48%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 25

DELETED
573526.  Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote

DELETED

Last edited by DELETED on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:12 am; edited 2 times in total

Jenny
573544.  Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote

Bowedyapper - welcome to the forums - as well as this thread, there was also a discussion of this topic on a thread beginning at post 482482

Thortitthru
650282.  Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote

In the animal kingdom, size and strength is the main advantage in intra-species fighting. With inter-species fighting, there are many instances where smaller animal wins (crocodile versus wilderbeast, lion versus zebra, scorpion versus many creatures etc.)

With human to human fighting, size and strength are a factor but these are usually secondary to fighting style. the difference with humans is we have the ability to think logically and creatively etc. This is the whole point behind the fighting in martial arts.

IMO Bruce Lee would almost certainly win because...

1. He was a real fighter not just a movie star/trainer. He never refused a challenge and could even fight several at once.
2. He was very strong for his size.
3. He was very fast.
4. He used a composite of styles in JKD which gave him incredible flexibility and the most potent skill set.
5. He could wrestle.
6. He was incredibly motivated to fight and win.
7. Boxing alone is a poor means of fighting. Against a skilled martial artist, a boxer would have not much chance. Even with some street-fighting experience, still little chance.
8. Bruce would use Ali's size against him as he did against a giant fighter in The Game of Death. He would alos use his own relative lightness to his advantage.

Many of those posting above seem to have profound ignorance of Bruce Lee's life/skills. He hated fakeness in his films (like modern Crouching Tiger.. etc.) and he even had to slowdown to allow film to capture his moves !! Where Fry or his researchers got evidence that his films were speeded up I don't know but I'm sure it's completely wrong. Lee was a genius at fighting - he invented his own style which could beat any other style ever invented. He was also a philosopher and a man of great integrity. Ali was a loud mouthed, arrogant and racist. I also don't think he ever fought at 240 pounds weight as someone said above. Schwarzenegger was about that and 6 foot 2 - one inch shorter than Ali - don't tell me Ali was as big as Arnold !

bobwilson
650380.  Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote

All I will say is that I could have them both - at the same time - with one hand tied behind my back.

Davini994
650830.  Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote

Ali was about 210 pounds in his prime, which is about 95kg if you work in kgs like me. For comparison, Nikolai Valuev is 143kg, and David Haye is 99kg. So Ali was pretty small.

As for the rest of your post, there isn't anything new, apart from using a fictional film as evidence. If you read through the thread you'll find responses to everything you've said then.

Ion Zone
650885.  Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Boxing is not a real fighting style, boxers aren't trained to anticipate anything more than a punch to the body or face, it is merely a competitive sport, like Olympic archery, it bears no relation to the actual thing. Size is irrelevant, Lee has taken down bigger.

soup
650955.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
All I will say is that I could have them both - at the same time - with one hand tied behind my back.

Yeah well. As one is dead and the other has Parkinson's (quite badly affected if the videos I have seen are true) that would be no great feat

Kishan Vekaria
654035.  Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote

Hi im new to this forum and i study in Bruce Lee's martial art of Jeet Kune Do. I agree that Steven Fry was wrong about the match up on the tv show. He simply didn't put all the factors into the equation, there are some fighting techniques and tactics that Steven Fry doesn't seem to be aware of. Grappling is of course the most obvious here, Ali would not have had a chance to punch if Bruce had simply used a takedown to bring Ali to the floor and once there the one with greater knowledge in grappling, Bruce Lee, would have won the battle

DELETED
705200.  Tue May 04, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote

DELETED

Last edited by DELETED on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total

bobwilson
706000.  Thu May 06, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote

soup wrote:
bobwilson wrote:

Yeah well. As one is dead and the other has Parkinson's (quite badly affected if the videos I have seen are true) that would be no great feat

I never claimed to be fair.

Sadurian Mike
706055.  Thu May 06, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote

Bearing that in mind, obviously bob (or any of us) could actually beat both Lee and Ali at the moment. It wouldn't exactly be a classic fight, but it does rather put the question into perspective.

Having said that, you'd need to be alert; a thump from Ali even in his current condition, would be Bad.

Alfred E Neuman
706088.  Thu May 06, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote

I think I'd still need the classic hit-him-with-a-barstool-and-then-run-like-hell* approach if I fought Ali.

* If he goes down, you're running to avoid the assault GBH charge, and if he doesn't go down after you've hit him with a barstool, the reason for running is obvious.

Sadurian Mike
706174.  Thu May 06, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
I think I'd still need the classic hit-him-with-a-barstool-and-then-run-like-hell* approach if I fought Ali.

I direct the gentleman to my esteemed colleague's answer to fighting Ali;
bobwilson wrote:
I never claimed to be fair.

Fat Cat
709314.  Fri May 14, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote

I am no expert in martial arts or boxing (I'm a lover, not a fighter!), but from what I have seen there is a big difference between the two. In boxing you are actively trying to knockout (in the physical sense) your opponent. Surely one thing in Ali's favor is that he is/was used to getting hit very hard in the head and torso for long periods of time. From my limited view of martial arts, there are very few (if any?) where the aim is to render your opponent unconsious. Most have a points system for striking different parts of the body. Therefore would Lee have been able to take a punch to the head/torso in the same way that Ali would?

Sadurian Mike
800433.  Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote

Another random quoting?

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next