View previous topic | View next topic

Geography and our Global community

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

CB27
462929.  Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote

Hmm, that's annoying, I thought I was onto a good 'un there :)

Ian Dunn
470895.  Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote

If I may, I would like to pop up a QI question concerning the geography on Britain - in particular, my hometown.

Quote:
Q: In which county is the borough of Stockton-on-Tees in?
K: County Durham; North Yorkshire; Yorkshire; Northumberland; Cleveland; Teesside
A: None; BOTH County Durham and North Yorkshire

The traditional boundary between North Yorkshire and County Durham is the River Tees. The town of Stockton-on-Tees is County Durham. However, the borough of Stockton-on-Tees is on both sides of the river because it includes towns such as Thornaby and Yarm. Therefore, in terms of ceremonial counties, Stockton is in both counties.

Stockton used to be part of the shire county of Cleveland (sometimes known as "Teesside" and the words were interchangeable). However, Cleveland was abolished in 1996. As a result, the four boroughs of Cleveland (Stockton, Middlesbrough, Hartlepool and Langbaurgh-on-Tees - which became the single borough of Redcar and Cleveland) were made "Unitary authority areas", which are areas which function independently of county or other regional administration. The area once known as Cleveland is now generally referred to as Tees Valley. This means that Stockton-on-Tees is in no county.

Therefore, the answer is either both or neither - it is only one of them in terms of the town, not the county.

One last thing - Teesside is always spelt with two "S's" and not one.

samivel
470901.  Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:16 am Reply with quote

People from Middlesbrough must get sick of correcting spelling mistakes, as both the town ("Middlesborough") and the surrounding region ("Tees(s)ide") are among the most misspelled topographical appellations in the country.

Ian Dunn
470909.  Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:31 am Reply with quote

Indeed, as if the high crime rate, the poor quality of health, the amount of pollution and the somewhat mediocare performance of our football club weren't bad enough.

samivel
470912.  Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:39 am Reply with quote

Ah well, you've got that nice bridge.

misterchris
470931.  Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote

Ah - remembering my time at Teesside University.

Approximately 8 years ago I returned from the Christmas break to find that my student house had been broken into and completely cleaned out - they had even unscrewed the mirrors from the wall. All that remained was my housemates duvet and a saucepan.

Davini994
471289.  Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote

Well at least you didn't go cold or hungry then.

(I'm hoping 8 years isn't too soon.)

Frances
476098.  Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote

nitwit02 wrote:
When I was at school in the UK, there were ink wells on every desk ......

And only the most relieble pupils were allowed to be ink monitors, and go round with the big bottle to refill the inkwell. It was a huge step up from being a door, window, milk or blackboard monitor; when you were made ink monitor you had really arrived!

nitwit02
477743.  Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote

Good gawd - you are psychic - I was an ink monitor!

Sadurian Mike
478394.  Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote

I was pencil monitor. And milk monitor, and a litter monitor.

Ian Dunn
485574.  Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote

I've just found something else quite interesting about Teesside which I read in the local paper. In 2006, the Evening Gazette claimed that the people of Middlesbrough had cleaner air than the Queen in Windsor.

Yesterday, it was reported that new equipment would be given to improve monitoring air quality.

Story from the Evening Gazette

Planky
506400.  Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote

Q. How many continents are there in the world?

Klaxon for: 7

While 7 is the figure we are given in most western societies; geographers prefer the answer 6!!!

They are as follows:
Africa
Antarctica
Austalasia/Australia/Oceania
Eurasia (Asia and Europe combined)
North America
South America

Indeed there are many other definitions from other cultures such as latin American Countries that teach North and South America as one continent. Certain groups claim Antarctica isn't a continent as there are no people there, and others who claim Afrasia (Africa and Eurasia) as one continent.

Indeed if India is a sub-continent (due to being cut off from mainland Asia by Himalaya mountains, and its separate cultural identity) then the same argument is true of Europe (Cut off by the caucases) making it a sub-continent.

bobwilson
506411.  Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Antarctica isn't a continent as there are no people there

Yes there are - I've been there and it's positively teeming with research stations.

Moosh
506548.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote

Planky wrote:
Austalasia/Australia/Oceania

I've always wondered why there's so much confusion over the name of that one. I was taught it as Australasia, but what is the offical name for the area? If there is one?

Planky
506861.  Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes there are - I've been there and it's positively teeming with research stations.

LOL! Good point!

Quote:
I've always wondered why there's so much confusion over the name of that one. I was taught it as Australasia, but what is the offical name for the area? If there is one?

I don't know this for certain and I've turned to the reliable resource that is wikipedia... it claims that in a Geologists view, the continent's name is Australia, and includes Tasmania, New Guinea, Australia and a few of the nearby islands (They form one continental shelf and where once one land mass). New Zealand is not part of the continent as it forms it's own continental shelf, the now submerged continent of Zealandia, nor is Micronesia and Polynesia.

Oceania seemingly refers to the whole region, but most of the landmasses aren't large enough to be considered a continent, it is more like a region (or another sub continent?)

Australasia refers to the geological continent of Australia, plus New Zealand

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next