View previous topic | View next topic

Title Sequence Quiz

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

bobwilson
502983.  Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote

There's something kind of scary about the fact that the telephone numbers were not only identified as being London (sort of geekish) but narrowed down to almost a specific page in a specific year.

smiley_face
503055.  Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote

In Minerva's defence, it's not exactly difficult to realise that the phone numbers begin (020), and that those are all London postcodes.

Zetland
503137.  Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote

96aelw wrote:
Moosh wrote:
4 is obviously a dictionary, but what interests me is that it shows the word "pragmatize", so it's an American-English dictionary.

Not necessarily. My Shorter Oxford has "pragmatize", and lists "pragmatise" only to say "var. of PRAGMATIZE". As Bill Bryson puts it in his Dictionary of Troublesome Words:

Quote:
Do you realise or realize? Criticise or criticize? For Americans the question does not arise; -ize is the invariable form. But Britons must choose. It is one of the more arresting ironies of British usage that the leading authorities all prescribe -ize and hardly anyone pays them any heed. In this respect, The Oxford English Dictionary is at once the most venerated and ignored of arbiters.

27 is the Statue of Liberty, obviously. But the text on top seems to be a dictionary again. In fact, possibly the same dictionary as is in 4. I can make out definitoons for out of practice and prarie grouse, and with the text being smaller, it looks like the same page, in a wider view.

suze
506752.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote

Now then, this has all gone a bit quiet. So let's see where we are at with these pictures:

1. is an extract from The Bible; John 14 to be precise. It is suggested that the particular text may be that of the Contemporary English Version.
2. is a load of binary digits. Are they anything other than purely random?
3. is the definition of "Keratin" from an as yet unidentified work of reference.
4. is the definition of "pragmatism" and some other words from an unidentified dictionary, probably either American or from the Oxford stable because of its use of -ize.
5. seems to be a script used in some kind of arcana. Alchemy has been suggested as perhaps being the subject matter.
6. seems to be a translation of 3. into French.
7. is the Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia's entry for "cable".
8. is an extract from a DNA sequence, laid out in a non standard way.
9. is from the realm of "hard math"; more specific information welcomed
10. looks like a script used for language rather than some kind of arcana, but if so I then ought to recognise it and I don't.
11. is probably from a German reference book. The subject matter switches from chemistry to hares, and the font used is a rather odd one.
13. a cow, the Space Shuttle, and a bunch of bananas. Are they the opening photos of a news bulletin or similar?
14. a red telephone kiosk, some kind of mammal, and the Eiffel Tower.
15. is a sketch of a helicopter by Leonardo da Vinci, overlying the same text as 6.
16. is a tiger. Can we be more specific?
17. is John Lloyd's son
18. is a cheeseboard. What's the blue thing at the front?
19. is from the realms of Ancient Classical Art. Can we be more specific?
20. is the statue of O Cristo Redentor in Rio de Janeiro, overlying the same text as 11.
21. is a shark overlying an extract from a version of the periodic table dated between 1997 and 2003 (as deduced by the use of meitnerium for 109, but ununnilium rather than darmstadtium for 110). Can we be more precise about the shark?
22. Corsica and Sardinia
23. is 22. bis
24. another bit of John 14. From the same version of The Bible? And what is the mountain?
25. is the Mahatma, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. I can't make out the text; in fact I'm not even sure whether it's Roman alphabet or Arabic script.
26. some foliage, and some writing which I think is in French. Anything more specific welcomed!
27. is Liberty Enlightening the World in New York. The underlying text looks as if it may be from the same dictionary as 4.
28. is a red eyed tree frog, Agalychnis callidryas. The underlying text seems to me to be Punjabi in the Gurmukhi script, but I don't know what it says.
29. is a bird (I know sod all about ornithology, so can be no more specific). The underlying text is from a directory called Restaurants and Takeaways in London.
30. is the face of a large clock, overlying the same text as 11.
31. is one or other of John Lloyd's daughters - both claim to be that little girl. Underlying is the same DNA sequence as at 8.
32. is the Cathedral of Intercession of the Virgin on the Moat (aka St Basil's) in Moscow. (Not the Kremlin, which is the other side of Red Square.) I can't really make out the underlying text; is it Egyptian hieroglyphs?
33. a tropical island, and the binary digits from 2. I was going to use the word "atoll", but they don't have mountains do they?
34. Shakespeare, obviously. The underlying text looks scientific, but I don't think it's any of the ones we've already had.

