View previous topic | View next topic

Forum Asides

Page 1 of 1

roundhead
506787.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote

As a relative newcomer to forums I am sometimes confused by some of the asides or shortcuts used in some posts.

I've figured out most of the emoticons but some of the verbal stuff is not all that obvious such as:

Phrases enclosed by * symbols rather than inverted commas.

The phrase <sigh> is fairly common but the obvious meaning escapes me (unrequited love? shoulder shrug? eye-rolling? tut-tutting?).

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Moosh
506796.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote

It's a convention on the Internet that if a phrase is enclosed by *s, it signifies an action, rather than something that should be read as part of the text.

I think <sigh> is usually eye-rolling, in the sense of "here we go again".

Sebastian flyte
506797.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote

Well I use '*' to denote *action* so looking at <sigh> I would *sigh* I'm not sure if that is what everyone else does with '*' but I think it would help you understand if you had the misfortune to read my posts. :) I hope I don't use it so much in my more sensible posts, with tone or whatever for <sigh> I suppose you have to do some detective work with whatever else is in the post. I'm afraid I can't help really but I suppose you will get used to everyones silly little ways eventually. :)

Sebastian flyte
506799.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote

Is it? *looks at Moosh* ahhhhh, I never knew <sigh> mean't that.. *makes note* ...

Moosh
506801.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote

Well that's how I would take it. It's not something I tend to use myself, and people often have slightly different meanings behind things. Usually you have to work out what someone means by it by factoring in their usual tone and manner of speaking.

roundhead
506818.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote

Thank you for the information.

Jenny
507156.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote

I tend to put actions in as if they were stage directions, in triangular brackets and italics.

Ameena
507241.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote

I tend to use triangle-brackets or asterisks for emotes, or put a slash at the beginning, for example "/agree", "/kill" which comes from my EQ days when emote (and chat) commands had a slash at the beginning.

Posital
507253.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote

me2

Still use it on IRC and jabber IM.

My favourite is:
/slap Ameena

Posital slaps Ameena around with a wet haddock.

I've used * to denote vocal stress on the old TTYs - but that *prolly* died out 20/30 years ago.

zomgmouse
507347.  Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote

Especially as this forum (and most forums) supports italicised text.

Page 1 of 1