View previous topic | View next topic

Flight

Page 1 of 1

scubascooby
489457.  Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote

I was rather hoping they would ask who first flew the Atlantic just to see if anyone would give the answer that most Americans would give (sorry guys).

mckeonj
489587.  Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Two questions, two different answers:
Who first flew across the Atlantic?
Who first flew solo across the Atlantic?

Dr. Know
489589.  Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote

Didn't they have a question in a previous series about that guy who claimed he accidentally went the wrong way?

Celebaelin
489593.  Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote

Alcock and Brown 1919 (British) - lost opportunity to hear SF saying All...cock cf ball...cock, one feels.

Lindbergh 1927 (American)

thegrandwazoo
489678.  Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Alcock and Brown 1919 (British) - lost opportunity to hear SF saying All...cock cf ball...cock, one feels.

Lindbergh 1927 (American)

I went to the same school as one of Alcock and Brown, never could remember which, (he was the quiet boy at the back with the paper planes).
I can never decide if they were incredibly brave or incredibly stupid. Can you imagine setting off to fly the Atlantic in something Bluebottle could have knocked up out of paper and string! To quote SF quoting Churchill " makes you proud to be British"

PDR
489707.  Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote

dr. know wrote:
Didn't they have a question in a previous series about that guy who claimed he accidentally went the wrong way?

Doug "wrong way" Corrigan

PDR

masterfroggy
489989.  Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote

scubascooby wrote:
I was rather hoping they would ask who first flew the Atlantic just to see if anyone would give the answer that most Americans would give (sorry guys).
The first man to fly across the Atlantic was an american called Albert C. “Putty” Read, in May 1919.

thegrandwazoo
490355.  Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote

masterfroggy wrote:
scubascooby wrote:
The first man to fly across the Atlantic was an american called Albert C. “Putty” Read, in May 1919.

Thanks for that mf, that's really QI (to me at least). Never heard of him but it makes sense to try it in a flying boat first, just in case!

Celebaelin
491832.  Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote

Quote:
As a Lt. Commander in May 1919, Read commanded a crew of five on the NC-4 flying boat, the first aircraft ever to make a transatlantic flight——it was eight years before Charles Lindbergh’s historic solo, non-stop flight. Read's flight started from Rockaway Beach, Long Island, took 23 days——and six stops——before arriving in Plymouth, England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Cushing_Read

OK, so that's what the question was - but not really what was understood. So I mentally inserted 'non-stop' when I shouldn't have done - go ahead, klaxon me, see if I care *mutters*

As you can read above the C stands for Cushing by the way (I have seen you buying vegetables).

scubascooby
501226.  Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Sorry but landing in the middle doesn't count. You might as well sail or steam across and then jump 12 inches onto the quay when you reach Liverpool.

He took 23 days and six stops. If they had landed and put up a sail it would have been quicker.

Notice that the wikipedia page make no mention of Alcock and Brown making the flight non-stop in 16 hrs 12min only a month after.

masterfroggy
501264.  Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote

scubascooby wrote:
the question you asked was "who first flew the Atlantic" the answer is as I have given.
Now should you wish to rephrase the question I suggest you do so,
but the answer I have given is the right answer for the question you posed. No ifs, no buts

PDR
502116.  Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote

Well if you want to be picky about the phrasing of the original question I would have to point out that the only correct answer must be that NOBODY has ever flown the Atlantic. The body of water has never been flown because it has the aerodynamic properties of an ocean and getting it to fly would be beyond even today's technology.

An alternative answer might be "a french test pilot", but I'd have to dig into Breget's records to find who did the prototypre's maiden flight.

PDR

scubascooby
507642.  Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote

You are quite right, getting an ocean to fly is rather tricky. I ommitted the rather important word "across". :-)

Must dash, I am busy flying the Irish Sea. Seas are much easier to fly.

Page 1 of 1