View previous topic | View next topic

Should bankers be hunted down like dogs?

Page 87 of 95
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 93, 94, 95  Next

Bankers deserve everything they get
Yes, and they should go on getting it
32%
 32%  [ 12 ]
No, they should be cast into outer darkness
67%
 67%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 37

CB27
927015.  Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote

It seems to be happening too often recently, I'm starting to wonder if there's something going on...

Efros
927833.  Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19045737

Seems Iran doesn't have the same sort of tolerance as the West does concerning banking irregularities.

Jenny
927920.  Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Pour encourager les autres, one assumes?

gruff5
928301.  Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:19 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
It seems to be happening too often recently, I'm starting to wonder if there's something going on...

"Computer says no" could be very useful for preventing runs on a bank ....

99percenter
940919.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:34 am Reply with quote

youtube.com/watch?v=n8pLHoVqGLI

Never forget that bankers greed from the World Trade Centre blood, and the lies and miselling of mortgages and manipulation of people, created this world financial crisis, this BBC video explains how it was done and shows some of the leading players. It goes onto say why the governments relaxed the regulations and then were forced to help the banks with our tax money, and how the bankers are spending our money today. It's all based on blood money and it's sickening. Some of the 1% don't deserve what they have. Please watch and get angry.

CB27
940946.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote

Does it feature any lizard people? I won't angrily back a conspiracy I know nothing about unless it features lizard people.

exnihilo
940950.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote

Arf.

Efros
940958.  Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote

It's a BBC doc, and actually quite interesting, and no there are no lizard people.

CB27
941634.  Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote

I see Simon Hughes is pandering to those with a hatred for banks by making some outrageous claims linking banks with racism.

I personally would not be surprised if individuals within banks make decisions based on racism, that's something you will get anywhere, not just in banks, and should be tackled head on.

However, Hughes wasn't talking about individual bankers, he claimed "I have seen clearly banks, and heard clearly banks, who make racist decisions".

It seems it's such a popular past time now to bash banks that his comments are being reported in a passive way, with no comments as to whether it was right or wrong for him to make such claims.

Efros
941639.  Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote

I actually think banks are probably more likely to make decisions on who they can screw for the most money irrespective of race.

suze
941642.  Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
I see Simon Hughes is pandering to those with a hatred for banks by making some outrageous claims linking banks with racism.

His claims may appear outrageous, but consider this.

He makes a very serious allegation, and if his allegation is false (or indeed, if it is not demonstrably true, which is not the same thing), he may expect to find himself in court before long. Anything said in Parliament is covered by parliamentary privilege, but the same is not true of speeches at party conferences.

Mr Hughes is not stupid, so he must know that cet par some of the banks are fairly likely to sue him over these remarks. (Unless, of course, they accept what he said as being broadly true.) I can, therefore, only imagine that he has sufficent evidence to support his claim that he's quite relaxed about the possibility of that happening.

PDR
941662.  Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote

I haven't heard the whole diatribe, but from the pieces I've heard he was careful to only ever say "Banks" - never "the Daragon branch of Gringotts" or "In the offices of the 9th National Bank of Valahalla*". I suspect this would make it difficult for a specific bank to make a case for libel.

PDR

* yes, I accept that this is more likely to be an Icelandic bank, but I was just trying to be very clear that my examples related in no way to any real bank.

Neotenic
941676.  Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote

Quote:
It goes onto say why the governments relaxed the regulations and then were forced to help the banks with our tax money, and how the bankers are spending our money today.

Just jumping back a moment, that documentary was first broadcast in 2008, so it doesn't tell us anything about what is happening 'today', as there have been some pretty material changes since then.

Oh, and it should also be mentioned that it was made right at the peak of Peston's ridiculous sensationalism, so it's blown out of all proportion.

The Simon Hughes thing is fucking ridiculous. Unless he is going to cite examples, it's no better than a 'bloke in a pub' story being given a national platform. I can't help but wonder whether it is just a quick headline-grabber chucked out at conference to distract away from the dreadful hash Clegg made of talking about benefit cuts for wealthy pensioners.

PDR
941682.  Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote

Well it worked - no one noticed his proposed taxes on wheelchairs, white sticks and hearing aids...

PDR

CB27
941706.  Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote

suze, by not naming any banks or areas there is nothing any bank can do to Hughes, he doesn't need any proof to back up his claims, he can just say "I didn't mention you or your branches" and that's that.

As disappointed as I am that a senior politician would make such a claim, I'm equally disappointed that the media has not bothered to challenge him on it.

Page 87 of 95
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 93, 94, 95  Next