View previous topic | View next topic

QI Rolling News

Page 2 of 28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Flash
23309.  Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:24 pm Reply with quote

It is well established that if you get find some old newspaper which has been used to line drawers or wrap crockery then it'll have much more interesting stuff in it than today's paper does.

This is presumably why Jack has been reading an 11-year-old Sunday paper.

Jenny
23312.  Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote

The solution to dull news then becomes obvious - don't put information in print about anything until at least ten years after it happens.

Flash
23314.  Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure it's the age that makes it more interesting, so much as the fact that the alternative to reading it is unwrapping more crockery.

Okapi
23319.  Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:

That's why I spend most of my time reading the OED and Lewis and Short. They never let me down.

I've a feeling this is more appropriate to the Pointless Exercises thread but...

Lewis and Short - Latin

Liddell and Scott - Ancient Greek

I *think* this may have simultaneously floated and sunk the Coincidence of Initial Letters of Surnames of Editors of Classical Reference Works thread...

Although, at a push, Leslie Stephen's assistant editor on the DNB was one Sidney Lee.

http://tinyurl.com/cuocc

Caradoc
23345.  Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
And another one from the same source:

Quote:
More than four times as many Americans this century [the 20th] have died in road accidents than have been killed in battle.

s: IoS 11.12.94

Of the soldiers who died in Ulster/Northern Ireland during the "troubles" most died in vehicle accidents.

JumpingJack
23534.  Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:23 pm Reply with quote

Very good Carl.

laidbacklazyman
23539.  Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:00 am Reply with quote

Here's a little snippet picked up on Yahoo news, the same thing is happening in each photograph but the captions tell a differant story.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7157BB
http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/photos_ts_afp/050830071810_shxwaoma_photo1

Not sure why I couldn't post the images but the links work.

Jenny
23545.  Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:26 am Reply with quote

lblm - I hope you don't mind, but I edited your post to make the long link shorter, as it was stretching the page rather wide.

Reader
23551.  Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:24 am Reply with quote

Wow, that is a great find.

laidbacklazyman
23553.  Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:27 am Reply with quote

I was directed to it via another forum that linked to one of these conspiracy type sites so I found the images just to check the credibilaty, shocking photo journalism if you ask me, not something to be proud of

Jenny Of course I don't mind the link shrinking

Gray
23562.  Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:21 am Reply with quote

Tom Hanks to (re)fake Moon landings

New 2005 special effects will make this moon landing even more convincing! :-D

Reader
23568.  Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote

I always found it rather hard to believe in the extent of the problem in America, until I spent a little time on some white power sites. Out of interest I then spent some time on black power sites - on the whole less offensive but also far less easy to read.

laidbacklazyman
23608.  Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:40 am Reply with quote

Ronnie Biggs has been refused permission to attend Slipper of the yard's funeral service.

Jack Slipper and Biggs had become close freinds since the great train robbery, with Slipper visiting Biggs a number of times in Brazil. The Governor of Bellmarsh claiming the day release on compasionate grounds was meant for family members only, Biggs' council claimed that Jack Slipper and Biggs had formed a freindship over the years and Biggs' respect for Slipper wassuch that he considered him closer than any family members he has.

JumpingJack
23672.  Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:44 am Reply with quote

Quite interestingly, I sat next to Slipper of the Yard at a boxing evening at the London Hilton about 30 years ago.

Very likeable bloke from a different era (even then). He was like a caricature copper from an Ealing comedy or Dixon of Dock Green.

The cabby who drove me to the hotel was called Phil. It turned out he was Alan Coren's cousin...

laidbacklazyman
25845.  Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:20 am Reply with quote

Not really QI news but it's a sad day in the word of comedy when you read that new about one of the funniest men I've ever seen

Page 2 of 28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next