View previous topic | View next topic

Title Sequence Quiz

Page 4 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

MinervaMoon
502061.  Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote

The phone numbers are from some directory of London from a few years back; Indian takeaways or something of that like. I Googled them quite a while ago. Have to dash now, but maybe someone else can find them.

Froj
502066.  Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote

OK, the German text from 11. It's very difficult to get an idea of the sentence structure from such short excerpts, and the text isn't that easy to read, so I doubt this is very accurate. But it should give a rough idea of the subject-matter if anyone can think of where it might come from:

"...a third or two thirds is...
...the closing cellulose acetate, that by...
...and plastics with different...
...amyl, butyl, ethyl, methyl, and...
...certain quick-drying lacquers...
...because it is a characteristic banana...
...any chemical elements. The atom...
...built is made. Hares and hares have...
...have feet for running or jumping...
...as the width needs anyway..."

MinervaMoon
502067.  Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote

Here's a clearer cap:

And here's the source: A London takeaway directory. As the titles were made circa 2003, it's a bit out of date, but some of them are still there.

Now I really have to dash.

Celebaelin
502119.  Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote

As regards 8 and 31 you'll probably not be able to identify what the DNA sequence shown is. The sequence is not continuous and there's no indication of reading frame so even with access to a sequence search engine the data shown are probably not sufficient. The odd way the bases are divided into irregular groups of 4 to 6 bases is odd - I've not seen sequences presented this way before and that might be a clue I suppose.

barbados
502130.  Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote

Do I get a special bonus mention for knowing that the telephone numbers, not only are just a random page from a London telephone directory, but also a selection inspired by a researcher from the first series Adam Jacot De Boinod's book "The Meaning of Tingo"?

suze
502174.  Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote

You certainly do - special bonus mention for barbados, right here!

6. is in French, and the subject matter appears to be chemistry. I'm not sure whether it will be possible to be any more specific there.

5. and 10. are troubling me at the moment. If they are actually scripts used to write language, I probably ought to know what they are. 5. looks a bit like a (highly stylized) Linear A, but isn't. Is it possibly some script used in the realms of the esoteric or the occult?

As for 10., it looks vaguely runic, but it's not Fužorc, it's not Ogham, it's not Old Hungarian, and it's not Poveiras.

MinervaMoon
502209.  Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
6. is in French, and the subject matter appears to be chemistry. I'm not sure whether it will be possible to be any more specific there.

I may be wrong, as I haven't looked into it, but it contains something about keratins, which is the subject matter for number 3. It's possibly just the French translation of that definition.

Celebaelin
502262.  Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote

5 looks alchemical to me but 10 less so. I'd go in search of an astrology/alchemy site but I've been up all night and need some Zs.

barbados
502275.  Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:39 am Reply with quote

No one has mentioned the two easy ones.
The children pictured are junior Lloyds although which one is who, I seem to recall JL himself is unable to differentiate.

Droid
502282.  Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:45 am Reply with quote

The periodic table in 21 should be datable.
Using Wiki as a referenceit would suggest a version from before Aug 16 2003 when the IUPAC agreed on the name Darmstadtium, symbol Ds, for element 110, previously Ununnilium.

eggshaped
502291.  Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:59 am Reply with quote

Quote:
15 looks like it could be a sketch by Leonardo da Vinci

Yes, it's a sketch of his "helicopter" that was supposed to be human-powered and would never have gotten off the floor.

Droid
502571.  Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote

The use of the symbol Mt for element 109 (Meitnerium) means that the periodic table is from after 1997. So the age of this version can be deduced by a form of Radioisotope dating. Sorry. It amused me.

dr.bob
502577.  Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
No one has mentioned the two easy ones.
The children pictured are junior Lloyds although which one is who, I seem to recall JL himself is unable to differentiate.

He knows who the child in the high chair is. That's his son, Harry, who's now 18 years old. The baby in the red hat is one of his daughters. He has two, and apparently they both claim it's them, though Mr Lloyd has apparently forgotten which one is in the photo.

So that's at least one factoid that must remain forever out of reach.

Froj
502649.  Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote

25 - is that Mahatma Gandhi? (Or Mohandas Gandhi, to be a little more pedantic.)

eggshaped
502680.  Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
The language of 28. is Punjabi written in the Gurmukhi script, though I don't know what it says.

I'll let someone else say precisely what species of amphibian is in front of the text.

I reckon it's a red-eyed tree frog, Agalychnis callidryas.

Page 4 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next