View previous topic | View next topic

Title Sequence Quiz

Page 7 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Imagicka
1033202.  Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:21 am Reply with quote

Well, I've been wondering about the QI opening sequence screens ever since I watched the show and immediately recognized the alchemical symbols and font. Then scoured the internet for any discussion on the matter.

As for the other font/symbols they use (mostly arrows and such), I suspect it's a font as well, but I'm not as interested to work on it. If the alchemical symbols did actually turn out to be an Easter Egg of sorts, and actually meant something, then I'd do a little more delving into the matter.

There were a couple of slightly interesting things, like the last line of symbols. Using a Caesar Cipher, shifting two letters you end up with mostly roman numerals, but it doesn't equate to anything meaningful. Also, I thought it might be a good 'key' do a substitution cipher where you have 'NFONNOEN' indicating a word such as 'follows' or 'bottoms' but that didn't lead me anywhere either.

Yes, I've come to QI party a little later than everyone else.

dr.bob
1033206.  Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote

Better late than never :)

cornixt
1033261.  Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote

Imagicka wrote:
Also, I thought it might be a good 'key' do a substitution cipher where you have 'NFONNOEN' indicating a word such as 'follows' or 'bottoms' but that didn't lead me anywhere either.

That's what my immediate thought was when you posted it. The duplicate symbols next to each other certainly lead in that direction, since someone producing "random" lists is going to spread the symbols out a lot more.

suze
1033273.  Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote

It's taken nearly five years for us to award them, but I think Celebaelin must have a few long-delayed points. After I had suggested that those characters might be "some script used in the realms of the esoteric", Celeb suggested that they might be connected with alchemy.

In which we now learn that he was right, so he can have some points!

chrisboote
1033402.  Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:19 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure. After all, what sort of self-respecting quiz would award points (or even penalties) years after the question was originally answered?

tsarna
1093242.  Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote

I'm still hoping someone will identify #10 -- I'd very much like to know the answer!

suze
1093245.  Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote

Going back five years, I see that I confidently asserted that #10 was not Siglas Poveiras. That is a system of identifying marks - not strictly writing - which has been used for centuries in the north of Portugal.

There seems not to be a great deal about Siglas Poveiras on the Internet, and - unsurprisingly - much of what there is is in Portuguese. But if you look at this page (text in Portuguese, but the pictures are the important bit), it does bear some similarity to #10.

It's not identical, but you wouldn't expect an informal system of identifying marks to be completely standardized. Accordingly, I'm not as confident as I was five years ago that it isn't Siglas Poveiras.

tsarna
1093420.  Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote

It looks like writing to me. I'm not that familiar with Siglas Poveiras, but it seems unlikely to me that strings of identifying marks would be used in such a manner as shown.

It's been five years... perhaps it's time to admit defeat and ask the Elves?

suze
1093546.  Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote

Oh, we did that at least four years and eleven months ago!

Unfortunately, they can't remember exactly what all of them were either, and seem not to have written the information down anywhere!

Page 7 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7