View previous topic | View next topic

Baffled: the magical topic disappearing act

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jtwyler
513887.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote

I posted a topic and it's gone. Obviously been deleted. I don't find a reason, neither in the rules nor in my mind, conscience or the vocabulary used. To help me avoid possible mishap in the future, would someone be so kind and enlighten me? Here's what:

When I came here yesterday, there was a topic abouc Ryan Air virtual check-in but nothing about Ryan Air sanitation. Check-in is not a topic on the continent but the rent-a-Moab made the headlines in all our media.

Therefore:

a) I didn't check the check-in topic for that subject because check-in counters and toilet seats are in essence so very different that there can not be a redundancy;

b) I thought it fitted here perfectly because it seemed to have the two main qualities generally required of QI topics, that it was seriously interesting and perfectly funny.

English not being my main language but the matter somewhat delicate, I made quite sure to avoid misunderstandings from cultural differences AND only use words that I'd already heard live on the show.

When I returned to the forum, the topic had disappeared. I checked my PMs, I checked my e-mail, I searched the forums, the topic was gone. I PMed the moderator. No reply. I mailed the forum, the message was returned as undeliverable.

Anyone have an explanation?

 
Moosh
513893.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:58 am Reply with quote

I assume it was deleted because there was already discussion about it in the other thread before you posted yours. So there was redundancy, even though there wasn't already a thread specifically about paying for the toilets.

 
jtwyler
513906.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
I assume it was deleted because there was already discussion about it in the other thread before you posted yours. So there was redundancy, even though there wasn't already a thread specifically about paying for the toilets.


It was, barely, mentioned in the other thread as I learned later but it wasn't discussed there. Such a perfect subject and it should die as a footnote... come ON!

Or should I understand that once something has been mentioned somewhere else however lightly, it becomes a taboo instantly? IOW if I had started the topic on Ryan Air's washpot and had brushed check-in in the process, no one would have been allowed to start the check-in topic???

If someone posts a topic on a car's engine performance and mentions in passing that the car also has lousy seats, can no one then discuss the seats because it's already been mentioned? I'd be bankrupt if I was that undiscriminating. Apply that approach consequently and the BBC must forbid spin-offs. No more Michelle in Grown-ups because she'd already been in pints and pants before?

Redundancy can't be the reason here. At least not from a reasonable point of view.

Sorry then, pondered it, can't see how it applies, but I do appreciate your feedback.

 
Dr. Know
513910.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote

There is a forum tidy on the first on every month to save space.

 
jtwyler
513917.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote

And the criteria would be?

 
Dr. Know
513919.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote

Not my department. Ask one of the mods.

 
jtwyler
513920.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote

dr. know wrote:
There is a forum tidy


And the criteria would be?

Quote:
on the first on every month


Oh, so sorry, here it was only 27 of February. Running late again on the continent I guess.

Quote:
to save space.


Save space, destroy a satellite.

Seriously, that would be the wrong approach. Space in the age of humunguous server size is not an issue. But if cleaning, then it should be a permanent process. Time pressure is the simplest road to error.

 
Moosh
513921.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote

jtwyler wrote:
Moosh wrote:
I assume it was deleted because there was already discussion about it in the other thread before you posted yours. So there was redundancy, even though there wasn't already a thread specifically about paying for the toilets.


It was, barely, mentioned in the other thread as I learned later but it wasn't discussed there. Such a perfect subject and it should die as a footnote... come ON!

Or should I understand that once something has been mentioned somewhere else however lightly, it becomes a taboo instantly? IOW if I had started the topic on Ryan Air's washpot and had brushed check-in in the process, no one would have been allowed to start the check-in topic???

If someone posts a topic on a car's engine performance and mentions in passing that the car also has lousy seats, can no one then discuss the seats because it's already been mentioned? I'd be bankrupt if I was that undiscriminating. Apply that approach consequently and the BBC must forbid spin-offs. No more Michelle in Grown-ups because she'd already been in pints and pants before?

Redundancy can't be the reason here. At least not from a reasonable point of view.

Sorry then, pondered it, can't see how it applies, but I do appreciate your feedback.


I've just had a look and there are 11 posts in the check-in thread related to the toilet issue. That's hardly "barely mentioned".

 
Dr. Know
513922.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote

jtwyler wrote:
Space in the age of humunguous server size is not an issue.


You want to pay for it?

 
jtwyler
513926.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote

dr. know wrote:
Not my department. Ask one of the mods.


If you read my topic starter, I did. Got no reply. Mailed the forum. Still no reply. Maybe allright where you live but considered bad manners here. Must be cultural.

 
jtwyler
513930.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote

dr. know wrote:
jtwyler wrote:
Space in the age of humunguous server size is not an issue.


You want to pay for it?


Compare the price of one terrabyte to the space taken by ALL of the posts ever posted here. Price is not an issue _at all_.

 
Dr. Know
513932.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote

jtwyler wrote:
dr. know wrote:
Not my department. Ask one of the mods.


If you read my topic starter, I did. Got no reply. Mailed the forum. Still no reply. Maybe allright where you live but considered bad manners here. Must be cultural.


Or maybe the mods have personal lives to attend to and will get back to you when they can.

 
jtwyler
513934.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote

dr. know wrote:
Or maybe the mods have personal lives to attend to and will get back to you when they can.


What kind of an attitude is that?

When I do something as personal as deleting someone's post then I am also available to comment on it within 24 hours, if only with a one-line PM. The person who deleted it did so within half an hour after posting so it had the time for that but none for the decent thing?

Deleting/destroying something where someone made an effort and then not having the time to mail five words is not my idea of civil behaviour.

---

Added: I was moderating a forum years ago (compuserve, which was a great community then); aware how much of their own virtual flesh and blood members invested in their posts, I ALWAYS sent a small message along to explain.


Last edited by jtwyler on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total

 
Dr. Know
513935.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote

Go find another forum then.

 
jtwyler
513936.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote

dr. know wrote:
Go find another forum then.


Excuse me?

 

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group