View previous topic | View next topic

Cape Verde

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

gruff5
449436.  Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote

Going there on your holidays? (I'm going to Morocco, so shall wave at you)

Davini994
449938.  Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote

You lucky chap! No, I just happened to be reading about it, as you do, and felt it was interesting enough to share.

Dr. Know
449942.  Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote

My parents went to morocco for their honey moon. Say everyone's poor + the street venders are very pushy.

suze
449963.  Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote

We went to Morocco a few years back. While many people are undoubtedly poor, by the standards of Africa it's really quite a wealthy nation. The street vendors can get quite wearing after a while, but they're not really any better or worse than the ones in Turkey - and if you ignore them often enough, they eventually get the message.

As for Cape Verde, my mother-in-law has been there. That trip was a freebie - a friend of hers works for one of the major tour operators, and was evaluating the place for addition to the tour schedules. (It got added.)

Zebra57
651151.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote

Cape Verde is on the coast of Africa should not this country be correctly called the Cape Verde Islands?

suze
651172.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote

No. Although the nation is indeed a group of islands, its official long form name in English is Republic of Cape Verde (in Portuguese, República de Cabo Verde, and in Kabuverdianu, Republika di Kabuverdi).

After all, we do not refer to the "Japan Islands".

Dr. Know
651175.  Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote

I might be making this up, but I think I've heard then referred to as Japanese isles.

Zebra57
664341.  Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote

QI is that Cape Verde is the western most tip of the African continent. The Cape Verde Peninsula is in Senegal. The country are the islands off the peninsula.

Zebra57
692916.  Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote

Cape Verde has now signalled its formal intenet to seek EU membership

suze
693086.  Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote

It can seek EU membership all it likes, but it won't get in. The next three countries to join the EU will be Croatia, Iceland, and Macedonia FYR, probably in that order. After that, Canada will be admitted before Turkey is, and Turkey will be admitted before Cape Verde is.

nitwit02
693128.  Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
After that, Canada will be admitted

I do hope so ...

scottydog
693186.  Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote

Cape Verde is lovely but the mozzies ate me alive. There is also pretty serious malaria which means those awful pills must be taken.

Morocco is my favourite place in Africa (so far). It's a bit of a cheesy thing but I read on my first visit that if Morocco were a tree it would have it's roots firmly set in Africa but it's leaves breathing European Air.

This is especially true of 'resorty' type places on the Atlantic coast with their seafronts of French style bars and cafe bars, just a short walk from the traditional towns and souks.

Marakesh is really worth a visit IMHO. Ditch the stupid tours taking the hordes around the tanneries and whatever else - this you can see on telly. The fantastic thing about Marakesh is its duality. Grab a meal at the j'maa el fna before running away from the tourists and into the old town, then finally walk for 20 mins to the new town and sit in some of the most stylish and coolest bars I've ever been in. This culture and duality can onlyu be experienced.

As for the hawkers and vendors, they are often pushy in Africa (and other places) but this should be taken as part of the fun. It's great to arrive in some remore airport in Africa and be flooded by the myriad of sounds, noises, smells, and the total sensory overload - the hawkers are just part of this.

Zebra57
694043.  Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Suze: I understood that in 2008 Canada announced its intention to seek a free trade agreement with the EU on similar lines to Norway and Switzerland. I was not aware that it had upped the ante to aspire to full membership.

Cape Verde's argument is similar to Turkey. They believe that they can be a bridge between Europe and Asia whereas CV aspire to be a bridge between Europe and Africa.

Canada a bridge between Europe and America?

suze
694049.  Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Canada has not lodged an application for full membership of the EU, and the number in Canada who seriously espouse it is small (but growing).

A lot will depend on what happens to NAFTA - neither the USA nor Canada is especially happy with the way NAFTA has worked, and the USA in particular gets all French about it and just ignores NAFTA rulings with which it disagrees. If either Canada or the USA ever chooses to withdraw from NAFTA then NAFTA is dead, and that can't be ruled out.

No, it's not very likely that Canada will ever join the EU. But I still reckon it will join ahead of Turkey.

(Canadian full membership of the Council of Europe is rather less unlikely. It's currently a sort of associate member, but there's some pressure within Europe to kick out the USA and Japan - who are associate members in the same way. If that did happen, then Canada and perhaps Australia might well be quietly admitted to full membership.)

Zebra57
1126928.  Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Portugal 0 Cape Verde 2

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9783856/portugal-stunned-by-cape-verde-ibrahimovic-on-target-for-sweden

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next