View previous topic | View next topic

Baffled: the magical topic disappearing act

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dr. Know
513937.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote

 
bobwilson
513941.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote

whoa - this is all getting a bit bobwilson. jt - I'm sure one of the mods will get back to you shortly. this is a free forum remember so no matter how cheap space may appear to be you're not paying for it. In an ideal world they'd just go out and buy another disk on a regular basis but somebody, somewhere has to stump up the cash.

It's probably only an accidental deletion anyway. If it's something you want to air, just repost it.

 
jtwyler
513943.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote

dr. know,

your academic credentials, your subtlety, intelligence and understanding of democracy...

I'm afraid I'm not appropriately civilized for further exchanges with whatever "dr. know" stands for.

 
jtwyler
513945.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
whoa - this is all getting a bit bobwilson. jt - I'm sure one of the mods will get back to you shortly. this is a free forum remember so no matter how cheap space may appear to be you're not paying for it. In an ideal world they'd just go out and buy another disk on a regular basis but somebody, somewhere has to stump up the cash.

It's probably only an accidental deletion anyway. If it's something you want to air, just repost it.


Thank you. Agree. If a Mod had quickly replied "will get back 2 u later", that would have been fine. If you had posted your feedback immediately I would have accepted your explanation.

---

Of more than private interest to me: What do I look at statistically instead? For two positive quality replies I got...

---

About the price of forum space: the cost of this forum is many times returned to the show, the BBC and not least the moderator's and the producers' perfectly deserved marketability. Equally excellent return of investment ratio in terms of merchandising. Sell ten DVDs, get one server free (1tb hdd = approx 90 here and falling; and as I said the whole of all messages ever posted here is FAR from a tb). Not to mention petitioning for the immensely attractive US market. Compared to that, even hundreds of terrabytes would still be cheap. So enough of that.

 
exnihilo
513965.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote

I think you may have misunderstood the relationship between the show, the BBC, and this forum. Also, the moderators are not in the habit of simply not responding, I don't think it's reasonable to demand that they do so within some arbitrary time limit.

 
Jenny
513968.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote

Dr.know - that was quite uncalled-for.

jtwyler - I'm not sure what happened as it wasn't me that deleted the thread. The moderators here are not full-time paid employees, and it could be that whoever you sent a message to either hasn't read it yet or is still in the process of finding out about it. It wasn't me to whom you sent a message, and the first I knew about it was seeing this thread (I am also in the US so well behind you time-wise).

I'm sorry you're upset. I'll try and find out what happened.

 
jtwyler
514134.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote

exnihilo wrote:
I think you may have misunderstood the relationship between the show, the BBC, and this forum. Also, the moderators are not in the habit of simply not responding, I don't think it's reasonable to demand that they do so within some arbitrary time limit.


Fully agree. I hope you and Jenny noted that my initial post was simple curiosity paired with a wish to understand this forum's etiquette. Two honorable members explained the situation to me and that was that. One member exposed himself which I find funny from a distance and that was ok also. And Jenny, I was not upset at any moment. That impression would result from how one or two members reacted, as if it was a personal insult to ask politely and neutrally why a topid disappeared. Thank you for your concern, most appreciated.

About the time frame: when I was modding a bit last century, when I had to delete a thread, I'd usually send a one-line explanation at the same time, using a dozen macros. Like: "sorry, had to move your thread to the trash talk section where it will be automatically deleted within a week". Discussion could continue there until final deletion. I've seen similar modern versions of this recently. This gave the author the time to save his message while allowing him to let off steam if he wanted. One liner posts are quick and easy but I believe that someone who has spent let's say ten minutes on a more thought-out post should be given that possibility. Deleting takes far less time. Bit of a discrepancy there. Quite often also I'd say that "I've moved your message to a similar thread and will delete this one for practical purposes". You see what I mean.

