View previous topic | View next topic

Ear Lobes...

Page 1 of 1

Which group do you fall in, Hanging or Not Hanging...?
Hanging
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
Not Hanging
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

Johnag
491983.  Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote

Hi all,

After watching the Eyes and Ears show again the other night, I have been looking at peoples ears to see if they have hanging type lobes or no hanging lobes, I myself fall into the no hanging lobes group...

Most people I have seen in my area seem to also fall into the no hanging lobe group also, yet on the show they said the no hanging lobes where the minority...

Have they got this fact the right way around...??

John...

costean
492017.  Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote

Hi John, welcome to the boards. A recessive gene is responsible for attached lobes and the dominant gene for unattached. This would imply that unattached would be more common, although it does, of course, rely on the assumption that only a single gene is responsible for the attachableness (or lack of it) of earlobes. This may not necessarily be the case. There has been discussion of this (and related matters) in the past. Please see post 158692 and post 489908.

bobwilson
497034.  Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote

wasn't it about 40/60 - so any local deviance is irrelevant?

Posital
497058.  Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote

Since cartilage just keeps on growing - as you get older it's possible to move from none to truly pendulous!!

Hmmm - maybe there's no cartilage in the lobes - but I think they do continue growing - honest!!

3cheeseshigh
497274.  Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:12 am Reply with quote

I can't vote properly, as I have 1 hanging and 1 not hanging (then again I'm just weird!) - and I am talking about my earlobes, so no sniggering at the back!

Southpaw
497329.  Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't vote properly, as I have 1 hanging and 1 not hanging (then again I'm just weird!) - and I am talking about my earlobes, so no sniggering at the back!

That should be impossible, unless you are some kind of genetic freak. Yes, that must be it.

Johnag
498025.  Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:03 am Reply with quote

I now find myself trying to look at peoples ear lobes everywhere I go (mind I don't see that many as I don't go out much) or whilst watching TV...

And still I see mainly none hanging lobes...

Fifi
498038.  Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:44 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Since cartilage just keeps on growing - as you get older it's possible to move from none to truly pendulous!!

Hmmm - maybe there's no cartilage in the lobes - but I think they do continue growing - honest!!

I don't think lobes grow as such, more just loose their elasticity and form.

I have lobes that hang.

3cheeseshigh
498096.  Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:45 am Reply with quote

Southpaw wrote:
Quote:

That should be impossible, unless you are some kind of genetic freak. Yes, that must be it.

Got it in one! My right lobe is fully attached to my face, but my left has a gap - maybe I was pulled around by the left ear a lot as a child.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
505883.  Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote

I have hanging earlobes.

Page 1 of 1