View previous topic | View next topic

Nigeria

Page 1 of 1

misterchris
452961.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote

The Yoruba tribe of Nigeria have the highest twin births in the entire world. The Nigerian people attribute it to their population's consumption of a specific type of yam. Scientists have discovered that these colourful vegetables contain a high level of a substance that is similar to the hormone estrogen, which could bring on multiple ovulation.

The Nigerian film industry, estimated to be turning over $250 million dollars each year, has the inevitable nickname "Nollywood".

bobwilson
468151.  Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote

I just watched "Dragon's Den Around the World" (mostly boring incidentally). The highlight was the Nigerian episode clip where the entrepeneur had allowed for a monthly payment which turned out to be bribes. You couldn't make it up.

suze
468255.  Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote

That show has been on two or three times over the last week - and the various televisual offerings on the evening of Christmas Day were so dire that we watched it then.

If the show was meant to convince us that Nigerian business and Russian business are not solely the province of crooks, it failed.

bobwilson
468258.  Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote

Actually, I think the show was meant to convince us that the Beeb can't make decent tv anymore. The first five minutes (10%) of the programme told us what Dragon's Den was. Then there were endless rehashes of things we'd already seen. Plus "coming up......" - er, the Beeb doesn't have advert breaks. In the entire 50 minutes there was about 10 minutes of actual programme.

bobwilson
468260.  Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
If the show was meant to convince us that Nigerian business and Russian business are not solely the province of crooks, it failed.

Actually, in the case of the Nigerians - it did convince - the investors quickly picked up on the bribes thing, and got quite angry about it.

suze
468262.  Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote

Yea, I did wonder whether the whole thing was made primarily as a trail for the upcoming American version of the show.

There were a lot of clips from the Canadian version of the show, and it's not often that Canadian television is used on clip shows. But y'see, Americans can follow it without subtitles, so it's cheap for the purpose.

Mind you, the Australian dragon with the hair and the shirts seems a bit of a character!

bobwilson wrote:
The investors quickly picked up on the bribes thing, and got quite angry about it.

Angry because it isn't exactly a thing that they want brought up on television. But angry because the practice is alien to Nigerian business? I am unconvinced.

bobwilson
468265.  Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Angry because it isn't exactly a thing that they want brought up on television. But angry because the practice is alien to Nigerian business? I am unconvinced

I thought they were angry because they themselves had achieved their success without bribery - I'm sure one of them said something along the lines of "it's people like you who pay the bribes that make it possible for this bribery to carry on".

So they acknowledged that bribery was a big part of Nigerian practice - but were determined to stamp it out.

Now, if only we could get UK business people to stop this nepotistic practice of sidling up to corrupt politicians.....

bobwilson
468266.  Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote

oh - and btw - happy new year suze

suze
468405.  Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:41 am Reply with quote

Thanks bob!

And yes, that was indeed the gist of what the Nigerian dragons said. But then those guys are hardly likely to go on television and say "Ah yes, bribes - an essential part of a business plan in Nigeria".

If you were constructing a business plan for a company that was to operate solely in the UK and included the same, you'd just be straight out the dragons' door. But by the fuss those Nigerians made about the matter, methinks they do protest too much. Read essays such as this one, and then tell me that it's a thing of the past.

Susannah Dingley
584561.  Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote

In Nigeria, there’s an armed organization called MEND – Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta. It members have been fighting the Nigerian government and oil companies against what they deem to be exploitation and oppression of the people of the Niger Delta.

Nigeria authorities welcome truce
Nigeria’s government has welcomed a 60-day ceasefire declared by the main militant group in the country's oil-rich Niger Delta region.

The military said troops would remain in the region, but would not attack militants from the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND).

MEND, however, said a partial pullout of troops was a condition of the truce.

dr.bob
584647.  Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:34 am Reply with quote

Interesting story on the BBC website about Russia's energy giant Gazprom signing a deal with Nigeria's state operated NNPC, to invest in a new joint venture.

The new company is to be called, I kid you not, "Nigaz"

I eagerly await their first gangsta rap album.

Curious Danny
584673.  Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote

I've actually seen the Gazprom building in St. Petersburg and it is a horrible blot on the landscape, distrubing my view of Aurora (the ship that freed Russia from profiteering bourgeious).

Page 1 of 1