I know nothing about the relationship between this forum and the show. I hope that it can finance itself through whatever honest means. I'd assume the show producers give it certain advantages that are helping it to cope. What I cannot imagine is that lack of storage space would be the reason for deleting a few 5 kb topics.

Overall I found this a rather positive thread and got answers to my question. Thank you all.

 
mikemcleod
514137.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote

I know I'm new round these parts, but I think Dr. Know's response of "find another forum" marks him as a complete, what's the word, ermmm, tosser... yes that's it!.

So much for intelligent discussion... and if you want to step outside then pick your window..

...oh, and jtwyler was the only one to get the v w l thing, so kudos to you!

 
bobwilson
514139.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd usually send a one-line explanation at the same time, using a dozen macros. Like: "sorry, had to move your thread to the trash talk section where it will be automatically deleted within a week". Discussion could continue there until final deletion. I've seen similar modern versions of this recently. This gave the author the time to save his message while allowing him to let off steam if he wanted.


Not sure how familiar you are with THESE forums tj but in general the only threads and/or posts that get deleted are:

a) spam carrying advertising which have been posted by bots
b) threads that have lost their relevance during the (occasional) clean ups (and the deleted threads are often nominated for deletion by their original posters)

I'm pretty sure that your thread was deleted by accident as it seems to be entirely out of character for the site for any other explanation.

Personally, I prefer the way this site works to the "sectioning threads off in a holding pen prior to deletion" system used elsewhere.

And I can authoritatively state that it would take an awful lot to irritate the unflappable mods on here to the extent that you'd have your thread and/or posts deleted.

 
jtwyler
514160.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Not sure how familiar you are with THESE forums


Exactly why I asked the questions, to become familiar with, get in the swing of this forum. Learning everyday, asked questions yesterday, done vowels today, spelling comes next.

 
Jenny
514165.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Hi jtwyler. I think we may have a solution to what happened, since none of the mods recalls deleting your thread, and it isn't something that happens that often.

We think the most likely explanation is that you didn't actually post it when you thought you did. It's very easy to do, because many of those of us who have been around a while have done it ourselves (pressed Preview rather than Submit, and then navigated to somewhere else). I don't think anybody on this thread mentions having seen the post that you think disappeared, and surely someone would have said so if he or she had.

However, this has caused us to review our procedures to ensure that private messages to moderators are responded to more quickly in future, so thanks for raising the issue.

 
Neotenic
514318.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote

In fairness, I posted a response to said thread - which was a linky to the post I'd just written on the same subject, so it definitely was there at some point.

 
bobwilson
514327.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
In fairness, I posted a response to said thread - which was a linky to the post I'd just written on the same subject, so it definitely was there at some point.



The plot thickens

 
jtwyler
514445.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
In fairness, I posted a response to said thread - which was a linky to the post I'd just written on the same subject, so it definitely was there at some point.


Yep, because that is how I learned that the issue had already been somewhat discussed in the other Ryan Air thread. Still I felt that its serious implications as well as its comic potential deserved a thread of its own.

I highly appreciate your backup.

 
jtwyler
514458.  Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
We think the most likely explanation is that you didn't actually post it when you thought you did.


I always check to see if my posts appear because

Quote:
because many of those of us who have been around a while have done it ourselves (pressed Preview rather than Submit, and then navigated to somewhere else).


Has also happended to my a few times in the past: WHAT? WHERE HAS THAT HALF HOUR OF MY FINEST ESPRIT GONE?

And shrink into a very red-faced idiot two seconds later, : gawd, what an %$@#! I am

Quote:
I don't think anybody on this thread mentions having seen the post that you think disappeared, and surely someone would have said so if he or she had.


From memory, when I checked the forum, it had Neo's reply and eight something views. I then checked Neo's link, came back to reply to him and the thread was gone.

Quote:
However, this has caused us to review our procedures to ensure that private messages to moderators are responded to more quickly in future, so thanks for raising the issue.


You're welcome.

(But who would have thought that something good for this forum would come out of Ryan Air's s anitation.)

 

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group