Moosh
506793.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote

Okay, here's where I disagree or can add more the suze's lsit above:

9. It'd be easier if there wasn't a bloody great magnifying glass in the way, but form the look of the symbols used I'd hazard that it was physics rather than maths.
12. The back image is a representation of the mandelbrot set or something similar
14. Is it not 13 with the telephone box in front?
16. From the colouring and general face shape, the tiger is not Siberian, not Malayan, probably not Indochinese, and probably not Sumatran. So either Bengal or South China, and I'd put my money on Bengal.
18. Is a collection of tablets and capsules, not a cheeseboard.

Michael Young
507094.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote

Jaws fans like me suggest that 21 is the Great White shark.

I too think the tiger is a Bengal tiger, based on the facial markings.

14 is indeed 13 with an extra image added, although a cow is "some kind of mammal" and the bananas do look like the eiffel tower.

24... isn't that an island? My first thought was Krakatoa but it's the wrong shape.

26 looks like ivy leaves to me

29 is a pigeon

30 is the face of Big Ben

violetriga
507146.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote

The binary converts* as
0 6 54 6 1 3 ?
? 30 18 5 111 ?
? 13 2 1 0 ? ?
? 0 1 0 3 ?
? 1 12 ? ?
425 12 ? ? ?
? 107 5 ? ? ?
? 8 18 4 1 0 1 1?
? 3 0 2 0 0 7 0 0 ?
0 6 0 4 2 0 ?

I certainly know of no usage of binary whereby they would all be chunked in a non-uniform way, so I'm guessing that it's all totally made up. Pretty easy to do when it's down to just 1s, 0s, and spaces but I would've thought they'd have gone for something a little more cryptic.

* - I've quickly converted it to decimal in my head, so (a) there is a slight (slight) chance of error, and (b) it's assuming that, should there be any meaning, decimal would be the way to go.

violetriga
507148.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
2 is clearly binary, but there are some "00"s in there. Is 00 not just the same as 0? If so, I suppose it might just be some arbitrary 0s and 1s.

00 is basically the same as 0 but can be used to ensure correct bit size. As I said in my previous post, however, I wouldn't see a reason to have such random chunking.

I note that the same binary is used in another image, this time showing more of the numbers. I'll not bother to convert that lot.

eggshaped
507381.  Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:59 am Reply with quote

Quote:
9. It'd be easier if there wasn't a bloody great magnifying glass in the way, but form the look of the symbols used I'd hazard that it was physics rather than maths.

You may well be right about that, but the first few lines look more like maths to my eyes. All those ns and (n+1)s look a lot like terrible dreams I used to have about infinite series.

The lower parts with "mu"s, "subscript i"s and "subscript j"s appear to be more applied though. If I were a betting man I'd say there were at least two sets of "hard math" here.

Moosh
507402.  Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:36 am Reply with quote

You may well be right eggshaped, the bottom bit doesn't seem to be connected to the upper bit. The (n+1)s along with lots of use of alphas and betas make me think of probability.

Droid
507428.  Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:08 am Reply with quote

The "flower" in 12 looks like it may be of the genus Gerbera. Certainly it's one of the "daisy" type.

Moosh
507710.  Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
10. looks like a script used for language rather than some kind of arcana, but if so I then ought to recognise it and I don't.

The spade and the tree make me think that the symbols could be from some form of tramp sign. Though that would point to the text being a random arrangement of symbols rather than something meaninful.

19. is this image mirrored.

Michael Young wrote:

No it isn't, Big Ben looks like this, note the pattern in the centre and black rather than gold rings.

34. The first part of the text appears to be the following definition of scleroprotein from the Columbia Encyclopedia.
Quote:
scleroprotein large class of protein molecules that are ordinarily insoluble in water. The scleroproteins are employed principally for architectural purposes in the living cell and are localized in the structural tissues of bone, hair, skin, wool, silk, nails, hooves, and feathers. The major subclasses of scleroproteins include the collagens , elastins, and keratins .

33. Looks quite like Bora Bora. Haven't managed to find a picture that makes me certain though.

Can you tell I've got nothing to do? :P

Michael Young
507868.  Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
Michael Young wrote:

No it isn't, Big Ben looks like this, note the pattern in the centre and black rather than gold rings.

Hehe....someone fell for it. The face of Big Ben would be a side of a bell. You could argue it's not the face of the clock on the top of the Clock Tower at the Palace of Westminster. :)

Mandibles
507873.  Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote

5 points for Mr Young. =]

Michael Young
507875.  Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote

I'm jus' doin' wha' I do bes'.

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next