View previous topic | View next topic

Dutch version of QI

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sadurian Mike
458087.  Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
petipetra's translation of a Dutch blog wrote:
QI is one of the most joyous things to watch since the naked lady was invented.

Calling all Elves and Wranglers.

If you can get Stephen to say that, I'll go on the show and let the viewers decide which of the two they prefer ...

Fingers crossed ...

Holy cow!

How much does he want to say it? I'll start the collection myself!

petipetra
458191.  Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote

I've just watched the repeat of De Wereld Draait Door, with an interview with Arthur Japin, the host. Some of the talking points:

The VARA asked Japin as host. He didn't think it was brave, but mostly just good fun.
A clip of QI (the original), with the question about Andy Warhol's underpants.
Some examples of questions in the Dutch version:
- what can earwax be used for?
- why don't pigeons watch movies?
- why do popes regularly eat beaver?
- people in sushi bars think about their mothers, caused by of one of the senses. which? (taste: umami. it's in sushi and in mother's milk)
Fry has bought the film rights for "Een schitterend gebrek" (translated as "In Lucia's Eyes"), Japin's book.

Gluben
458283.  Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

If you can get Stephen to say that, I'll go on the show and let the viewers decide which of the two they prefer ...

Fingers crossed ...

I think we know which one Stephen prefers...

BFG
458408.  Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote

One thing i hoped would never happen was a Dutch version of QI, especially after the painfully unfunny Dutch renditions of Whos Line is it Anyway (de Llama's) and Never Mind the Buzzcocks (Doe Maar Normaal). Still... when i heard that Arthur Japin would be the host, the whole thing suddenly took a turn to the interesting. Japin seems like a man who, while being no Stephen Fry (there is only one Fry and that Fry is Fry ;-), he seems intelligent and witty enough to at least make such a program watchable and smart enough not to make the mistake of trying to impersonate Stephen Fry.

The thing that bugs me about the project now is that it seems that the original concept has been altered.

Q.I. has always been about showing that absolutely everything can be interesting and about sharing all the wonderfull things in this world that we never even thought about but were right under our noses. The thoughts and answers of the guests provide us with funny insights and asides about the subjects of the questions. Well the QI site explains it better than i ever could.

The more i read -the official press releases and various descriptions from various places- and see -the TV interview of last monday- about the Dutch version the more it seems that the concept is that a question is asked to which the candidates must concoct the most bizarre and funny answer they can and points are given for being funny and bizarre rather than saying anything truly interesting about the subject. The underlying philosophy of the original QI is never mentioned.

Its usually great fun when a pannelist who does not know the the answer to a question decides to just say the most bizarre thing he/she can think of, but it is just one of the many many many ways in which the original game can develop. To make it the main subject of a panel show may result in a situation where the pannelist has to force himself to be funny at all costs, resulting in him/her sounding forced and unfunny.

Well the addition of Thomas van Luin sounds interesting enough and so does the decision to only select pannelists from a small group of comedians. It can still be quite funny but it probably won't be QI.

(woa! long post. I guess i had to make up for being inactive on the forum for such a long time)

Ian Dunn
458446.  Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote

I think that this is the official homepage for the Dutch version. Can someone translate it.

http://omroep.vara.nl/Q-I.1643.0.html

MinervaMoon
458519.  Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Fingers crossed ...

I saw that.

I volunteer too.

petipetra
458589.  Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
I think that this is the official homepage for the Dutch version. Can someone translate it.

http://omroep.vara.nl/Q-I.1643.0.html

Quote:
Soon the recordings of QI will commence, a brand new comedy science quiz, based on the enormously popular BBC programme with the same name. QI will here be hosted by the most important author of this moment, Arthur Japin, with his buddy Thomas van Luyn.

Every week, they are joined by three of the best comedians of the Netherlands, making a hilarious journey through science together.

QI is a (general) knowledge based quiz, but it has a striking feature: the panellists (the comedians) get the assignment to always answer the questions as interestingly as possible. An absurd anecdote might get them more points than just a correct answer.

The rest of it is just about the recordings.

Davini994
458635.  Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote

It sounds very similar from that. If they are going to use facts and stats from previous English series, couldn't the panelists just, you know, watch the English ones for all the answers?

Or is it going to be a recorded at the same time sort of thing?

djgordy
458636.  Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote

petipetra wrote:
three of the best comedians of the Netherlands,

Ten top reasons for being Dutch.

1. You can get arrested for growing plants, but not for smoking them.
2. You can make jokes about the Belgians and still drink their beer.
3.a. You can legally kill yourself
3.b. You can legally be killed
4. You’re exactly like the Germans, except that nobody hates you.
5. You think you are a world power, but everyone else thinks Copenhagen is your capital…
6. You get to insult people and defend yourself by saying it’s a national tradition.
7. You can put your finger in a dyke and it will save your country
8. You live in the most densely populated country in Europe, and still you’ve never seen your neighbours.
9. If the economy is bad, blame the Germans. If a war is started, blame the Germans. If you lose your keys, blame the Germans.
10.Bikes are public property. Locks are a challenge.

petipetra
458661.  Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote

petipetra
458662.  Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
It sounds very similar from that. If they are going to use facts and stats from previous English series, couldn't the panelists just, you know, watch the English ones for all the answers?

Or is it going to be a recorded at the same time sort of thing?

Well, since 6 series of the original programme have been recorded, and they've just started with the Dutch one, it probably won't be at the same time ;) So I suppose they could just watch the Fry version for the answers...

Davini994
458673.  Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote

I thought that maybe they'd start with the G series.

I'm not sure I like the sound of "Fry version" very much!

Mushroomoid Miss
458685.  Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote

Sebastian flyte wrote:
Could anyone beat Stephen?

NO

eggshaped
458696.  Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure that can find its way into the "Girls" show of the G series...

petipetra
458712.  Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
I'm not sure I like the sound of "Fry version" very much!

Well... call it what you want, you know what I meant ;)

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next