View previous topic | View next topic

Hello from Southern California

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jenny
448443.  Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Lukecash :-)

There are three of us QI fans in Maine, though it is true that two of us are expat Brits.

samivel
448446.  Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote

OK, I can think of four forum members from Maine, so which one of them isn't a QI fan?

;)

Jenny
448447.  Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote

Hmm - well the three I know are me, Efros and AnneB. Who's the other one?

samivel
448449.  Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Erm, your husband...

Jenny
448453.  Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote

Oh Woodsman! He pops in so rarely that I tend not to count him as a poster. Fortunately, he is very unlikely to see this - it feels like cheating to delete it!

Lukecash
448464.  Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote

Well Thank you for your welcomes, children of the cold white north!

Glad to see that I'm not alone!

By chance does Canada television run QI?

suze
448488.  Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote

Sadly it doesn't show there either, but these forums have a few Canadian members as well. (Even if the only ones who are very active at present are me who lives in Kent, England, and nitwit02 who is from Kent but lives in Alberta.)

Now then, Detroit, hmmm. There are deals we could do, but all of them mean that you guys have to take Calgary in exchange. (We'll keep the oil sands, thanks, but Calgary with its rodeos and oilmen in stetsons belongs in Texas, and you're welcome to it.)

When we've done that deal, we'll talk about Maine and Vermont in exchange for the North Pole, and we'll annex Alaska while nobody's looking. (This will occur while Sarah Palin is on a trip down south.)

Lukecash
448496.  Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote

As to the question of Alaska- Following the Election of 08, there is an unwritten clause that forces Sara Palin to stay in Alaska.

However, since we have marked and tagged her, we have to offer her as part of an buy-as-is sort of deal.

And for goodness sakes, be quiet about the Oil Sands of Calgary. Bush still has a few weeks left on his term; he may try to "Liberate" you.

bobwilson
448500.  Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
but these forums have a few Canadian members as well. (Even if the only ones who are very active at present are me ...

this is all very confusing - at various times suze claims to be Canadian, Polish, British - are you going for a record number of citizenships suze? Maybe suze is the UN?

Anyway - welcome aboard oh stranger from the land of good music and weird but strangely alluring ideas.

nitwit02
448519.  Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Lukecash - my southern neighbour.

FYI - no law in Canada forbidding us to have region-free DVD players!

suze
448815.  Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote

And indeed, no law preventing the kind of downloading which would be illegal in just about every other major nation. Although I gather that Mr Harper plans to address that one ...

Oh, and bob, I am indeed both a Canadian national and a Polish national, and have recently applied for British nationality (I meet all the published criteria, although the Secretary of State has absolute discretion). I'll stick at three though - while a reading of the rules leads me to believe that I'd be entitled to Irish nationality as well if I chose to apply, I've never even been there so it doesn't really seem appropriate.

maiden
448958.  Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote

Hello Lukecash

Lukecash
449038.  Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
And indeed, no law preventing the kind of downloading which would be illegal in just about every other major nation. Although I gather that Mr Harper plans to address that one ...

Oh, and bob, I am indeed both a Canadian national and a Polish national, and have recently applied for British nationality (I meet all the published criteria, although the Secretary of State has absolute discretion). I'll stick at three though - while a reading of the rules leads me to believe that I'd be entitled to Irish nationality as well if I chose to apply, I've never even been there so it doesn't really seem appropriate.

Well, I'm glad to see you have a hobby. Most people would just stick to the stamps from around the world. Suze goes the extra mile and collects citizenship papers. My mother only got so far as collecting spoons on vacation...and even then she just got three...Vegas, DisneyWorld and Toronto.

Polish on my mother side ( Fourth Generation) Czechoslovakian on my father side (Also Fourth Generation) But at this point, I just answer to "Hey you!"

bobwilson
449041.  Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
And indeed, no law preventing the kind of downloading which would be illegal in just about every other major nation.

Here in the UK we only have laws so that we can find inventive ways to ignore them. Sadly, the current generation has had an irony bypass (or they just got bored) leading to the rise of an authentic yob culture without the humour.

soup
449043.  Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Lukecash wrote:

As for my spelling, it amuses me to no end that my spell checker has underlined many of your words and marked them wrong. You may use the Queens English-but I use Firefox Spellchecker...and thus proving once again that machine is truly mightier than sovereigns.

But surely that would depend on what dictionary your spellchecker used. Mine uses a UK English dictionary so it marks harbor as wrong but leaves harbour alone.

Oh and as a minor pedant point (must start of on the right foot) "Queens English" should have an apostrophe, so Queen's English. Would put a winky smiley here but a lot of forumers dislike them.

Welcome by the way .

E-tea and E-biscuits over there
<---------------------------
Naughty corner and art supplies over there
---------------------------->

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next