View previous topic | View next topic

Dutch version of QI

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

The Great Prickly of Pear
472056.  Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote

I thought the second one was better than the first. Although I do object to the idea that only stories will get you points. This time there was this unfunny person who's only joke was being gay.
And do the Dutch researchers do their own research?

The Doctor
472123.  Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote

The Great Prickly of Pear wrote:
This time there was this unfunny person who's only joke was being gay.
and an unnecessarily stereotypical one at that

Agreed on "points for stories only", it gives it a tendency to veer off into a not-so-clever chat show. I do think they do at least some research themselves, although i'm not sure that's always a good thing

472182.  Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what annoyed me the most...

Archie
472622.  Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what annoyed me the most...

I didn't know Julian Clary spoke Dutch.

Sadurian Mike
472623.  Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote

I'm rather glad that I don't, having read your comments here. It sounds like it is a bit of a disappointment.

The Doctor
473005.  Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote

oh, no, it's not so bad really, they just need to grow into it a bit more, and sometimes some particular guests just don't meet your (or most) tastes (much like Johnny Vegas)
My interpretation of of the research thing is undoubtedly somewhat coloured by having seen the original one all these years, lots of thing which "I could've told 'em that!"

grizzly
473230.  Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote

I'm wary of saying that they do their own research just because some of their questions haven't been on QI before. QI has a whole stock of questions that have been written either for rehearsal purposes or that made it to the recording but not the broadcast which they could choose from. Most of it would be stuff that you wouldn't be familiar with but that doesn't mean that they are doing their own research. The only way to find out would be for someone working on the show or someone involved in the contract negotiations to come forward and say what they have access to from QI's own research. For what I presume are obvious reasons, that information might not be forth coming.

As a side note, review number 2 has now arrived at the QI blog courtesy of Peti.

479457.  Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote

I liked how they opened they're fans this time. And when Thomas van Luyn opened it rather professionally, he was described as "the most unlikely man to be straight". :D
Actually, I've practised opening a fan in one go for hours...

Douchegordijn
482351.  Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
I'm wary of saying that they do their own research just because some of their questions haven't been on QI before. QI has a whole stock of questions that have been written either for rehearsal purposes or that made it to the recording but not the broadcast which they could choose from. Most of it would be stuff that you wouldn't be familiar with but that doesn't mean that they are doing their own research. The only way to find out would be for someone working on the show or someone involved in the contract negotiations to come forward and say what they have access to from QI's own research. For what I presume are obvious reasons, that information might not be forth coming.

Quite a lot of the questions are somehow related to the netherlands or dutch history. Furthermore, a number of people are credited as researches in the credits. I do think they do a lot of their own research.

483559.  Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote

Douchegordijn wrote:
grizzly wrote:

Quite a lot of the questions are somehow related to the netherlands or dutch history. Furthermore, a number of people are credited as researches in the credits. I do think they do a lot of their own research.

Well not in the first three episodes. I think they didn't really do any reasearch. Especially literially translating the kiss of life was a bit of a blunder. The Dutch translation has absolutely nothing to do with kissing.. Maybe they're not reseachers but merely translators. Or they searched the database of the existing questions. Hence the re-searching.
But I must say in the latest episode they do seem to have researched a bit, the question about the "plaggenhutten" seemed Dutch...
Edit: Does sound a bit harsh... Sorry
Oh and I liked Wim Helsen :)

Belgian Billy
488935.  Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote

Ronald Goedemondt, Diederik van Vleuten and Claudia de Breij are nice guests. I'd like to see some of the older comedians like Herman Finkers or Freek de Jonge on a next series.

As for the belgian guest: Wim Helsen is an excellent choice for the show (I can't really think of anyone else that would suit the format, except for some older radio-figures mostly unknown to the dutch)

Did anyone see his show "Het programma van Wim Helsen" on the Belgian public broadcasting? To my opinion that was the most groundbreaking tv-show of 2008!

495508.  Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote

Ooooh yes, it was a brilliant programme :D
Wim Helsen is really good :)

I noticed that on the Dutch QI there is always only five minutes of General Ignorance. It's really strange. But then as the themes are pretty broad, they don't need much other questions...
Anyway QI is a show that just can't fail :) It's a brilliant format and even the Dutch version has it's moments. At least it's better than all the other Dutch comedy and I do think it's also funnier than the Dutch version of "Have I got news for you?".
It's just a shame they don't have much new questions.

JumpingJack
504605.  Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote

Menocchio and I gave a talk about QI at the University of Groningen last week, so we had plenty of opportunity to talk to the locals about how the Dutch version is going down.

On the whole, the comments were very similar to those of The Great P of P in her review (link above).

The show isn't thought to be as interesting or as funny as the original - at least, not quite or not yet.

We also met with Gerke, the Dutch producer, and Arthur Japin, the host, in Amsterdam. They are both very bright and very nice guys, and I am sure the show will only get better as they gain in experience.

After all, we did...

Part of the problem for them is that they started on the main channel which means they were under pressure straight away. They are now waiting nervously to see if they'll get a second series.

As for the research issue, Gerke tells me that about 60 per cent of the questions are researched by his own team.

Interestingly, having rejected the Alphabetical format of each series, they're now toying with reinstating it...

510724.  Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote

I do hope there's going to be a next series. After all it is QI and it would be a shame to miss it. It didn't score really badly though, a viewer rating of about 1/2 million per episode. Let's hope the "netco÷rdinators" do something sensible at last and let us have at least some non-christian or populistic and actually interesting entertainment on telly.
[ranting + moaning Dutchwoman]
Doshe bloddy netco÷rdinators dont efen know quality vhen shits on their face. *pah*
[/ end ranting + moaning Dutchwoman]

14-11-2014
1144595.  Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote

I think Arthur Japin did really well for a first time presenter.

FWIW, Maarten van Rossem would have been a better match in a country without a culture of polite, interesting stories. Nowadays Van Rossem is the jury of The Smartest, De Slimste (Mens (Ter Wereld)), a rather successful Flemish combination of comedy and a quiz. As such he isn't better and he may not be the best candidate, but it's a better match.

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next