View previous topic | View next topic

aah. that username may be troublesome........

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

TheElephant
430665.  Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote

hello all.

I've been joining in on the Stephen Fry forum recently, and noticed a few new members there had said they were regulars here, so I figured I'd make the trip the other way.

...and that username? well, the first topic I read (was the top unstickied 'knock, knock' at the time) had a post blaming the elephant for eating people's cake !! I hope I won't be getting an instant reputation for that kind of thing. (though I do like cake.......... a lot.)

Jenny
430674.  Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Elephant :-)

When I was checking the new registrations, your email address turned up on a couple of Russian language forums, which was something I thought Quite Interesting. Do tell us about it.

suze
430679.  Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote

Hi TheElephant, welcome aboard!

Yes, a cake-eating pachyderm already resides in our virtual lounge, but there's plenty of room for another!

bobwilson
430681.  Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
When I was checking the new registrations, your email address turned up on a couple of Russian language forums

What? Is there some kind of clearing house for forums?

Oh - and btw TheElephant - I believe there's a virtually unlimited supply of buns but I'd watch out for the fermenting fruit if I were you.

Jenny
430683.  Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:

What? Is there some kind of clearing house for forums?

When a new poster registers, I check the email address on google - this is often a good way of uncovering spammers because there are a fair few 'stop forum spam' banlists around.

TheElephant
430693.  Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Welcome Elephant :-)

When I was checking the new registrations, your email address turned up on a couple of Russian language forums, which was something I thought Quite Interesting. Do tell us about it.

You know as much as I do !

though googling the address, the actual pages that come up look like repositories for email addresses to be spammed. I guess if mine's already there it won't make much difference that I looked, but hopefully you won't be suffering a spam uppage in the future.

bobwilson
430700.  Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote

Hmm - that reminds me of something I watched the other day. Some programme about mail frauds - worthy of a thread of its' own probably.

What struck me was how easy it was (or appeared to be) for the tv company to trap the criminals. If it's really that easy then why don't the police use the same techniques? They're not constrained by the same strictures to get a programme onto TV in a limited time so they could gather an incredible amount of information leading to lengthy jail terms for the perps. And if the stats given in the programme are correct then it's certainly an area worthy of pursuing.

samivel
430703.  Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote

Welcome :)

Arcane
430909.  Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote

Greetings and welcome TheElephant!

Bondee
430984.  Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote

How do Elephant.

The band in your sig... Is it you?

I've just had a listen. It's not bad!

QiScorpion
430990.  Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote

Hello Elephant!

not wishing to be offensive, but is the prefix "nellie" missing from your username? :P

In your party bag there will be a slice of cake. I'll make sure the resident elephant (whose toes are sore, please don't tread on them) doesn't snaffle it...

anyway. welcome!

Prof Wind Up Merchant
431145.  Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Hey doin' TheElephant.

Amie
431860.  Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote

Hello and welcome!

TheElephant
431898.  Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
How do Elephant.

The band in your sig... Is it you?

I've just had a listen. It's not bad!

Not mine, but I do know the guys.

I was in the pub a couple of years back watching some match or other, and when it finished the band came on, and blew us away (the couple of mates I was with). to be honest, the stuff on myspace isn't their best, so I've added their own website link to my sig. has all four tracks from last years Tree e.p. on it.
....and they've just been in the studio, and recorded a couple of new tunes that are probably better again.

Cookie Crumbler
437911.  Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
When a new poster registers, I check the email address on google
I wonder how many people read that and instantly open a new tab in their browser to Google their e-mail address to see what comes up (a very obvious trap that I fell into!). No results though, so I'm ok :D

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next