View previous topic | View next topic

Title Sequence Quiz

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Moosh
508013.  Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
34. The first part of the text appears to be the following definition of scleroprotein from the Columbia Encyclopedia.
Quote:
scleroprotein large class of protein molecules that are ordinarily insoluble in water. The scleroproteins are employed principally for architectural purposes in the living cell and are localized in the structural tissues of bone, hair, skin, wool, silk, nails, hooves, and feathers. The major subclasses of scleroproteins include the collagens , elastins, and keratins .

On a closer reading, that doesn't match up that well. However the text does appear to be the same as the text in 3.

barbados
508127.  Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote

2 is the raw result of a piece of coding.
Everything has two states, hence the binary, it is either on (1) or off (0). Although it isn't strictly random, it was created to give a specific result, there is no way of actually telling what it means, what it does, or why it does it. It might even be the result of theme to the show being played on a CD player, in fact given the position in the sequence, it is quite likely I'd say.

barbados
508128.  Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote

Michael Young wrote:
Moosh wrote:
Michael Young wrote:
30 is the face of Big Ben

No it isn't, Big Ben looks like this, note the pattern in the centre and black rather than gold rings.

Hehe....someone fell for it. The face of Big Ben would be a side of a bell. You could argue it's not the face of the clock on the top of the Clock Tower at the Palace of Westminster. :)

I'm not 100% convinced that the clock isn't actually Little Ben. The bird of course isn't a pigeon, it's a rock dove.

barbados
508129.  Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote

I would also suggest the shark is a great white, however because of the blue tint added, it's hard to tell the correct colour of the underside of the shark.

Pierre
508134.  Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote

6. It does not look like proper contemporary French.So it could indeed be a translation of 3 with an automatic online translator, which would explain the numerous mistakes.

9. Part of it at least is clearly quantum mechanics. The extreme bottom right for instance uses bra-ket notations. I'm not quite sure though that it's meant to be a continuous sequence of calculations. The different parts of it seem unrelated to me.

12 left. Looks like a Mandelbrot fractal picture... or it could be some sort of spectrographic view of the Sun.

Froj
508142.  Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:53 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
Michael Young wrote:
Moosh wrote:
Michael Young wrote:
30 is the face of Big Ben

No it isn't, Big Ben looks like this, note the pattern in the centre and black rather than gold rings.

Hehe....someone fell for it. The face of Big Ben would be a side of a bell. You could argue it's not the face of the clock on the top of the Clock Tower at the Palace of Westminster. :)

I'm not 100% convinced that the clock isn't actually Little Ben. The bird of course isn't a pigeon, it's a rock dove.

It's not Little Ben either - the rings on its (Little Ben's) face are black, not gold.

Image source

cornixt
527106.  Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
2 is the raw result of a piece of coding.
Everything has two states, hence the binary, it is either on (1) or off (0). Although it isn't strictly random, it was created to give a specific result, there is no way of actually telling what it means, what it does, or why it does it. It might even be the result of theme to the show being played on a CD player, in fact given the position in the sequence, it is quite likely I'd say.

Given the presence of spaces, it is not going to be from a CD, they'd be continuous.
It looks a lot like machine code from the way it is spaced out (although the bottom row seems a bit iffy, I've not used machine code enough to be too sure about it). Given enough time, you could probably work out the assembler code, but that won't tell you much anyway. It'll probably just be some sequences for moving bits around in memory.

Posital
527135.  Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
Quote:
15 looks like it could be a sketch by Leonardo da Vinci

Yes, it's a sketch of his "helicopter" that was supposed to be human-powered and would never have gotten off the floor.

There must be some mistake - barney rubble invented the hand-powered helicopter.

Posital
527137.  Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote

Is 30 the clapham common clock tower?

dr.bob
527403.  Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote

If not, then it's a damn good likeness. Well spotted, Posital.

michi
530322.  Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote

As a native German speaker, the text from 11. seems oddly incomprehensible to me. Turns out it’s some sort of machine translation of The Columbia Encyclopedia. For example, »Hasen und Hasen« was “hares and rabbits” before the meaning of the phrase was completely destroyed by a clueless computer; this article on rabbits is the original text. The upper half matches the entry about acetic acid. It’s a pity they didn’t use a genuine German text.

Handys!

Last edited by michi on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Moosh
530327.  Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote

Seems an awful lot of the text was from the Columbia Encyclopedia.

Froj
530378.  Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote

Ah, thanks, michi! I had a (pretty poor) go at translating that German text, and couldn't make any sense of it. That it's a machine translation would explain it very well. (I'm also glad that the bit about the 'characteristic banana' makes sense in context - I thought I was really going mad when I read that.)

Also, is anyone else now finding it difficult to relax during the title sequence? I can't see it without getting stressed about the provenance of the clock face...

Imagicka
1033112.  Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote

Greetings...

Frame 5 is a font of symbols called Agathodaimon, named after a 4th century alchemist. They are alchemical symbols.

Converting the symbols directly into their corresponding letters, it mostly is upper case letters. Only the last two lines use lower-case letters.

I've tried a couple of simple deciphering methods, rot13, and Caesar cipher. But I didn't find anything in particular interesting. But the letters seem like something someone would type if they were trying to come up with something random, like 'LBL' and 'PNP'.

dr.bob
1033184.  Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote

Great stuff Imagicka! This is the best example of thread resurrection ever.

I guess the symbols were just placed randomly by a graphic designer who thought they looked pretty. Then again, if anyone wants to have a go at deciphering them... :)

Page 6 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next