View previous topic | View next topic

Can I Trust You ... ?

Page 1 of 1

tafkaj
471069.  Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote

I got a QI Annual this year ...

"Great!" I thought, "I can learn stuff and pass myself off as a polymath ...

Then I saw, on the inside front cover, a claim that the very first known person in human history was/is Akhenaten (or Amenhotep IV), father of Tutankhamun, husband of Nefertiti. Akhenaten died around 1334 BC. Yet the Sumerian priestess of Inanna, Enheduanna, died around 2250 BC: I mention her because she is the first person who can be identified as an author (of hymns to Inanna), but she in turn was daughter of King Sargon the Great who is known to have reigned in Akkad from around 2270 BC (though he died after his daughter, in around 2215 BC).

Can I ever trust the QI team again ... ?

nostradamus
471083.  Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote

Honestly, trust me I'm a liar.

tafkaj
471716.  Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote

Aha - that explains everything ... !

My head now hurts - what a way to start 2009!

Isabel
472553.  Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote

You can trust me. I am almost like a doctor.

Sadurian Mike
472557.  Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote

Even I don't trust me.

Celebaelin
473432.  Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote

Not the first person known of but the first person known. I think it's a comment about his founding of the monotheistic religion, thus enabling us to know his thoughts.

Sebastian flyte
473455.  Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Even I don't trust me.

As long as your children love you dear.....

tafkaj
474035.  Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Not the first person known of but the first person known. I think it's a comment about his founding of the monotheistic religion, thus enabling us to know his thoughts.

Ooooooo ... ! That's about the most tenuous justification possible, Celeb! (but a nice try ... ;-) )

In any case, it could equally be argued that Enheduanna, as priestess of - and the author of the Hymns to - the Goddess Inanna, has also revealed her thoughts to history through religious preference.

FingersLily
481076.  Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote

There is another reason to mistrust the QI Annual.

It mentions the infamous Ian Rush 'quote' that he could not settle in Italy because it was like 'living in a foreign country'.

However, this quote is a tired old urban myth. He did not actually say this and it has never been found on a video or tape interview.

Ian Rush himself explains that the quote was made up by one of his team-mates as a joke and a lazy journalist printed it as coming from the great man himself.

It looks like there are more lazy journalists working in the QI office!

Page 1 of 1