View previous topic | View next topic

It's the annual rather than the show but about form...

Page 1 of 1

Sebastian flyte
478095.  Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote

I love the words on form to describe the shape of things and have been trying to work some of the reasoning behind and etymology of them out. Ooidal (for egg shaped) is mad isn't it you just automatically think Ovoid and could get mixed up with sheep shape or oviform? (could just be me) Ooidal comes from the Greek but there is also Ovoid from the Latin, it seems that Ooidal is used when describing an egg shaped head or skull in anthropology(possibly dodgy anthropology too..) and it is used in geology too (OED) Oolite describes things resembling fish roe.. you lot probably know all this already but I will be spending many an evening with the OED over these.

Do all forms have Greek and Latin versions like the Gods do?

I simply love furcular for fork shaped.

When do we get to describe something other than a wolf (for example) as Lupiform? :) I suppose a pug isn't and German Shepard is a bit...?

thank you F annual... you libriform wonder you..[/i]

Celebaelin
478107.  Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote

There's a chance of a fairly risible werewolf scenario - "I was hoping to get out of here before the bad guys had their next lupiform episode..."

Sebastian flyte
478115.  Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote

Well it works... :) Furcular makes me think of 'evil Count Furcular' sort of a vampire who is also a fork.... (which frankly doesn't work) Tim and I came up with the rather silly; Uvelloid arsehole draught excluders.. for piles (bunch of grapes shaped)

Sebastian flyte
478124.  Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote

I can't find Strigiform in the OED..... its something about screech owls in Greek though..umm.. or Latin even.... (silly me) from strix according to Collins. This is the first time in my life I have been unable to find something in the OED... I think it is the order of birds which is owls rather than owl shaped but I'm probably wrong as they would all be owl shaped being owls.....

samivel
478195.  Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote

The order of birds comprising the owls is called Strigiforme if that makes any difference.

Sebastian flyte
478911.  Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote

Thank you Samivel :)

JumpingJack
483166.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:46 pm Reply with quote

This was my research.

As you say, Sebastian, it isn't in the OED, either the 1933 0r the 1989 editions.

However, it is in the Random House Dictionary (2009):

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/strigiform

and also in the 1997 edition:

http://dictionary.infoplease.com/strigiform

Sebastian flyte
483171.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Random House Dictionary? (I'll be looking that up) I wasn't disputing as such anyway.. Found that bit really interesting . :)

zomgmouse
483263.  Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote

If werewolf is lupiform then what is lycanthropic?

Celebaelin
483330.  Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote

Lupiform refers specifically to shape rather than the condition of being a werewolf. Werewolves are lycanthropes even when they are in human form but when the transform to a wolf they become lupiform.

zomgmouse
483340.  Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote

OK thank you. That does make sense form e now.

Southpaw
483388.  Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Oolite describes things resembling fish roe

Oolite is a form of limestone that does indeed look like it's made of fish roe, albeit with tiny eggs.

Page 1 of 1