View previous topic | View next topic

Opening Posts

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

PDR
1205590.  Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote

You are quite right - I misread the complaint in the OP, Apols.

PDR

suze
1205642.  Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
I'm not sure of the specifics, but my understanding is that the phpBB was modified for the forum, and if that is the case, I suspect that it's not running the latest release, but the one that the mods were made to.

That is precisely right.

A previous IT Elf hacked up the forum software quite substantially to get it to do what he wanted it to. That particular IT Elf then left the organization (six parts resigned and half a dozen parts fired), and the current IT Elf has established that to upgrade to a more recent edition of phpBB would need a lot of de-hacking of the software to be done first.

If our IT department were a dozen keen coders who had been hired straight out of coding school, we could do it. But since it's actually a guy called Bob who has a day job, PDR's statement becomes relevant.

PDR wrote:
This forum is run on a shoestring due to the charitable beneficence of the QI fraternity. This applies to both the time and effort of the Elven and Peredhil folk and the money to fund its server space.

The hosting of the forums doesn't actually cost very much, and Commander Lloyd is kind enough to pay for it. But if we asked him to spend thousands of pounds on those guys out of coding school, he might remember that these forums are no longer a key part of his plans for world domination.

Jenny
1205784.  Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote

For Yokozuna's benefit - if you want to go back to the very beginning of a thread, look in the address bar. Set the last number to =0 and it will take you back to whatever is currently the beginning of that thread.

Welcome to the forums :-)

BoysGreat
1241512.  Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote

I have just joined here guys, nice to see you all.

Jenny
1241608.  Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to you BoysGreat.

Yokozuna
1241925.  Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Jenny, thank you for thinking of my "benefit," but you simply regurgitated something I had stated a week earlier. In that posting I stated that I knew about "start=0" in the URL bar, and considered it a troublesome workaround because phpBB allows setting that parameter as a permanent option in the user's profile page. The feature is located together with the option for always looking at threads in forward or reverse chronological order.

p.s. Your welcome reply to BoysGreat's OT comment brought me back here, rather expecting an update to the original conversation. Maybe the resurrection of this thread will attract others to contribute.

Jenny
1242141.  Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Dr.bob is our webmaster, Yokozuna, so maybe send him a pm in case he doesn't see this?

Alfred E Neuman
1242173.  Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:35 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Dr.bob is our webmaster, Yokozuna, so maybe send him a pm in case he doesn't see this?

The question has already been answered, but it seems that either those answers were missed or ignored.

dr.bob
1242189.  Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:00 am Reply with quote

I'll answer it again since, reading back through the thread, it seems that the answer was rather brief and may have been missed.

When browsing any forum, you are presented with a list of threads. Clicking on the title of the thread will present you with the latest 15 posts on that thread. This is useful behaviour for people who visit regularly and only want to catch up on the latest posts.

Below the title of the thread are page numbers if the thread is long enough to spill over into multiple pages. If you wish to read the thread from the original post, you simply have to click on the small number "1" below the title of the thread.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2