am I asked something or does it instantly do what I think it does? Does it delete the thread or only the message itself? Is there no real-time back-up that could restore whatever this bleedin button does? Isn't the location of this cross an incitation to hair pulling and nightmaring?

Not that I would ever hit the damn thing myself. <aaarrrrgggghhh>

Neotenic
515150.  Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote

the 'x' only appears to the poster of the, um, post - and then only when it is the last post in a thread.

Very handy for when you rattle off a hot-headed response, only to realise within 10 seconds of hitting 'submit' that entirely the wrong end of the stick (or even a different stick completely) has been grasped.

Posital
515152.  Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote

:-|

Can I pay my magic circle fees here - or is that next door? It says on this letter "first left at the end of the corridor on the third floor"... sorry.

Oh, have I caught you at a bad moment?

jtwyler
515156.  Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
the 'x' only appears to the poster of the, um, post - and then only when it is the last post in a thread.

So it can't have been me deleting my own post since there were replies to it and it was therefore not the last post in the thread. Phew, you saved my day. <pushing-hair-back-into-scalp>

Back to the problem-solver board, my dear little IT elves!

dr.bob
515167.  Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote

jtwyler wrote:
From memory, when I checked the forum, it had Neo's reply and eight something views. I then checked Neo's link, came back to reply to him and the thread was gone.

Blimey, I take the weekend off, and see what happens in my absence.

OK, time to hold my hand up and make a terrible admission. It was I who deleted the thread. Let me explain my reasoning.

With the current hosting regimen of the site size is, as explained, an issue*. With that in mind, I regularly cull old, pointless threads, particularly in the General Banter forum. I also crop excessively long, wittering threads, such as The Venting Thread and suchlike.

When I saw your Ryanair thread, it consisted of precisely three posts. Your original post, Neo's reply pointing you to the other thread, and your reply saying that you would take your point over there. This, I assumed, would be an end to the entire thread. I was aware that such a short thread could easily disappear down the list of threads and never get picked up on again due to its small size. Thus I decided to delete it there and then while it was fresh in my mind.

Clearly I acted hastily, and I apologise unreservedly. My actions were not an attempt to censor any views or control the output of the forums, except insomuch as necessary space saving as already explained. My only defence can be that it was a Friday afternoon and my brain clearly wasn't functioning properly.

Once again, many apologies. I shall now go and birch myself for the rest of the afternoon.

*Yes, it's quite possible to spend more money to get better hosting, however I do not hold the purse strings. You'd also have to factor in the cost of the IT elf in moving everything to the new hosting, and my time does not come cheap.

Neotenic
515168.  Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Once again, many apologies. I shall now go and birch myself for the rest of the afternoon.

And so how is this any different to your usual Monday afternoons?

;-)

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next