View previous topic | View next topic

Gosset and gin, or a guide to 'grinking grinkies'...

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sebastian flyte
453008.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:00 am Reply with quote

The Gosset house have been making wine in Champagne since the 16th century. They are now the oldest traditional champagne house still in production although Ruinart are believed to have been the first champagne house but are now owned by LMVH who use their own production methods. Gosset (founded by Pierre Gosset in 1584) originally made still chardonnay and pinot noir table wine. They are now owned by Cointreau who still retain the production methods used for 4 centuries.

http://www.champagne-gosset.com/

Sebastian flyte
453016.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote

There are lots of G drinks, drinkswap.com has this page of delights: http://www.drinkswap.com/browse-drinks/index.asp?letter=G Goofy juice, gonad and Gorillas tit are all fun sounding drinkies and there is of course gin. Gin is my favourite tipple.

Please feel free to join in before I grink all the grinkies on my own and start an essay on gin. (grinkies by the way other than beginning with g is actually how I say it when I have had a few, because the amount of effort it takes to pronounce the word drink with a 'D' makes me sound like Nickolas Grace doing Anthony Blanche, doing as in acting not as in..)

suze
453106.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote

Sebastian flyte wrote:
Goofy juice, gonad and Gorillas tit are all fun sounding drinkies

Goofy juice actually sounds rather lethal. The main ingredients are 7-Up (although I'm sure English fizzy lemonade - not a thing that's readily available in the USA - would do just as well), and Everclear, which is a grain spirit that comes in at 95% alcohol and is illegal in large parts of North America. I don't think Everclear is available in the UK; Polish Pure Spirit is probably about the closest equivalent you can get. Drink with extreme caution!

Gonad just sounds revolting, I'm afraid - I'm not partial to any of the three ingredients.

Gorilla's Tit sounds OK though. I don't think you can get Yukon Jack over here, so Drambuie is probably about the nearest you'll get.

Seb wrote:
Gin is my favourite tipple.

And one of mine. In fact a G&T would be very acceptable right now; I shall investigate whether we have the necessary ingredients in the house.

Sebastian flyte
453109.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote

If not in the house they have these pub things.. Everclear might be legal in the UK but the sort of thing you might have to ask them to get in? Still there are always holidays..... :) *sips vimto* Selfridges does a madly strong vodka looking thing that is about 95% proof I think.

Sebastian flyte
453110.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote

I want a gay mountie.. *titter*

Actually 'Gin and sin' sounds so nice I might have to go and make some. As I have homework my study of gin in written form will have to wait.

suze
453123.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote

They do have these pub things Seb, but we rarely go to them during the week. And in any case the one we go to is around a twenty minute walk, so "dropping in for one before dinner" isn't really practical.

But in good news, both gin and Indian tonic water were to be found in the cabinet, so I now have a G&T in front of me.

The hyperstrong Polish stuff can certainly be obtained by mail order, but you don't often see it in bottle stores. In Poland it's called Spirytus Rektyfikowany and is readily available, although you need a special license to bring it out of the country. (Officially; like many things in Poland, a payment to the customs officer might work as an alternative.)

bobwilson
453339.  Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Gonad just sounds revolting, I'm afraid - I'm not partial to any of the three ingredients.

you cannot leave it that vague suze

Sebastian flyte
453619.  Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote

One of my favourite things about gin is this 'the unusual times'. It seems fitting to me because 'gin' is my 'beer' and while my beery friends are having a few 'bevvies' I'm often having a little 'snifter'. You feel a bit set apart with gin people think it makes you miserable when to be honest it makes them miserable. It isn't exactly health giving but I do like gin. In some nasty pubs though I cannot drink gin or vodka for that matter as it is too obvious that the alcohol is cleaning the glass as you drink and you see that scum forming that was once washing residue. I've always assumed it was that otherwise someone keeps spiking my drinks!!. Mickey Finn rhymes with gin.
Drinking gin is a bit like smoking a pipe. People stare and think coo that smells but is slightly appealing.. anyway some gin facts..

Gin originated in the Netherlands in the 17th century.

It was medicinal and used to treat kidney ailments, lumbago, stomach ailments, gallstones, and gout.

the gin craze led to riots http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_Craze

and bathtub gin was used in speakeasies in America during the prohibition

The recipe for Gordon's is known to only 12 people in the world and has been kept a secret for 200 years (according to wiki)

Gilbert and George (both very G) made a short film called 'Gordon's makes us drink'
still

Sebastian flyte
453623.  Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote

Bathtub Gin

Bathtub gin wasn't made in the bath though, but the bottle which it was made in would be topped up with water and it was too bit to fit under the tap in the sink so into the bath it went, and was filled with bath water yum yum yum.

Sebastian flyte
453627.  Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote

Cuckold's Comfort, Ladies Delight and Knock Me Down where all popular bootleg names for gin as well as mothers ruin of course, people where reportedly selling children into prostitution to buy gin.

Hogarth's gin lane
shows a mother with ulcerated legs and her baby is falling down unnoticed here

Sebastian flyte
453643.  Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote

Biblical Gin

In the bible references to gin mean a trap, even so
Isaiah 8:14 is still funny..
Quote:
And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.

*hic..*
;)

suze
453666.  Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote

Good work there Seb! I'm not so sure and Gin & Sin though - pomegranate syrup is a bit sickly for my liking!

bobwilson wrote:
you cannot leave it that vague suze

A Gonad, bob, comprises Peppermint Schnapps, Creme de Menthe, and Cherry Brandy. I shall thus pass on it, if it's all the same to you.

Sebastian flyte
453690.  Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote

We should invent the 'Gonad bob' too and put a little cherry in it and drink it on an ice slalom the liquid if it doesn't melt the ice would follow the little carved track carrying the cherry to our mouth... :)

(actually that sounds off putting now..)

Sebastian flyte
454748.  Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote

Grand Marnier

Is a tripe sec liqueur blended from cognacs and distilled bitter orange (citrus bigaradia). It's 40% alcohol (80% proof) it is used quite extensively in French cooking. It's name was chosen by Cesar Ritz (the hotel guy) it had originally been 'Curacao Marnier' it was invented by Louis Alexandre Marnier Lapostolle who helped Ritz acquire the space on Place Vendome for his hotel.

lots of cocktails have it in including the grand cosmopolitan (which I like a lot)

Efros
454778.  Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:49 am Reply with quote

tripe sec, oooerr sounds disgusting. If you want orangey try Mandarine Napoleon,

A generous amount in glasses of champagne is a very good way to get hammered

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next