View previous topic | View next topic

QI Rolling News

Page 3 of 28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Gray
25851.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:29 am Reply with quote

That is sad, although I can't help thinking it's a bit of a relief - they won't be able to wheel him out anymore to perform. He retired when *he* wanted to retire, and I always felt bad for him that he was talked into coming back again and again when it was clearly beyond him.

JumpingJack
25864.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote

I was just called up by Jim White of the Daily Telegraph for a quote about 'The Guv'nor' (as David Jason always called him). It'll be in tomorrow's paper.

Have to say, I don't have a bad word to say about the guy - The Frost Report, The Two Ronnies, Porridge three of the all time greats.

And a very nice man, to boot.

My very first TV commission was for The Two Ronnies, though, despite several years of trying, I only ever managed to get two one liners on the show. The competition was horrendously tough...which is why it was so good of course.

Jenny
25872.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:58 am Reply with quote

Sad to hear. I know that de mortuis nil nisi bonum, but the tributes do appear to be genuine and heartfelt, and he always came over as a nice man. I agree with Gray - I had a lot of respect for him for retiring so determinedly when he felt it was right to do so.

laidbacklazyman
25876.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote

I'm of a generation that grew up on Ronnie Barker. The man was a genius but as Gray said he retired when he wanted, at the top of his game, thankfully there will only be good memories. Hopefully the BBC will invest their repeat budget wisely in Porridge and Open All Hours.

MatC
25958.  Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:57 am Reply with quote

And I hope BBC7 will make sure that "The Navy Lark" is given a good long repeat run soon; that was the programme which first made Barker famous.

But "Porridge" is without doubt one of the major works of art of the second half of the 20th century; I firmly believe that 50 years from now everyone connected with it will be much more famous than they are today. At its best (the two of them chatting philosophically on their bunks after lights-out) it was astonishing: the writing, the acting, the editing and directing - even the *lighting* was amazingly creative!

Jessica
25971.  Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:01 am Reply with quote

one great monologue - Pismonunciation:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-1810362,00.html

Jenny
25972.  Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:06 am Reply with quote

I'd completely forgotten Ronnie Barker was involved with The Navy Lark. I used to love listening to that on a Sunday lunchtime when I was a kid. That, and Round the Horne and Gardener's Question Time immediately take me back to the roast beef and Yorkshire pudding of my childhood.

JumpingJack
27323.  Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote

Me too!

Jenny
27325.  Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote

I bought a CD of a couple of episodes of Round the Horne last time I was in England, and drove around playing it in the car and laughing like a loon.

Commander
27328.  Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote

We're off to see a stage production of 'Round the Horn' at Richmond Theatre in November, based on the original scripts.

Anna
27373.  Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:43 am Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
And I hope BBC7 will make sure that "The Navy Lark" is given a good long repeat run soon; that was the programme which first made Barker famous.

It's been on for quite a while - Thursdays at 2:30pm

Jenny
27388.  Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote

Commander - that should be fabulous. I remember so many of those old routines - especially the ones by Kenneth Williams. 'I think the answer lies in the soil,' and 'Hello, I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy,' and Rambling Sid Rumpole the folksinger.

Anna - thanks for that info, I can maybe listen to that on the web.

Anna
27395.  Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:57 am Reply with quote

I listen every week - Navy Lark, Round the Horne, Beyond Our Ken...

And of course I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again - so funny. =D

Mostly Harmless
27560.  Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote

Last edited by Mostly Harmless on Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Caradoc
27620.  Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote

Private eye have a nice little cartoon, you will have to keep pressing refresh till it apears

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/content/cartoons.cfm/issue.1143

Page 3 of 28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next