View previous topic | View next topic

Fight or Flight errors and queries

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Ian Dunn
482654.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:32 am Reply with quote

I have spotted some errors in the latest edition of the show and also have some questions I would like to ask, including some other things others have brought up too. I have contacted the QI Quibble Blog about some of these but I've yet to get a reply, and posted messages elsewhere on the forum, but I thought it was probably best to create a seperate topic covering them. Here they are:

1) Pam's score was not mentioned on the show. Does anyone behind the scenes know what the score was?

2) In the QI XL repeat, Stephen said that Johnny looked like the pigeon from the Wacky Races. Stephen seems to have confused the Wacky Races (without a pigeon) with Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines, which had the theme "Stop the pigeon!" which Stephen and Sean did reference, but they did not name the series.

3) The longest time a flying fish has "flown" is 45 seconds, as I have reported on the QI News. However, it should be pointed out that this did not become known until the day after the show was recorded, so QI is not really at fault.

Dr. Know
482657.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote

Didn't they say the world record for a parachute jump was something like 18 miles up?

But I'm sure they said on a previous show Joe Kittinger (sp) jumped from a hot air balloon at 62 miles vertical.

Flash
482662.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote

1) Sorry, no - Stephen didn't read it out and no-one kept a record as far as I know. I apologise to the completists amongst you as I know it'll gum up your tables & averages & what-not.

2) That sounds right.

3) Well spotted - that is exactly what happened.

Flash
482664.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote

Kittinger's jump is still the record, I think, but we nearly did have a flying-fish-style event in which somebody tried to beat that record after we recorded but before we transmitted. The attempt failed, and I confess to having mixed feelings about that.

Davini994
482684.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:04 am Reply with quote

So the is the parachute jump 62 miles or 18?

Minerva wrote:
Stephen
Yes . . . it's actually only 62 miles to outer space.

Jeremy
No, it isn't.

Stephen
Straight up.

Jeremy
[shaking head] No, it isn't.

Stephen
Oh, okay.

Rich
Wouldn't it depend on the traffic?

Jeremy
62 miles--

Stephen
Yeah.

Jeremy
--is what you're saying is outer space? Did you know there was a man called Joe Kittenger who once jumped out of a hot air balloon at that height in 1961?

Ian Dunn
482686.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Kittinger's jump is still the record, I think, but we nearly did have a flying-fish-style event in which somebody tried to beat that record after we recorded but before we transmitted. The attempt failed, and I confess to having mixed feelings about that.

Yes, it was on the news. I remember it because the balloon flew away before the man got into it.

Davini994
482692.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote

"A 4 foot man with pointy ears, dressed all in green with a red hat, was seen running from the scene".

Dr. Know
482753.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote

So...was I right?
Do I get a medal? or perhaps a trophy? :P

Or was I wrong? and do I get kicked for thinking otherwise?

Ian Dunn
482754.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote

I've just remembered something else that may well need correcting. Stephen says that the world's highest parachute jump was at 32,000 metres, and that this is roughly equal to 18 miles. In fact, I think it is equal to 19.88 miles, so 20 miles is more nearer the mark.

DJ One Record
482764.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
1) Sorry, no - Stephen didn't read it out and no-one kept a record as far as I know. I apologise to the completists amongst you as I know it'll gum up your tables & averages & what-not.

Oh no! It's turning into Mock The Week!

"At the end of that round, the points go to Pam, Johnny and Alaaaaaannnnn..."

djgordy
482853.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:

Well, that's just typical isn't it? This has come too soon after the infamous non-broadcast of the Russell Brand Buzzcocks episode. I have been collecting and collating the scores on comedy panel game shows for over 20 years and now, within the space of a few months, my efforts seem worthless. I'm going back to gricing and twitching.

Davini994
482889.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote

I think we should cancel the results, and get them back in for a replay. It's simply not good enough.

Flash
482944.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote

8. She got 8 points. I just remembered.

Ian Dunn
483011.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
8. She got 8 points. I just remembered.

Great! Thanks Flash.

dr.bob
483611.  Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
So the is the parachute jump 62 miles or 18?

According to wiki, the parachute jump was from a height of 31,300 m, which works out at 19.4 miles. So clearly Clarkson was talking utter balls (who'd've thought!)

Ian Dunn wrote:
I've just remembered something else that may well need correcting. Stephen says that the world's highest parachute jump was at 32,000 metres, and that this is roughly equal to 18 miles. In fact, I think it is equal to 19.88 miles, so 20 miles is more nearer the mark.

I think when Stephen says "it was 32,000 metres, which is something . . . Oh, 18 miles up? Something like that?" then people should realise that his conversion may not be 100% accurate. I don't think there'll be enough time left before the heat death of the universe to go around correcting every tiny little mistake on the show.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next