View previous topic | View next topic

Cheating?

Page 1 of 1

scoot
439822.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:20 am Reply with quote

Is this really cheating?

CB27
439858.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote

It's dumb idiots and newspapers willing to publish their stories, is what it is.

Jenny
439877.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quote

Not necessarily dumb. People can build up quite intense relationships online.

CB27
439911.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote

Sorry, was just being a littel too one linerish there, but havnig read the story this morning, it's more than just falling in love online (nothing wrong there) and it's more than just spending countless hours a day living online through your avatar (slightly silly IMO, but each to their own), but when you read their story you see how fickle both seem.

Why am I not surprised that the newspapers have already managed to interview those concerned, have pictures of the real people, pictures of their avatars, pictures of the online wedding of their avatars, etc...

dr.bob
439944.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote

It may not be "cheating" in the traditional sense of the word, but the actions of those involved are probably a good sign that there are serious problems with the relationship.

Davini994
440010.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
We weren't even having cyber sex or anything like that we were just chatting and hanging out together. It was nothing really major.

I'm quite a big geek, but in comparison to these people I'm unbelievably cool.

djgordy
440624.  Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:06 am Reply with quote

Apparently, the aggrieved lady in this story is now in a relationship with someone she met on the "World of Warcraft" site. Two things occur to me.

First of all, she ought to get out more.

Secondly, I've never played World of Warcraft as I don't like computer games but, from what I understand, it involves a lot of virtual fighting*. If the lady in question left her previous gentleman friend because she thinks having a virtual affair is the same as having a real affair, is she going to leave her current paramour on the grounds that fighting someone in the virtual world is the same as fighting someone in the real world?

*The name kinda gives it away.

Arcane
440642.  Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:39 am Reply with quote

South Park did a parody of World of Warcraft. Hilarious!

The couple in question met online, and he/she/both had an "affair" online. Were they honestly surprised? And would someone mind telling them that they really need to understand there's a delineation between the real and online world?!

Yes DJ, they outghta get out more. Perhaps some fresh air and exercise could do them both good, and possibly re-connect them with the real world again!

*I know people do "meet" online Jenny, but I'm not convinced it's the same as a face to face relationship!

smiley_face
440664.  Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote

Two of my best friends met through World of Warcraft and have been living together for over two years now, so it can work out.

That said, they do actually have real life social lives, and have both stopped playing WoW, so are relatively normal people.

Arcane
440672.  Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:29 am Reply with quote

Your friends sound like they have more in common to base a relationship on than the online games that were played. Something in common is what sparks relationships - what keeps a successful relationship going is that and much more.

Glad to hear they're going well. It's always good to hear about a relationship that's working!

Davini994
440756.  Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote

scoot
441006.  Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote

I have to say my favourite thing about this story is how they have obviously based their avatars on thmselves so well. ;-p

Arcane
441020.  Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:13 am Reply with quote

Oh yeah, no reality check needed there *rolls eyes*

djgordy
441041.  Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:50 am Reply with quote

There wouldn't be much point in having a second life it if was the same as your regular life.

Arcane
441052.  Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote

Make your real life worth it and there is no need for Second Life.

(Dave, your picture takes ages to load!)

Page 1 of 1