View previous topic | View next topic

Dutch version of QI

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sadurian Mike
458768.  Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
I'm sure that can find its way into the "Girls" show of the G series...

I have the perfect soundtrack.

petipetra
459510.  Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote

There's now a short message on the QI blog as well...

http://qitalk.blogspot.com/2008/12/dutch-qi.html

Douchegordijn
460307.  Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Good afternoon, long time-reader, first time-poster and member of the audience present at the recording of the pilot-episode of the dutch Q.I reporting.

At first I was very sceptical about a dutch version of the programme, as there is no one who can replace Fry and generally speaking dutch panel shows are almost always a failure. I was therefore very surprised by the programme, as it was quite good.

The panel members were very funny and witty and though Arthur Japin ain't no Fry and no tv-presenter in general (he had some troubles with the prompter) he was capable enough not to be too annoying.

@BFG: From what I've seen the format is identical to the British version. They were of course trying to be funny a lot of the time, but that's what they're hired for. And more importantly: they succeeded a lot of the time. Most of the questions were directly lifted from the british version, altough they did came up with a couple of typically Dutch questions (Dutch history, literature, etc.).

The pilot panel members were Sara Kroos (who was very funny, despite what you would expect), Diederik van Vleuten (who was rubbish at answering the questions, but quite amusing), Ronald Goedemondt (who was a bit quiet but very funny when he did spoke) and of course Thomas van Luyn (who interrupted the recording because he had to go to the toilet very urgently. The theme of the programme was 'water'). They will not be airing this pilot though. It was purely intended for pitching.

In his interview in 'De Wereld Draait Door', Japin announced that there were plans to feature Stephen Fry as a panel member in the second season. He apparently speaks a little Dutch, picked up from his role in the Dutch film 'The Discovery of Heaven'. Sounds exciting, altough I doubt if his Dutch is that good actually.

Anyway, altough the VARA-version will be different from the BBC-version (different countries, different cultures and different sense of humour), it is definitely a project to keep an eye on.

Jenny
460338.  Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Douchegordijn :-)

Who is going to take Alan Davies' role in the Dutch version?

grizzly
460351.  Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote

Hmmm, it would seem that at the first attempt I posted this on the wrong thread.

If anyone's interested in writing a review of the show on the QI Blog would you mind sending me a pm? I think our readers would be interested in knowing how it does and how it compares with the original version.

Douchegordijn
460428.  Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:38 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Welcome Douchegordijn :-)

Who is going to take Alan Davies' role in the Dutch version?

The Dutch Davies is Thomas van Luyn, a comedian mostly known for his part in the dutch comedy duo 'Mike & Thomas' (a funny and partly understandable for non-dutchies sketch they did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdHxprho6Pk , Thomas is the bald one).

Altough he is very funny and talented, there wasn't the same chemistry between Arthur Japin & him as there is between Alan Davies and Stephen Fry. This is partly because Japin isn't as smart and witty as Stephen Fry and because Thomas van Luyn actually is quite smart and not as gullible as Alan Davies. I hope they don't try to force that chemistry in, because the show doesn't really need it to be interesting and it would just feel.. well... forced. ;-)

petipetra
460484.  Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote

Douchegordijn wrote:
In his interview in 'De Wereld Draait Door', Japin announced that there were plans to feature Stephen Fry as a panel member in the second season. He apparently speaks a little Dutch, picked up from his role in the Dutch film 'The Discovery of Heaven'. Sounds exciting, altough I doubt if his Dutch is that good actually.

I saw that too, and I must say that I doubt that Fry will do it... For one, the film is in English, so that would hardly help his language skills much. He speaks some Dutch in the QI pilot, and well... it's bad.
I would love to see him do an episode, though :)

Ian Dunn
460767.  Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote

The news of the Dutch version is now on Chortle.

The Great Prickly of Pear
461193.  Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote

Oh I hope it's gonna be good, although I do have my doubts. Because I don't actually think Thomas van Luyn is that funny.
It's didn't look at all funny in the bits they showed and well not that smooth. But then there was the unfunny Freek de Jonge in the studio of "De wereld draait door" and it was one of the first recordings.
Oh well let's give it a chance. I can always watch a the new BBC ones :D :D :D :D :D :D.
And er grizzly are you still looking for someone?

petipetra
461570.  Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:

They didn't do their research...
Quote:
Some Dutch viewers will have already seen the original, as the BBC signal can be picked up near the Channel coast.

That's just nonsense, the BBC is on the cable... Has nothing to do with being near the Channel coast.

petipetra
461572.  Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote

The Great Prickly of Pear wrote:
Because I don't actually think Thomas van Luyn is that funny.

:o have you seen the Mike & Thomas Show?

The Great Prickly of Pear
462979.  Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote

er yes I have, actually...

grizzly
464088.  Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote

petipetra wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:

They didn't do their research...
Quote:
Some Dutch viewers will have already seen the original, as the BBC signal can be picked up near the Channel coast.

That's just nonsense, the BBC is on the cable... Has nothing to do with being near the Channel coast.

That's cos they've lifted the story from my blog and I made that mistake :-P

The Doctor
464094.  Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote

petipetra wrote:
The Great Prickly of Pear wrote:
Because I don't actually think Thomas van Luyn is that funny.

:o have you seen the Mike & Thomas Show?

isn't that the one that looks like a poor ripoff of Shooting Stars, also not a very funny show?

MinervaMoon
464106.  Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
That's cos they've lifted the story from my blog and I made that mistake :-P

Excuse me, off to post a "news story" to your blog to see what can make it to Chortle. So, did anyone hear that Jonathan Ross might be taking over as host of QI?

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next