View previous topic | View next topic

missing first post/duplicate second page

Page 1 of 1

TheElephant
461324.  Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote

I'm just wondering if it's a problem on my laptop, or if it's this forum.

Quite often the first post of a thread here seems to be missing, possiblt more thab one. Most of the time, the thread is easy to follow anyway, like with this one:

http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=14023&start=14&sid=ddeb99a5d5054450c0888debcca9fc83

where the first poat is by Sadurian Mike, even though it says in the General Banter list of threads, that fifi was the original poster.

I generally use firefox, but have just tried the same thread in ie, without logging in, and the same seemed to happen.

Quite often if there are only a couple of pages in a topic, the second page will be the same, or virtually the same as the first, with only a post or two difference.

Sadurian Mike
461329.  Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote

The forum tends to present you with the entire last page when you open a thread; if the thread is a page-and-a-half long then the first half page will be lying in a cyber-limbo. On that particular thread I happen to have the first post on the last page.

Do not be fooled by it telling you that it is page 1. It lies. Hit the "Next" button and then the "Previous", and you will be at the start of the thread where Fifi is at her proper place at the head.

zomgmouse
461348.  Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:31 am Reply with quote

I think this also happens if you click the thead title rather than just the page number. I tend to click on the 1 beneath the thread to go to the very start. I'm not sure if you already know this but what you're describing is very similar to what happens if you just click on the thread and not directly the page.

Jenny
461354.  Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:52 am Reply with quote

If you change the start number in the top bar to 0, that will also take you to the actual start of the thread.

TheElephant
462024.  Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Going on that thread I used as an example, I must have missed loads of stuff.

Yokozuna
1205558.  Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:08 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
If you change the start number in the top bar to 0, that will also take you to the actual start of the thread.

If you give us the option to select our preferred display chronology on the Profile page, as supported by phpBB, this problem will vanish.

Jenny
1205785.  Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote

Yokozuna wrote:
Jenny wrote:

If you give us the option to select our preferred display chronology on the Profile page, as supported by phpBB, this problem will vanish.

I think this forum is run on ramshackle rickety software, lovingly kept going by dr.bob, our technical elf, who does it in his spare time. The rest of the QI website has much snazzier stuff running it I think.

Page 1 of 1