View previous topic | View next topic

Fighting Fauna (or Football and Futility)

Page 1 of 1

Keiichi
482772.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote

From the Fight or Flight show, Lions vs Bears - which would win? Well, the Bears would - 's bloody obvious, that.

Have you seen the way the Detroit Lions have been playing the past few years?! Chicago have been guaranteed a couple of wins against them for some time...

*dodges brickshots*

They went 0-16 in 2008, the very first team to lose every single game in a 16-game regular season. My Miami Dolphins went damn close in 2007, going 1-15 - but for a heaven-sent 63-yard TD catch and run by Greg Camarillo that won the Week 15 game against Baltimore in overtime, they'd have gone the same way as Detroit did this year. That was the longest play from scrimmage for Miami that season.

In 2008, the Dolphins had an amazing turnaround, possibly contributed to by the fact they had a 4th-place schedule (meaning the teams they faced from other divisions also came last in 2007) - they went from 1-15 to 11-5, winning the AFC East and going to the playoffs for the first time since 2000. And, erm, losing against Baltimore in the wildcards.

The key to the season was the Wildcat offensive formation, where it wasn't always the quarterback who took the snap - in fact, Chad Pennington wasn't even behind the center some of the time, lining up as a receiver. Running backs Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams often took direct snaps, confusing the opponents and opening up wide spaces for huge gains and scores. In the Week 3 game against the New England Patriots, the Wildcat's debut, Ronnie Brown had a hand - literally - in all five touchdowns Miami scored to rip the Pats apart 38-13. He ran four in himself, then passed left-handed for a fifth. One week later, Miami also beat San Diego in 2008, meaning that they had beaten both teams that were in the 2007-08 AFC Conference Championship game.

For the record, New England came within 35 seconds of only the second ever Perfect Season in modern American football. They'd already eclipsed the 1972 Dolphins' 14-0 regular season by going 16-0 before the playoffs - two playoff wins later they were ahead in Super Bowl XLII, before New York Giants QB Eli Manning and WR Plaxico Burress proved the existence of a living and active god to Miami fans (other than the one that wore #13 for us). One ball lofted in the air, one catch, one loss for the Patriots - and it was the most important loss of the lot. Oh, the champagne flowed like a river through south Florida that night.

Two other teams that have gone winless in the pros were the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who went 0-14 in their very first year, and the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks, a North Carolina team that only lasted one ten-game season: the inaugural World League of American Football, back in 1991. That was the year that the London Monarchs ran riot, almost had that second perfect season in modern football, only losing to the Barcelona Dragons in the last week of the regular season. They won the first World Bowl, held at Wembley, getting revenge against the Dragons with a 21-0 win in front of a 61,108 crowd.

bobwilson
488482.  Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote

Is this available in an English translation?

Efros
488518.  Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote

Howsabout: 60 minute game happening in 30 second bursts taking 4 hours to complete, 100s of 1000s of spectators die of terminal boredom and cholesterol overdose.

Keiichi
514290.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote

Yeah? Howsabout: [q] ♪♫ Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes... ♪♫ [/q]

Ah, but I jest. After all, I'm sure you too can run a 4.2-second 40 yard dash, turn on a sixpence to lose your defender, sprint another 20 yards and catch a non-spherical ball that's spiralling through the air, having been thrown four seconds back, then tear-arse down the remaining 30-odd yards with a hulking great linebacker after you.

You want to be closed-minded about one of the most physically intense, highly-skilled sports on the planet, hell, who am I to stop you. You're as entitled to your opinion as much as I am mine - as are the other 165,000+ people who've been to the Wembley games so far.

96aelw
514294.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote

It's not closed minded to find a particular game dull, just personal taste. And the skill involved is irrelevant; there was no denial that great skill is needed to play that particular sport well. Largely, I suspect, because how difficult something is to do has very little to do with how interesting it is to watch.

Efros
514303.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote

Keiichi wrote:
Yeah? Howsabout: [q] ♪♫ Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes... ♪♫ [/q]

Honestly fail to see what racism has to do with disliking American Football, and I really couldn't give a shit what happens at Wembley, I really don't like football so I suppose that makes me hate most of the world now. I'm far more interested in what is happening in Murrayfield, Twickenham, Lords or Headingley. My criticisms are accepted by the majority of my American friends, and if I was racist (is American a race?) I certainly chose a strange place to live and a strange nationality of wife to marry. Face it, I just don't care for the long drawn out affair that is an American football game, I do, however, quite like the highlights shows though.

bobwilson
514350.  Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
turn on a sixpence

Surely - turn on a dime? It was American Football that was the subject wasn't it?

Page 1 of 1